How is your posture at the computer?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Pat • Aug 14, 2014.

1. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We are spending more and more time on computers doing all sorts of things like reading books, typing papers or looking at movies.

I saw a commerical that addressed the fact that because of this increased time on the computer we are become slumped shoulder people because our posture is incorrect when we sit in one position for a long period of time. That statement made me stop and think about my own posture, true I was slumped over the computer.

What about you, are sitting in a good chair with your spine straight or are slumped over the computer?

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I totally slouch at the computer. I moved months ago and my desk isn't set up yet, so I'm on my computer at my dining table and the chair isn't as comfortable as my normal desk chair, so I'm sitting slouched over. I usually have better posture when I'm sitting in my ergonomic desk chair that has back support.

3. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Very bad! My posture in front of a computer is the worse possible, I get slumped and twist my neck to sit down, and when I'm with my laptop or iPad in my bed it's even worse because I get all twisted and lay down on the bed with only my head up, which is probably horrible for my spine.

4. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    Not good, to be honest. When I catch myself slouching, I would sit straight but I don't maintain it for long. I am looking for a new computer table that is just the right height for me. I have also read that having a standing desk helps so you just don't sit all day.

5. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I also slouch and hunch toward the screen whenever I'm sitting in front of the computer. I occasionally also lean back onto my chair but I'm still not sitting straight. Sometimes I try to sit up straight but I couldn't last very long as I'll slouch back into place because I'm already used to the posture, perhaps muscle memory at fault here. I know this is bad practice but sitting up straight for long periods of time is really tiring, not to mention my bottom hurts.

6. johnnear

johnnearActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah I was a slump shoulder computer guy back then and I had take pain killers just to ease my neck and back pain. I've invested on a standing desk now since it's much more healthier than sitting all day. I also found out that I was more productive standing rather than sitting which is really beneficial, it's a win : win situation for me, if you don't count the leg pain of course. But if you do it for a week you will get used to it eventually.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I seldom sit up straight when I'm in front of the pc, I always slouch, and it seems more comfortable too as compared to sitting straight. I guess it's time to correct my awful habit. Sometimes I rest my back on the computer chair, but I mostly find myself leaning towards the pc.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I always make a conscious effort to keep my back straight while in from of the computer, because I've grown used to it as I always have kept conscious of my posture even when standing or sitting at the dining table. I only ever slouch when I'm relaxing on the couch and even then I only do so because I'm way too comfortable and almost lying down. I'm planning on getting a better chair though so that I don't have to try as hard to straighten my back and maybe let the chair do most of the work.

9. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    No, I can't seem to put spine in a straight position every time I work in front of my computer. I think I've adapted slouching as the comfortable position when I'm on my computer, which is a very bad habit I know but I find that every time I try to straighten up my back, I end up having backaches and neck pain, sometimes even hand strains.

10. atlman

atlmanNew Member

Threads:
    I probably hold the world record for the worst posture at a computer in human history. I literally slouch over like a monkey and have no posture whatsoever. I'm wondering if at this point there is no help for me, because when I try to straighten up, it's the most awkward an uncomfortable position that I can think of. I eventually thought will have to change this as I don't want medical complications in the future.

11. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I sit up straight when I am at my computer. For both my full time job and my work from home jobs I am literally in front of the computer for 12+ hours per day. I know I used to slouch but then I noticed I was slouching all the time and looked sloppy. I have to make a concerted effort to sit up straight but I find that when I do I have less frequent headaches.

12. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have started to stand up at the kitchen counter to relief the pain in my back when I sat at the desk. By standing up I found out I was more focused on my work, I was able to work longer to get the job done. I did have a little swelling in my knees but I walked that off. I am considering working at the counter more often or at least until I get a better working station.

13. PhilA

PhilAMember

Threads:
    My posture is way too bad when I am at the computer. I did buy a back support to try and correct it, but I still slouched out and got rid of it. The only way I can correct my posture is to do it myself, but im too lazy ..

14. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    My posture isn't good. It never seems like I can sit comfortably unless I'm on a couch or something. I sit back at my computer chair and curve my back along with the chair but this is probably wrong. When lie down flat in bed after using my computer all day, my back usually aches. Funny how something as simple as sitting can be so complicated.

15. CraftsAndLooms

CraftsAndLoomsMember

Threads:
    I had the same problem earlier. Now I make sure to correct it myself. Whenever my back stoops while working I sit straight again. I keep doing this everytime my back stoops. I have noticed that now my sitting posture has improved a lot.

16. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    Not good at all...
    I have a really good chair for computer work, but the table where I have my computer is horrible.
    I have to be too far from the computer for it to be confortable...

Do any of you work standing up?
    There's a very famous movie editor who does all his work standing up. He's the guy who edited Fast and Furious if I'm not mistaken....
    I have seen some other people go for this... Have you tried this?

17. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    It's getting better, I used to have one of those office chairs with wheels and I just couldn't avoid slouching after a while. It broke on me a couple of months ago though, so now I use a plastic chair and it has really improved my posture. It's a little bit flimsy, so if I slouch on it it bends in a weird way and I'm afraid of it breaking and falling on my butt. So I make more conscious effort to have a good posture in order to avoid some guaranteed pain.

18. wvboarder

wvboarderMember

Threads:
    Pretty good. I'm a huge sloucher but I sit pretty straight up in my office chair. Now that I've gotten used to it I can only slouch for a few minutes at a time. It's pretty crazy how well my back has actually adjusted to it. For the longest time I did nothing but slouch and I would feel terrible all day and night no matter what. I feel like I'm doing ok now!