How Long Do You Wait?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Denis Hard • Jan 9, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Those who watch movies when they are released tend to spend more money than those who wait a little longer. Patience for that reason can help you save a lot of cash in the long run. For example if you were to wait for the DVD then wait for people to start selling the DVDs they've watched how much money would you have saved buying a used DVD for $5 or sometimes less?

Question: how long would you wait before watching a movie in order to save some money?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm very patient and often the DVD is out and I still don't have time to watch it! most come out now within 6 months as companies want to boost profits while the films advertising is still in people's minds and to get them to pre-order. They like it so they know they have guaranteed revenue for fans of the film and also people who have waited for it to come out on DVD. In the UK they plan releases around school holidays for that reason to boost sales.

3. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I'm probably one of the least patient people when it comes to watching movies. I know that I should wait but if everyone's talking about it, I'm probably going out of my way to watch it. I'm almost their target market in many ways - not discerning enough on my timing - which isn't my usual behavior with other money saving areas.

4. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    I used to buy DVDs as soon as movies I liked were released, but after years of that habit I realized I only ended up with a full shelf of DVD cases that collected dust holding movies I barely watched. Nowadays, I tend to just wait for a movie to come out on Redbox and rent it for the day rather than buy it and never watch it more than once. If there is a movie that my kids absolutely must have or one that I really, really love, I'll download the digital version instead.

5. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    For me it really depends on the movie. Some movies are must-sees for me as soon as they come out- like the Hunger Games :) However, for most movies I wait until they are on DVD and then order them from Netflix, which I think is a great deal, especially because, really, I'm not going to want to watch most movies more than once anyway, so it seems senseless to buy them.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never get excited to watch any movie that's newly released anyway, and the most that I feel is interest, especially if it's a sequel to a movie that I have previously watched, like Saw or Insidious. So I can wait for ages. And I tend to download movies and not buy them anymore nowadays too, so that's the best way to save money, lol.

7. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually wait for not less than 2 months. Some people think it's such a long wait, but even I'm surprised at how several recently released movies will be aired through HBO, Star Movies or Cinemax or be available in DVD or Blu Ray after only two months or more. Of course, you can always head over to torrent or streaming sites and not spend a cent.

8. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't see it as trying to save money. I haven't been to a cinema in over 20 years and that is because I don't agree with how much they charge you for entry and food & drink, plus you get a lot of loud and rude people in there who talk over the film and eat their food too noisily. I don't rush out to buy the DVD when it is released, I'll wait until I see it in a cash Converters or CEX for £1-£4. :)

9. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I know that a movie is awesome and I have the time, I watch it after the first week of release here in my place. I wait after a week because during the first week of a big movie, there are a lot of viewers going to the cinemas which makes it hard to get seats. After the first week, it's all good. The prices don't go down but at least I could get the seat I want. For other movies? I just torrent them. Lol.

10. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I wait as long as the movies come out in the Internet. I think it is better to wait for the movies from the Internet then you would not have to wait till the did comes out. I think it can be really worth the wait to get a good quality movie from Internet.

11. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can't remember the last time I got excited about a movie. I'm kind of cynical and see a formula that repeats in a lot of movies so I can pretty much wait years until a movie is on TV. I'm very picky about the DVDs I buy and mostly stick to anime and Asian films.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I used to watch in theaters every weekend but after paying for some terrible movies I was disheartened and now I just watch if I'm absolutely sure that I will like the movie or at least I can be partially sure as to eliminate the risk. Otherwise I'd just wait for it to be out for digital download or streaming because these days the wait isn't too long anyway.

13. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I wait till I can download a free copy online or when I can ask a free copy from my friends. This helps me watch movies without spending even a single dime. Watching movies in theaters here in the Philippines usually cost around $5. Maybe more if you choose to watch movies in iMax or 3D. I don't care about those stuff and I like it better when I watch movies at home, straight from my flat screen. I believe that home seats are the best seats in the house. :)

14. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't purchased a DVD or Blu Ray in years, so I've been saving plenty of money in that regard. I'll either watch the movie in theaters once and then watch it later on through the television, or sometimes I'll download a few movies for far cheaper than the cost of a DVD. It just depends on what the movie is, and I do feel like some movies are worth purchasing in one format or another.

15. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    If I opinion it's a worthwhile movie, I will go to see it at a cinema or drive-in theater, depending on the season e.g. Guardians of the Galaxy, The Hobbit, Dracula Untold, etc. If it's a movie I think is okay or I have not seen a trailer or good reviews, then I will wait for it to be free online or out as a Blu Ray disc. Most movie I do buy are usually the ones I cannot find on the internet or they're classic films.

16. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It's a really great opportunity to watch a film that you really like, so even that you're going to spend quite a lot, it would still be worth it. Because if you really like something, well at least for me, if I really like something, I'd be willing to spend even that there'd be an opportunity for me to save a fraction.

17. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I think it is best to watch it online and I wait as long as the required. I believe it is great to try and learn the cheapest way to earn quite a lot.

18. teabwoi

teabwoiActive Member

Threads:
    Normally I think that I could wait even for a movie that I really want to see. Patience is something that I have learned over the years and I think it is something that has served me well. I really do not think that I have that much of a big problem when I am waiting in line to watch a movie.

19. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always wait until it is released on DVD, then take out a free 30 day trial to a DVD rental service and hire it out! As long as you remember to cancel your subscriptions on time, this can be a great way to see the latest films for free.

20. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    It really depends on the movie. I'll wait until a show comes out on Netflix or Amazon Prime for 99% of the movies, but I did go see American Sniper recently because I didn't want to miss it on the big screen. I try to wait until I've acquired some rebates on shipping at Amazon before I order another installment of The Walking Dead, but sometimes I just can't wait and I order it anyway!