How Long Does Expired Food Last In The Fridge?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Theo • Mar 9, 2016.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Mt friend is doing some volunteer work in exchange for food and board. However, her host is giving her expired food to eat saying it's safe. The mushrooms were 2 weeks old, and some frozen food has gone rotten. I have told her to throw things out and say something, but surely 2 weeks is pushing it? I said the vitamin and nutritional value would be practically nil after that long.

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    OMG Theo, that's horrible! How mean is the host! I mean, her heart is probably in the right place, but I've never known mushrooms to last even a whole week from the date of purchase. I bought some at the weekend, went to use them only today and they were all slimy and stank! To look at, they were fine, but I had to throw them away. I think your friend should always do the touch and smell test, if it feels and smells funny, it's not safe to eat! Also if the colour's different.

3. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I would do the smell test! If your body is saying no then it is totally not safe to eat. I agree that expired food is okay to eat, but if there is mold or weird smells then it is time to cut your losses and buy some new produce. Maybe your friend can work online and make a few bucks to buy some food that is safe to eat?