How Long Do Your Light Bulbs Last?

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by Diane Lane • Mar 16, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I mainly still use incandescent light bulbs, since I stocked up when the changeover to the compact fluorescent bulbs was taking place, and I got a great deal on the prices of the various bulbs. I do have a few of the twisty compact fluorescent bulbs, but they're quite expensive, and I believe there is a new style that has taken their place.

I think there's an issue with the wiring in this house, and my traditional bulbs seem to only last a few months at most, particularly in some of the fixtures. What's an average time that your bulbs last? If you use CFL bulbs, how long do those last for you?

2. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    During last year's flea market I purchased various types of the CLF light bulbs (spiral) for $5 a box. I also found outdoor flood lights which were $1 each and the ones that look like a regular light bulb but has the spiral on the inside. The retail price would have been between $12 - $14 dollars for the spiral, $4 -$7 for the flood lights depending on the wattage. I was a happy camper.

They have lasted much longer than the traditional light bulbs. I prefer traditional light bulbs for my basement so when I see those at the flea market I grab them up as well.

I have found that I use more of the CLF bulbs to increase the degree of lighting throughout the house which kind of defeats their purpose of saving energy I think. I have more lamps now than when we first bought the house.o_O

3. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I have the CFL bulbs in all the lamps in my house and I really could not tell you how long they last. I do not remember when I put them in the lamps, but it has been a long time. I have heard that they are doing away with this type of bulb and have something different coming out. CFL bulbs are expensive and I bought mine when they were on sale. The only thing I do not like about them is that they do not cast as much light as a regular bulb.

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have the CFL bulbs through out the house I have not idea when they were put in the lamps so I don't know how long they last. I thought it was me, now that everyone has pointed out that the CFL bulbs do not give as much light I feel better.

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We switched to using LED bulbs since last year and so far so good. According to the hardware staff who facilitated our purchase, those bulbs were built to last 5 years to a decade, depending on how frequently we use them. As far as I can recall, our fluorescent bulbs lasted a year and a half - sometimes shorter. For those of you who are still using that type of bulb, I say better switch to LED now. It will save you more money and it lasts longer.

6. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    Well, that depends. Lightning somehow struck a tree in our front yard, and then it hit the lamp post outside my room. The next thing you know, we lost 5 lights in a row. A couple of them LEDs. But, other than that, LEDs are supposed to last a decade or more. How the manufacturers will survive for that long is a different question.

7. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We had changed our bulbs first from the yellow incandescent to the new CFL and later we also discarded the long white flourescent bulbs that come with starters. The CFL is very simple to install and economical too. Now, the LED bulbs have emerged and advocates are promoting those bulbs to be more economical than the CFL in terms of electric consumption. However, the CFL costs about 200 pesos (the branded) while the LED bulb of the same caliber costs more than 1,000 pesos. It is such a big investment so we are still with our CFL bulbs.

8. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    We no longer use incandescent bulbs as they use up more energy than CFL bulbs so we only use the latter nowadays. Besides being more economical when it comes to energy usage, the lighting they provide is even way brighter than the incandescent bulbs. They're really more expensive though, but they do last long. I just couldn't remember how long but I'm estimating them to last at least for more than a year or two, depending on how you use them.

LED bulbs are also becoming the "in" thing here nowadays but I haven't invested in them yet because they're far too expensive compared to the CFL bulbs. They are very economical in energy usage though so using them would save you a lot of money in your electricity bill.

9. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Fortunately - having used LED light bulbs since they were first introduced in the late 1990s - I haven't had to replace any light bulbs in years.

In fact since switching to “ Super Bright “ LED bulbs - which I did as they give off better quality light than any other LEDs I've used - for all my indoor and outdoor lighting well over 12 years ago - although initially a little more expensive than other bulbs - making the switch has been more than extremely worthwhile.

Particularly as - apart from the considerable savings made on the amount of electricity used - as they are way more economical to run than any other type of light bulb - but as they have an incredibly long life - the savings have been more than I could have ever imagined - especially as - although I perhaps shouldn't say this - as it might mean that one will probably go tonight - but I haven't as yet had to replace any of my bulbs - even though they are regularly used for long periods of time - since I first put them in - 12 years ago.

10. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    Regardless of what bulbs I use in my house they seem to blow out within 6 months to 1 year. I'm not entirely sure what causes it but for that reason I tend to just buy the cheapest ones I can get my hands on that have appropriate fittings. I managed to get a load in bulk that were only £0.10 each a while back so at least they didn't cost a lot if they blow out in a few months. It's sure frustrating having to change them all the time though!

11. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I have a mix of CFL and Led bulbs, however, I have never really checked to see how long the bulbs have lasted. The CFL bulbs have been in place for quite a while but the LED bulbs have been recently installed. I believe that the CFL bulbs have lasted longer than the incandescent bulbs that I had previously used. I will eventually change to full led population. I will probably now keep tabs on the bulbs to if thay really long as long as the manufactures specify.

12. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We moved into our apt. just a year ago last June, so the bulbs lasted more than a year for they were in the apt. when we moved in. The CFL lightbulbs look different and twisty, but they fit my old fashioned light fixtures and the electrician says 60 watts is enough for home use. I like the CFL lighbulbs for they are bright, helps the environment and last longest too.

13. Diane Lane

Threads:
    I've noticed that the CFL bulbs seem to work well in some settings, but not as well in others. For some reason, nothing brightens up my laundry room, but it's a tiny room, more of a closet, and the way it's situated, it gets no natural light. I have a CFL bulb in there now, but it seems even darker than when I had an incandescent bulb in there.

I am on a very tight budget, so haven't purchased any LED lights yet, but that's probably the direction I'll go in when I'm able. I'm a true believer, after having driven around the area to view the Christmas lights and seeing how bright the LED bulbs were, in contrast to the homes lit by the traditional Christmas outdoor bulbs.

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I have not been keeping track but from what I have noticed generally our bulbs last a long time somehow. I don't think we change bulbs anytime below six months to be honest. If I'm wrong they at least last four months minimum. It might have to do something with buying a good brand although I am not in charge of buying bulbs here so I don't know what brand would be considered good. I have heard LED light bulbs are also a better option and I've been thinking of switching to them.

15. DiscountDreams

DiscountDreamsActive Member

Threads:
    Considering that I bought highly efficient bulbs for myself as soon as I was an adult and I'm only 25, they last forever as far as I can tell. If this changes, I will update you, but I'm gonna have to go with "forever" on this one.

16. Diane Lane

Threads:
    I created this thread just after I changed the light bulb out front. Friday night, it died again. Obviously there's an issue with the electrical here, but I'll just have to suck it up and keep replacing the bulbs. I replaced that one, but my stash is gone, so I'll have to purchase some more when I go to Kroger on Monday. Hopefully the bulbs at Kroger will be better quality than the ones I had in my stash from the switch over, and will last at least a little longer.

17. Jeff Y

Jeff YNew Member

Threads:
    My incandescent light bulbs usually last 5 years. I use them around 6 hours a day, 7 days a week, so about 11,000 hours.

18. doxie

doxieNew Member

Threads:
    I use the cheapest, regular light bulbs I can find. They last so long that I cannot really remember how often I change them. Maybe once a year.

19. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Th length of time bulbs last depends on usage. Some bulbs blow up in hours or days after being purchased depending on the reliability of the electric circuits. In most cases, bulbs last for about 6 months of moderate before being damaged however, some can last for a year. Twisted tubular bulbs have have higher energy efficiency and therefore last for a longer period of time.

20. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    When I was using filament light bulbs, the ones that I used most (for instance that was at the porch) lasted couple of months.Since filament light bulb consumed more electricity and lasted less, I replaced my filament bulbs with fluorescent tubes. Then CFL lights were tlk of the town, it was said it saved electricity at least 80 percent and the bulb also lased longer, Some of my CFL lights are at least 5 years old.