How Long Does Your iPod Last?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by FlanneryCam • Sep 22, 2012.

1. FlanneryCam

FlanneryCamActive Member

Threads:
    I've noticed, like with many other electronic and consumer goods, there is an expiry date on iPods.

How long has yours lasted? I'm onto my 3rd iPod of my life, having gotten one of the 1st generation Nanos a good long while ago.

I don't upgrade merely because new technology exists. I'm the kind of shopper who only upgrrades when my product dies and needs to be replaced.

I know the big problem with iPods is battery life. I remember doing iPod surgery with a friends on her first generation iPod a long time ago. Is battery replacement still an option?

2. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    There is something called "programmed obsolescence" and Apple certainly is an expert in that field. I bought an iPod 2 years ago, and I have it still. Maybe I'm too careful with these things, but the real reason is that in my country are much more expensive than in the U.S. (in fact, these products quadrupled its value in my city).

I haven't noticed any problems in performance, but I am aware that there isn't much useful lifetime. The fate of these little gadgets are typed from production. It´s unfortunate that to work that way, but that the market works, the beloved son of capitalism. Sorry if my comment became a manifesto against consumerism, that wasn't the initial idea. :p

3. cheesecake

cheesecakeMember

Threads:
    Do ipods actually have expiration dates? If I looked at my ipod would I be able to see that? Sorry for being a n00b but I'm not sure if that's figuratively or literally :p.

I am on my second. My first ipod was a 2nd generation ipod touch. It still works, but the firmware is outdated so there are a lot of good apps I cannot get anymore. Also the volume and on/off buttons don't work anymore. I was using it by the pool and my hands got a little bit wet. I used it and these buttons stopped working. I can still turn it on with the home button so it is still very useable. This happened after about 6 months after use. I think I had the ipod for about 2 years before I got my second one.

Now I have a 4th generation ipod touch and it is lasting well so far. My first one cracked when I dropped it on my bathroom floor. The apple store guy was kind enough to replace it for me even though it was not technically included in the "warranty." I got a replacement and a heavy duty case and I haven't had any problems since. I've dropped it so many times but no damage has been found on it. I've had it for almost a year now.

4. Svoboda

SvobodaNew Member

Threads:
    Depends on how well you take care of it and if you got a good unit. I've still got a working iPod Classic that my 9 year old uses. It's almost 8 years old now and still works fine. I also had a 4th generation that crapped out on me, then the replacement did the same thing. Totally the luck of the draw, but the better you take care of them, the longer they will last for sure.

5. Mikered25

Mikered25Member

Threads:
    Typically my Ipod last for about 6mos to year all depending on how I use it. I have a lot of apps on my Ipod that allow me to get my work done, like for example my finance app that allows me to figure out how much money I have. My education app, that helps me with papers and projects that I have to write and construct during school. My banking application, this is the most simplest app ever it just tells me how much money is in my bank account. My Ipod that I have now, I have had now going on a year and it has served me well.

6. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    A couple years I would say. Its actually hard to remember how long exactly, but I know I had an Ipod Nano that lasted for about 3 years, cause I had the same one throughout college. My current Ipod I've had for at least 2 years now. And I use it very often. I really hope it lasts, because my ipod is one of the few items I can't live without.

7. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    Well, I don't own an iPod, but I do have an MP3 player. The device has lasted quite a while. A friend of mine has an iPod and it supposedly has lasted him a long time. Of course, though, he doesn't use it because he has all these other electronics that are a waste, such as the iPhone, tablet and others.

8. nick87

nick87Active Member

Threads:
    I've had my itouch 2g for the past few years. A lot of apps don't work on it because it requires an IOS that requires updated hardware, but those aren't usually the greatest apps anyways that's even worth upgrading for. Only thing worth upgrading for would be the camera, but I don't have that money lying around to get a newer one.

9. jooomes

jooomesNew Member

Threads:
    I have owned two different iPods, the first being a 60gb classic and the second being a 4th generation 32gb iPod touch. The classic has lasted me for 6 years and I haven't had any problems with it, only scuffs from use. The iPod touch is a lot more fragile, but it has lasted me since release with only a small break on the glass. Overall, the older iPods have a higher durability based on materials used and Apple's need to create a new market for screen repairs.

10. nick87

nick87Active Member

Threads:
    You know what really sucks? About a week after I made my post, I dropped my ipod. Now the sound isn't working properly. So, I guess it's lasted that long.

11. retnam

retnamMember

Threads:
    I've had mine for about 7 years maybe. I dropped it in the bath tub earlier this year...grrr. And now it doesn't hold a charge. I use it on a dock only now and I was able to keep my 10s of thousands of songs.

12. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I had one Ipod Nano before that lasted for me for 3 years. I then gave it to my younger brother and I bought 3rd gen Ipod Touch that has already been with me for three years. It is still working fine and the battery still last as if it is new.

13. Cyclone3616

Cyclone3616Member

Threads:
    Anyone remember the very first ipod? It was the ipod mini. There's one like it coming out, except the old one that I have is five times thicker. The battery is a little shorter because it is so old, but it still works great for it's age. I'm pretty sure I got it about a decade ago. It may be really bulky, but the first ipod mini lasts longer than the first ipod nano because it's pretty tough, and the ipod nano I had from a couple of years ago just broke.

14. tehtros

tehtrosNew Member

Threads:
    I started with an iPod Touch 2G, and honestly, it still works perfectly... My only reason for buying the new 4th generation, was because Apple decided they would stop allowing 2G users to upgrade their firmware... Eventually, all the good apps upgraded past 4.2.1, leaving 2G users in the dust. Physically, it looks (almost) perfect, and everything works the way it should. It just, Apple said that if you're not using the newest iPod, your not cool enough for these apps. Needless to say, I think they lost a few customers that day.

15. Dogged1

Dogged1New Member

Threads:
    My iPod is probably 8 years old now and has been around the world at least twice and has been up and down California more than all the ex-governors all together. It’s a 60G classic and still works like it’s brand spankin’ new. One of the coolest things about it is the ability to use it as a storage device. This thing is still incredible, but I have to say though; I sure have been through a ton of headsets. Now if someone could just put some of that great iPod technology into headsets!

16. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    I'm on my third iPod Nano. The first two lasted a couple years, and my current one is going on about 4 years I would say. I think I must not be taking care of it very well, since many of you have managed to make them last much longer! I do actively use my iPod though, a few times a day. I don't know if that impacts how long it lasts.

17. Deadly Dollar

Deadly DollarNew Member

Threads:
    I have just had yet another iPod Nano die on me. It was about 8 months old! I have once again had to go back to using the first Nano I ever owned, which is at least a decade old, if not more. There is an irony here. It's happily playing away right now, unaware it is supposedly obsolete. I have had several of every generation since, more of each successive one, and they've become progressively more fragile. It seems the newer and fancier Apple products get, the faster they die. They used to be made to last. Now they're just like everything else - a flash in the pan - just lots more pricey. My partner was thinking of trading in his much-loved and much-used 2011 MacBook Air for a 2016 but wonders if this trend would be present there too! I suspect it might be.

18. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have only had one iPod, and it is an iPod Shuffle. I bought it about 4-5 years ago from someone who had listed it for sale on craigslist; so I have no idea how old it was when i bought it.
    It still works just as good as ever, so I have never needed to get a different one, although I have thought about getting one of the more sophisticated iPods instead.
    My iPad is a Generation 4, and came out just before the first iPad Airs were released. I also have an iPhone 5, which I have had since they first came out, too.
    I have never had any problems with any of them, and totally LOVE Apple products ! !

19. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    I have a 3rd generation iPod and it has lasted me around five years so far, however, I personally think that the biggest and most annoying problem about it is the charger just as any Apple product. I've had to buy more than five chargers until now. Apple really should work harder on the development of their charger materials, for real.

20. 17emilyhalko

17emilyhalkoMember

Threads:
    I've had two different nanos. The one was one of the older generations, and was slim, had a screen, but wasn't a touch screen. I got this iPod when I was quite young. I think that I was in fourth grade when I got it. This iPod lasted me until the end of eighth grade. A few months later, I got my hands on a new iPod nano, which is when the ones with the touchscreens were brand new, and this iPod lasted me, no exaggeration, three days before the screen completely shattered in a purse. There were no covers available for the iPod at the time, so I had no way of protecting it. The iPod lasted me a year, before I lost it, but I did notice that it was wearing down significantly faster than my older iPod. I think that the older generations are definitely sturdier.