How Important Is Packaging To You?

Discussion in Shopping Discussion started by Diane Lane • Jan 27, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When you shop online, how important is packaging to you? Do you care if the item is shoved in a reused envelope or carefully wrapped in tissue paper? Do you expect a thank you note or card enclosed? I try to make my packages look cute, and I do go the extra mile usually, especially on handmade items. With some items, I'm more concerned about them arriving intact, so I will focus on packing them well in bubble wrap, and they might not be as pretty, or might not have as many extras such as a thank you note. What is important to you when you purchase items online? I'm talking about items purchased from smaller shops, not huge retailers/big box stores.

I don't usually expect sellers to go out of their way, especially if it's something I didn't pay much for on a site like eBay, but occasionally someone will, and it does leave a good impression with me. Do y'all feel the same?

2. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I don't mind if that packaging looks fancy. Now if it comes and the box is dirty, tore up, and covered in tape to keep it together, I will be super worried about my item in the package. I'll be panicked that it is in the same condition. But I like when people do it nicely. Put stuff in a nice box and wrap it up. The box can be used, I don't mind as long as it doesn't look like you ran over it with a pick up truck in the mud. Even then I won't care too much as long as I get my item in great condition, but I think those who go the extra mile will get repeat customers.

3. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    I don't care what they put it in as long as it's sealed tightly and durably. But I am happy when I get a neat package. It makes it fun to receive products!

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm probably not one to ask, I actually want as little packaging as possible lol.. I find it very wasteful. I just want my item and a little cushion if it's breakable.

5. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, not at all, @JosieP@JosieP everyone's opinion is important. I don't like a lot of packaging myself, because it clutters up my trash can. Even though the trash is picked up twice a week, there's only so much room in there, and I'd rather not waste it. I do recycle a lot of the packaging I get, but sometimes that's not practical, especially if it's discolored or damaged.

@shoptodrop@shoptodrop I agree, when it's nicely packaged, it can be like receiving a gift, even if I've purchased it for myself.

@Verity Darkwaters@Verity Darkwaters Yes, I'm the same. I also don't care as long as it doesn't look too bad and the item is intact. However, if there's a little care taken to personalize the package, it does tend to stand out in my mind. I purchased a simple t-shirt the other day and when I received it, it was wrapped in pretty tissue paper, and even though it was shipped in a plastic mailing envelope, the envelope was an unusual (pretty) color, so I really enjoyed opening it.

6. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    When you shop online, how important is packaging to you?
    • Hmmm... As long as the package is wrapped carefully, I'm fine with it. Of course I would appreciate it if the packaging is cute, that definitely adds some points for the shop. But as long as my item arrived in one piece and it's of good quality, then I'm fine with ordinary packaging.
    Do you care if the item is shoved in a reused envelope or carefully wrapped in tissue paper?
    • Well, it doesn't matter much if the item is in one piece. Cute packaging usually comes when I order on Korean or Japanese products. But with other items, I rarely get such cute packaging.
    Do you expect a thank you note or card enclosed?
    • I love receiving thank you notes but not a lot of shops spend the time to actually make ones. Whenever I see bloggers unboxing their stuffs, I see thank you notes which makes me a bit jealous, lol.
    What is important to you when you purchase items online?
    • Item quality is the number one feature for me. If you can give me a good quality item, then it doesn't matter what the packaging is. But if you do that as well, then I'm pretty sure I'd patronise your shop more.

7. jamesfende

jamesfendeMember

Threads:
    as long as my package is safe and secure then the packaging doesnt make a difference to me, it can be covered in tape or really fancy, either way its going in the bin so it doesnt matter at all in my eyes.

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am more concerned with the item arriving with no damage to the item. This holiday season I sold some toys online which all came in their own box but one. I had a very hard time finding a box to fit that toy, I had to make my own box which was a mess. I felt bad shipping that box to the buyer but it was the best I could do. I did not get a complaint so it must have been ok.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I care a lot about packaging but I could let it pass as long as I got my product in good condition and even then I am extremely peeved whenever the product box itself comes a bit dented though I admit I usually just try and understand since I know I would just be more worried about the product inside anyway. Most of the time it only bothers me when I buy it as a gift and in which case I would prefer the box to be as perfect as possible but by now I've bought so much online that I'm actually a bit used to it so I don't complain that much anymore as I know the worst I should expect and if I'm not ready to deal with that I would just shop at a brick and mortar store instead.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really don't care about how the packaging looks like, the most important thing that counts is that the item arrives intact and damage-free. I used to get items damaged on arrival because they got squished, even if they were in a box or bubble wrap.

11. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I only care if it is not damaged. I can have it rolled up in newspaper and taped in a bunch of old bags. I don't care. I just don't want my items smashed or leaking out into the box. That is the worst.