How Do You Use Overripe Fruits?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Denis Hard • Nov 4, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Overripe fruit shouldn't be thrown out before they spoil. Even if you think you can't eat all the overripe fruits all at once here are some ways to use up the fruits before it's too late:

- use overripe bananas to make banana bread.
    - make juice. The kids will like it.
    - use overripe stawberries to make jam.
    - make smoothies

Any other ways you use overripe fruits?

2. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Totally right - there is absolutely no reason to discard fruit just because its over ripe - particularly as - not only is the nutritional value of fruit not comprised if slightly overripe and it is therefore perfectly good to eat - but there are an abundance of ways in which to put over ripe fruit to good use

For example - apart from freezing the fruits as they are for later use - they are ideal for turning into

Juices, smoothies, ice pops, sorbets or granitas
    Incorporating into almost any dessert - not just fruit salads
    Fruit sauces, purees and jams - both for savory and sweet dishes
    Fruit breads, muffins etc
    Over ripe bananas are easily dried in the oven or made into delicious ice creams

all of which can be frozen and eaten at a later date.

Or if feeling a little adventurous you could always dry them - especially as many fruits are easily dried in the oven, turn them into candied fruits or even - use them to make wine.

3. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    My Mom is awesome at this stuff.

She always freezes overripe bananas, and makes the most awesome pie ever.
    We're talking 100 % black bananas.
    I don't know exactly how the pie is made. But she freezes them, and whenever she has three or four she goes for the pie.
    She probably does this with other fruits also...

I just blend it, or eat it anyway :p

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My husband is a fruit snob, as soon as he sees a bruise on fruit, he refuses to eat it. He won't even cut around it, so i'm often left to eat all the manky fruit LOL Alternatively, we put it in the blender and make smoothies. Of course, he doesn't always get to see the state of the fruit before it's put in the blender ;)

5. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I like to freeze my overripe fruit. I use the frozen bananas in muffins, breads, and smoothies. Overripe strawberries are great in smoothies. I take overripe raspberries and cook them down into a coulis which I use as a nice sweet sauce to serve over ice cream or pound cake. It just seems like such a waste to thrown out the fruit. If I can find another use for it I will. Cooking with the fruit is a great way to use up the overripe fruit and no one is the wiser.

6. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I eat it anyway lol. More sugar! lol. Except pears, that's just gross lol. So the same as what you would use it for anyway.. smoothies, pies, ice cream/sorbet, breads, fruit rollups and other dried treats, sauces, dressings, salads etc etc etc etc etc

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I prefer making smoothies the most because I actually find overripe fruits in their original form kind of gross, to be completely honest, and when it's in fruit shake form at least I can stop thinking about it and just enjoy the taste. It has to be only a certain amount of overripe though as too much doesn't taste that good to me, even when they are in shake form already. Unfortunately we don't have an oven so it's unlikely I will be able to make overripe bananas into banana bread but I have always been curious because it's actually one of the few types of bread I actually I enjoy since I don't really enjoy bread that much at all.

8. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The most common fruits to go overripe in our dining table is the banana and the mango. Although we only have mango during summer but with banana, it is a whole year round affair. I only buy a few bananas to avoid wastage but when my calculations go wrong and some bananas are going bad, I would slice the good parts in cubes and make an ice cream out of it. The kids love it for dessert - just added sugar and fresh milk.

9. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    Throwing away food is extremely wasteful. When you throw away food you are physically throwing money away into the garbage! That being said, there have been times when I have found an old orange or tomato in the back of the refrigerator that is too beyond being usable. However, if I notice that I have some produce starting to over-ripen, I do try to use it up. As you said, making banana bread is a delicious way to use up bananas. Here are some other ideas that I use my over-ripe produce for:

• Frozen bananas make great ice cream when blended with peanut butter.
    • Apples can easily be made into homemade applesauce with cinnamon in the slow cooker.
    • Homemade freezer apple pie filling or peach apple pie filling requires you to cut, peel, add ingredients to a freezer bag and freeze. That's it!
    • Fruit cobbler, with oatmeal and brown sugar uses up almost any fruit.
    • Leftover vegetables make great vegetable soup!

10. bigsumm22

bigsumm22New Member

Threads:
    Smoothies, easiest way to use up those overripe fruits! I will go to the grocery store and see people picking through the bananas that they think are nasty, and I get it. But for me, I know exactly the smoothie I will make with those overripe bananas, so works out perfect for me. Now, however, of course I don't buy only overripe fruits because we do enjoy them outside of a smoothie but I feel as if I have no problem buying the leftover bananas at the store that no one wants because I know I have a plan for those. I've never made banana bread but have heard of many people using overriped bananas for that purpose. Also, again, never made this, but heard that if you have overripe bananas to freeze them and make ice cream out of them. Sounds yummy to me! Either way, at my house we try to use up all our ingredient's we purchase each week as to not waste food, to the best we can.

11. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We do not have fruit going bad in this house, it is eaten to fast. Bananas are used in bread or muffins if they are not all eaten. Also apples are used in breads or muffins and breakfast as spiced apples or apple sauce but mostly eaten up before that can happen.