How far would you go to save?

Discussion in Savings & Investments Plans started by Denis Hard • Apr 21, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The cost of living in small towns is lower in most places in the world. The preference to stay and live in a big city probably is because of the many 'attractions' the city offers. Everyone's goal is to live a happy life but at the end of the day, you have to retire and to live well after that, you'll need to have saved and invested enough.

Would you sacrifice some comforts to secure you future since you'll be able to save more?

2. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Truthfully, I wish I could move to the outskirts where there is nothing to do because the cost of living is much cheaper. Though the climate is more extreme, these changes don't happen often.

In the past, I have taken my lunch to work, clipped coupons, and driven only half-way to work as a way to save gas. When I have a goal in mind (eg saving $20-100 a month), this helps a great deal.

3. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    Staying in the country to save money isn't a bad idea, but you have to factor in transportation costs; you might not save as much as you think. I clip coupons, cook at home from scratch, buy generic products and a lot more to try to save money.

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't concern myself too much with saving for the future. I like to live in the present. If I find myself having to make too many sacrifices, then something is clearly wrong in my life. I don't mind compromises, but sacrifices are not my cup of tea. Living in a city has never agreed with me for long. I am a country person who is working towards self-sustainability as much as possible. For me, it's not all about comfort, but more about progress and having a rich life experience.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To be honest Dora, I like that kind of principle of reality.

Live for the moment — who knows what tomorrow may have in store for you? Maybe sometimes we sacrifice too much thinking too much about a future that might never be.

6. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Living in a city or place I want is one sacrifice I won't make (within reason). I have no problems looking for great deals, clipping coupons, taking a lunch to school/work etc. But at some point, you have to enjoy life too! And for me personally, choosing a city or place I want to live is very important for me. I like to be around things and people in a city, so commuting is something i'd like to avoid.

7. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Yes. I would rather sacrifice a part of comfort today than have it taken away form me in the future. I sometimes skip lunch or take a walk just to save me a few dollars, but not to the point that I'm living like a rat though. I always save money, you'll never know when the time comes and you need some extra. Although living in the city sounds great, the cost of living will cripple you down, if you want to breathe the city life style then you have to do a little saving on your part.

8. MrsWilson2012

MrsWilson2012Member

Threads:
    How far would you go?

I see shows on tv where people wear dirty clothes and eat food out of the dumpster in an effort to live as cheaply as possible. One show even showed a lady reusing toilet paper. To me, this is too far. Saving money is important, but not so important as to accept poor quality of life. I will coupon, I will bargain hunt, but I will not settle for a dirty existence... Just my personal preferences.

9. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Well, we have no choice but to live in the city really. We need to be within walking distance of our medical appointments given current circumstances. But even if that weren't the case, I'd still take living in the city because in our case it would add up with transportation costs and all that being further out anyway *and* we'd be further away from all the things that are beneficial about living in a city. We are trying to do more in the way of saving though, but I don't think we'll ever be "extreme" about it in the way that some people seem to be.

10. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    I think it is not always the location where you live that matters. You can live in the city and be cheap and likewise, live in the rural areas and be extravagant! In order to save, you have to keep a habit of saving. You can go bargain hunt, buy in volume, grow your food, or do whatever you want - for as long as you live in a decent way... and while saving money.

11. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    Hi, you probably have no children at this moment.. and perhaps you are in the prime of your health. You will realize the value of savings when thing like children and sickness comes to you.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I try to balance it as much as possible. I do tend to think a lot about the future and I save a lot because of it but I also try and spend without guilt as much as I can at the present because I don't want to overdo my thriftiness. I think a healthy balance of both is the best because if you save too much for the future then you risk missing out on doing the things you want to do right now.