How Far Off Are Credit Scores

Discussion in Personal Finance started by Rosyrain • Apr 8, 2016.

1. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    A few months ago I had my credit pulled and noticed that my actual bureau scores are higher than the ones that report on the credit tracking sites. I currently use mybankrate.com and the one on Capital One website and they always seem to report lower. How many points are the credit tracking sites usually off by?

2. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I use credit trackers with capital 1 and credit 1. Before I used to think they were the same entity. But my scores are off by about 10 points. I would like to use a paid service for comparison.

3. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I guess the only way to really know is to pull then from the 3 credit bureaus and pay for them that way. I would never pay a credit tracking service for my report or scores because it is not as accurate.

4. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I don;t pay for this service. Since I already have charge cards with both financial institutions, this is a free service. The only thing that has consistency is when my score goes up or down.

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's like a fraud service. Why would anyone pay just to have their credit scores tracked? I agree, it's supposed to be a free service since it is every person's right to know his or her credit score. If disclosing credit scores means you have to shell out money, then it seems like credit tracking sites are taking advantage of you. You can directly ask the bureau. The scores they give take precedence above other agencies, right?

6. TungstenCube

TungstenCubeNew Member

Threads:
    It honestly doesn't matter whether they're far off or not. The lender will take a look at the number and objectively say how good of a borrower you might be. It can be right or wrong in your opinion, but the problem is that the lender doesn't have a whole lot more to go off of.

7. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Right! I have a First Premier card for emergencies only and not long ago, something strange happened. For the past few months, they'd been contacting me about getting a second card. I thought an increase on my current card would be better so I requested that instead. They turned me down because, according to their records, my score is too low. What they show is more than 100 points lower than other systems.