How Many Gifts?

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by Sunflogun • May 7, 2015.

1. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    Those with kids know that birthday parties are happening all the time and we need to take a gift to the birthday boy or girl. At the same time, when the brother/sister is invited too, should we take two gifts or just one? What do you usually do?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Go for numbers, I'd suggest. Kids don't care about the cost of gifts, just as long as they get gifts. And the more of them they get the happier they'll be. But that doesn't mean you'd need to spend more. How much would you have spent on one gift? Let's assume it's $20. Now instead of getting the $20 gift, get two $10 gifts.

3. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    Yep, give two $10 gifts can be a good idea and sometimes the kids love the cheaper gifts because it has something there that they love it. The hard part is to discover what it is, but we can ask advice to our own kids, that usually works well.

4. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I would definitely send a gift with each child. Each child will want to have a gift to give, first of all, and secondly, people generally expect one from each attendee. I just wouldn't ever send one of my kids empty handed.

The gifts don't have to expensive as noted. Just find something fun. Little kids are so easy to please. They are just as happy with a bottle of bubbles as they are with something that cost more.

You might even go that route. Grab a few simple items and create a fun bag from each of your kids.

5. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    The main issue about that is to find cheap gifts that the kids might enjoy, these days it's actually hard to find something decent for $10, but I do agree it's better to offer two gifts instead of one. Ultimately I just buy one if I don't find what I like, better than offering things I know they will not use.

6. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    You could also try for a paired gift idea, one slightly more expensive but the total equal to what you would have spent. For instance, you could get a craft kit for one package for a child who likes crafts and since those kits don't come with much stuff in them, get additional supplies for the included sibling to give.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Try browsing Toy Kingdom, I'm sure you can find cheap toys over there if the kid isn't too picky. Small stuffed toys are quite cheap too, it can be a decent gift.

8. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Would you mind giving an age range? That would help us come up with more specific ideas.

I don't usually try to find one particular item, unless it's someone I know well, and I already know what they would like. If it's someone I'm not all that familiar with, I just look for fun stuff. I make up a bag of art supplies like crayons, colored pencils, markers, drawing paper, construction paper, glue sticks, etc. You can get a bunch of stuff for ten bucks at the dollar store and make up a nice activity bag that works for both boys and girls.

Good idea, Feneth. Something like that would be great too.

9. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Every kid loves gifts, so it's hard when one gets something and another doesn't. Buying something that goes a long way, is always a hit. I usually give the birthday girl or boy something personal and special, and on top of that something that everyone else can enjoy as well, such as organic candies. It usually doesn't cost me more than $20 -35.

10. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I agree that children don't care about the value of what they receive as long as they also have something. I have two nephews, and I always make sure that the other gets something when the brother has a gift. It's a way to avoid tantrums. A simple toy car or a ball suffices for the other kid all the time.

11. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I kind of disagree with the general consensus. One great gift outlives a hundred cruddy ones. So, if you're just looking to impress them for a second or two the amount of gifts is the way to go.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Personally, I like just setting the budget then deciding from there. If the budget means I could buy something nice and grand then I'd consider just making the gift a present from the two kids combined since I'd much rather give them something really good rather than two mediocre presents. That's just me though, because I know it's how I prefer receiving gifts.

13. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In the case of a family member or close friend, I tend to agree. For random birthday party # 137 of the year, not so much, lol. I don't usually buy grand gifts for everyone or every party. With four kids I'd have gone broke doing that. Besides, simple things can be fun without being cruddy gifts.