How Good A Cook Are You?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Denis Hard • Mar 31, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some people [those who can afford it] opt to eat out more because "they can't cook." In other words they're no good at cooking and will only do it only they're forced to. But cooking isn't rocket science. Anyone can learn to be a good cook. Forget the myths that men can't cook. I was a better cook than my cousins and many other female relatives and friends as a matter of fact.

The more you cook the better [a cook] you'll get to be; just like everything else. And the money you'd save . . .

Do you guys agree that the better a cook you are, the less you'll dine out?

2. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am a decent cook, but nothing extraordinary. I do agree with what you say, the better we cook, the less we go out, but at the same time many times I don't have money to go out to eat regardless of how good I can cook.

3. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I don't want to toot my own horn so I'll call my family over here to toot it ALL over the place. :D

I'm an adventurous cook. I'm definitely not a chef but there's never been a recipe I couldn't make & alter to suit my audience. I love cooking.

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am a good cook and eat at home most of the time. I have a nervous stomach and have to be careful of what I eat. I usually eat light, something simple like yogurt, salad or tuna salad. A easy pasta salad is also a good choice.

5. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I'm by no means a gourmet chef in the making, but I do fancy myself a pretty good cook. It is true, you get better with practice, and with 4 kids at home, going out to eat is not just expensive, it is work. Sometimes a celebration dinner includes buying some expensive steaks and putting kids to bed early.

That said, my favorite thing to do is eat out at restaurants. I love to be served. I love not having to prep and then clean up. I don't even really care if the food is all that good - I'm pretty happy to pay for the break from my daily life. Haha.

6. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I'd like to think that I'm a reasonably decent cook. Or, at the very least, what I can cook I'm fairly decent at doing : ). I must admit I do tend to stay in my comfort zone of dishes, which means I probably improve the quality of a very small collection of meals. I'm starting to be a bit more adventurous. But at the very least I'm able to make sure I don't starve ;)

7. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I am not that great at cooking. I have never been a very good cook. The maximum that I can prepare is Maggie and tea.

8. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not a bad cook, but I enjoy cooking, and eating out. Because I travel a lot, I prefer to cook as a home cooked meal is what you miss when you are on the road. Being able to cook pasta just as you like it and add the right amount of sauce is perfect.

Cooking takes practice and as long as you don't see it as a chore, you can follow recipes easily as long as you have patience and the right equipment.

9. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I've gotten pretty decent in the last few years at cooking. I don't know many different recipes, but I can make enough things where I don't have to cook and eat the same thing every night if I don't want to. The big thing that got me better at cooking was just experimenting with different things and taking chances with different spices and such over ground beef and chicken. It's also been fun to do so and trying to find interesting and tasty things to eat.

10. sazzydan

sazzydanMember

Threads:
    I think it depends on how much time you have. If you are a bad cook with lots of time, then you could teach yourself step by step how to cook good food, but if you do not have the time eating out is just much more convenient.

I consider myself to be a good cook, because I used to be a chef, but others are not as lucky and do not cook. I think everyone should learn how to cook, it tends to be much cheaper to make your own meals compared to buying them.

11. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have no idea.. I've never been someone to eat at restaurants a lot, even when I was eating terribly and would have enjoyed the convenience. I am a good cook though. With practice, you become so good, you don't even need recipes.. you get a very good idea of what ingredients add to the recipe and how much is just right etc.. it's more fun to play around.

12. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Very poor, but good enough so that I don't HAVE to go out to eat, although occasionally I will do so. I did food technology classes but still didn't acquire much knowledge.

13. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm a good enough cook that I'd be confident to follow new recipes knowing that I'd more likely pull it off but I think I still would rather just eat out if I could just because it is way more convenient and it doesn't leave you having to clean up a lot of plates, utensils, and pots. Cooking is very fulfilling though so from time to time I still prefer it but often I'm too lazy.

14. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I agree that when you can cook, there is no need to always eat out. I love to cook and I am always watching cooking shows and reading food blogs, and all the fine points of information have really improved my cooking.
    Even if you cook simple, it is still tasty. I only go out to eat for special occasions. I cook well enough to make special occasion great for my family and friends. I like the creativity and simplicity. The work is worth it.
    These days, you have to be careful eating out, because you never really know what you are getting.

15. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a fairly good cook and I enjoy it quite a lot. Yes, I'd say if I didn't cook well and didn't enjoy it I'd probably eat out more often. (I'd also probably not be married to the man I'm married to.)

I don't think I'd be too happy, though, if I never went out. Going out somehow makes me appreciate my own cooking more. Not that I don't enjoy my meals out, but just that a change is good and sometimes makes you realize what you have at home a little more clearly.