How fast do you eat your food?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by MellowGuy • Sep 17, 2012.

1. MellowGuy

MellowGuyMember

Threads:
    I'm sure many of us have received the instruction to chew "20 times" before swallowing. I found that I can count in one hand the times I've actually followed or even remembered this instruction. As I get older and the issues of indigestion and heartburn and many other discomforts start to creep in, I start to remember this simple rule. Gone are the days when I can inhale burgers and pizzas within minutes without repercussion.

Anyone else on the same boat? How fast do you eat and do you actually chew your food? :D

2. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Have you ever seen a Marine eat? Because that is how I was taught to eat - time is precious and you shouldn't waste it taking your time eating. Choking is for the weak! Seriously though one day I will stop inhaling my food... maybe.

3. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    I know that I generally chew my food too fast, particularly when I am attempting to multitask. I have started to be a little more conscious of how I am eating, and when I do, I feel more calm overall. I try to remember that thorough chewing results in better nutrient absorption. I'm a work in progress...

4. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    Eating slow is great advice. Can't say I follow it on a regular basis. Someone always seems to need something. Ever seen A Christmas Story? The part where the mom keeps getting up to get stuff? That's me. So I eat fast so I can enjoy the food before one of the kids needs something.

5. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    I am actually a very slow eater, no else in my family eats as slow as I do. My friend gets on to me all the because I eat like a turtle.

6. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    I eat fast with my arm covering my plate and a shiv in my pocket...I never stopped eating this way once I got out of prison. It is kind of comforting to have something be the same and consistent over time.

7. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Aw, you eat adorably! Just one big piece of lettute you're trying to hold with your little paw things and you keep missing your mouth. So cute!

8. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I'm a naturally fast eater, but I've developed the habit of putting down my knife and fork between each mouthful, which automatically slows down the eating time. I also tend to take bigger bites when possible, so I have to chew more before I can swallow. I don't think I chew anywhere near 20 times for each mouthful, though. Does anybody?

9. jaimie_lorraine

jaimie_lorraineMember

Threads:
    I have heard of this rule but I do not follow it. When I am eating I want to enjoy my food and company and not spend my time counting how many chews it takes me to eat something. Even though I do not count, I don't believe that I inhale my food by any means.

10. fishyfinz

fishyfinzMember

Threads:
    I eat really slowly. Not because I'm counting the number of times I'm chewing my food but I'm just a slow eater in general. I've never concentrated on how many times I chew my food because that would just kill the taste for me. But yes, chewing your food rather than just munching and swallowing is definitely the right way to go about it as it helps in digestion.

11. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    My husband does this. He shovels his food down. I can't imagine why he does this. He spent some time in jail before he met me, but generally speaking when he and I are eating there's nobody else in the vicinity, and I'm not going to steal his food. I prefer to eat slowly, because I like to enjoy the taste of what I'm eating. I hate when I'm forced by time constraints to rush through my food.

12. vjykmr89

vjykmr89Member

Threads:
    i eat my food too fast I have been trying to eat faster because everyone else gets done and leaves me behind

13. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I eat fast! I mean fast like I can finish a full plate for about 5 minutes. I actually chew the food well. I just do it fast because I am always on a rush especially during breakfast because I still have to go to school.

Chewing is really important because as you age, your enteric nervous system also slows down a bit and that also slows down the peristalsis of your GI. Now if you don't eat the food well, you are swallowing big boluses that is a stress to our GI to propel and digest. Sometimes this could lead to abbrations on our esphagus that could lead to ulcers. So chew your food well guys!

14. Kam147

Kam147Member

Threads:
    When I was a patrol cop, I was a big fan of the Marine Corps boot camp method - eat fast and eat a lot. As I got older (and out of full-time law enforcement), I developed a love for cooking, and I learned what it means to truly appreciate a good meal. I enjoy the entire experience - shopping for the ingredients, doing the prep work, cooking, eating, and even cleaning up. I am still capable of pounding down calories when the situation dictates that approach, but I prefer savoring my meals from the first bite until the last. I can and often still employ the shovel method - I know how to eat for energy, but I prefer to eat for fun.

15. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I try not to eat super fast.

I don't count my every bite, though. I think that would get really tedious and would take away from being able to enjoy the food.

To get yourself into the habit of slowing down, it could be really helpful.

16. cmarten

cmartenMember

Threads:
    Counting times I chew would gross me out I think. I don't think I eat particularly fast, as I dawdle between bites. However, I don't eat at a table in the classic sit-down method. I usually eat while working or writing, so it takes a while to get the whole meal done. I'm sure I don't chew most things 20 times though.

17. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    I'm a fast eater too, and have been told many times to go slow and chew. Old habits die hard, and I usually am through with my food in no time at all. Touch wood, haven't choked ever!

18. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I generally eat fast, unless I'm at a table with others, in which case I will try to eat as fast as everyone else. My aunt eats painfully slow, we've all called her out on it at family get togethers, especially when we're at a restaurant, because she will hold everyone else up for hours. Part of the reason I eat kinda fast though is I want to enjoy the food while it is still hot and fresh, not lukewarm or room temperature. Some things were meant to be eaten immediately, such as poached eggs, or a salad that will become wilted and soggy if you take too long.

19. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I have not followed this advice. At times, I am conscious of how fast I eat my food, while at other times I am not. I hate scarfing down my food faster than John Goodman, but it's not good. I have also read that if you count how many times you chew then you will become fuller quicker and thus save you money.

My fiancee is a slow eater, but it's good because I like to relax after my meal and I can just sit there and wait for her to finish.

20. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My family told me that I'm quite a slow eater. I thought that my family just eats way to fast, but when I was eating with my friends, I was also the last one to eat too, and I wasn't even blabbing while we were eating, but I still finished last. I think I also chew my food slowly, but not that slow as to really immerse myself in the thought of actually chewing and tasting the food.