How many shoes is too many?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Strykstar • May 27, 2014.

1. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    How many pair of shoes do you own? This is a question for both men and women, although I predict that women will probably own more pairs :)
    I own about 5 or 6 and my wife keeps telling me that it's too many, even though she has more than that, talk about a double standard :)

2. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    5 or 6? I think that that is quite a low number compared to mine honestly lol. I have at least 30 pairs of shoes. I want to get rid of so many, but then I end up wearing them again when I go out. They're all in pretty good condition as well. My mom owns way more than I do, yet my brother and father owns a lot less than we do. I think that women generally have a bigger collection of shoes ^.^'

3. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    You have too much shoes when you are not able to use them frequently or regularly, when you are forgetting that you still have other shoes to wear, when some of your shoes are just stashed in the rack. You have too much shoes when some of them only appear to be displays and they no longer serve their function. But no matter how many number of shoes that you have, if you are able to use them and give them attention, then it's not too many. It's just right for your lifestyle and time.

4. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Only 2 and that is not enough. I would say you can never have too many, so long as you have somewhere to store them all. It's always good to have a back up. I currently have my best shoes, which cost £95 and my everyday shoes which sot £40. These shoes are starting to wear down significantly so I will probably buy a couple of new pairs soon.

5. Abqu

AbquNew Member

Threads:
    I have three pairs of shoes I wear regularly, but I probably own 12-15. I'm a packrat when it comes to shoes though; I can't allow myself to throw away the ones that I no longer wear.

6. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never counted them since I don't pay much attention to shoes just like with clothes but if I had to guess, I would say maybe 10 and that includes my slippers. I would definitely say though it'd be no more than 20. I have way more jewelry than shoes so I will never understand women's obsession with shoes and obviously I am one.

7. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I guess it depends on the person. I think I have around 30 shoes, maybe 40 if I count the ones I don't use anymore, and that is definitely not too many for me. I know people that have over 200 shoes, and they're obsessed. I don't consider myself obsessed with shoes by no means, I just use them because I have to. Sure, if I see cute booties or a nice pair of flats I wanna buy them just because the look nice, but i would rather spend my money on other things. I think too many shoes is when you don't even remember the shoes you have and when you have a bunch of shoes still on the box unused and are buying more..

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends whether you are a celebrity, because they are required to have many shoes because of their job, so in their case, they must have hundreds or even thousands of shoes. But I think if you are just a simple person then about 10 to 20 would be the maximum average number of shoes, sandals included.

9. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I only have a handful, too. My boyfriend actually has more shoes than I do.

I did just buy a couple new pairs, though, because I'm hoping to land a new job and knew I would need more professional shoe options. I still have less than 10 pairs of shoes at my highest, though.

10. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To the common woman (let us exclude Jessi :)) there are never too many shoes, they are addicted to shoes and purses. For a guy, I say three or four are quite enough, but to be honest I've lost count of how many shoes my wife has. She buys them cheap though, so that is my luck, when she buys a new pair usually some other is getting old and leaves the house. :)

11. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Wow that is way too many, that means you have 9-12 pair that you don't wear and are just taking up space in your closet.
    I think I would throw out any pair that I haven't worn for a year or so, because if I didn't in that time then I probably won't ever again.

12. Jessi

Threads:
    With most things, I tend to agree. With shoes, though, there ARE shoes that are worth holding onto for specific (albeit, rare) occasions. For example.... just because I haven't worn my black flat dress shoes in the last year, doesn't mean I won't need them next week for a funeral. I wouldn't wear them for most occasions, but I keep a pair of basic ones on hand for rare occasions like that.

The same applies for my old work sneakers. I don't NORMALLY wear them, but there are those occasions like gardening or working outside that pop up from time to time where I want to have an old pair on hand that could be destroyed and tossed if necessary.

That being said, if it's simply a pack-rat thing and you're unlikely to ever wear those others shoes again, then yes, toss them!

13. Jessi

Threads:
    Lmao!!

Yes, I'm usually quite the exception....to many rules. :p

As for purses, I own two. ;) One is on the larger side for carrying to outings where I need to tuck a lot in (like I traveled this last week and needed extra things like my camera, glasses case, a bottle of water, etc). The other one is much smaller and would be for a night out where I'm not wearing jeans (and therefore, can't tuck my cash and phone in my back pocket, ha!).

14. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's interesting. I have two as well. One is more baglike than purselike, it's mostly for all my electronic devices. It's not ugly but it's certainly not "cute" as I don't care as long as it can fit my things. The other I rarely use but I have it just in case I only have a few things I need and don't feel like carrying the bigger one.

15. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I just counted, I have 83 pairs of shoes. That is a ridiculous number and definitely too many because not only is it a waste of money, but I forget about most of them and the shoes sit on the shoe racks and are never worn because I just wear the pairs in the front of my closet because I am too lazy to walk into the closet to see what I actually own. Generally I would say you can never have too many shoes, but I have proved that wrong. Side note: I just counted and my boyfriend has about 40 pairs of shoes, but he actually wears all of them.

16. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    Some people here just posted that they have more than 30 pairs. That is just a lot. I have seven pair that keep me in check for the whole week before I can start the cycle again. I have managed to keep them looking good. But 30 pairs you might end up not wearing all of them in many months as there will be those that you just love to wear repeatedly.

17. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Where I live it's common for people to have no more than five pairs of shoes because you spend most of the time outdoors in boots during the day. When you come back from attending to your business and have to pop into town to get something or just hang out with the guys, you only need two or three pairs which won't get worn out anyway since they're hardly ever used.

So for me, I'd say 5 pairs is an OK number.

18. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Wow! That's like 123 pairs or 246 shoes :eek: How much space do they occupy?

Me, I have around 10 pairs, two for each season. To make shoes last longer you have to wear them one day, then let them rest for another. Or so I've been told by a dude that worked in the leather industry. More than two pairs per season would also mean too much money invested in just one thing, a no no for me.

19. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I would say I have 7 pairs which I use really often. The others are just getting old in the stockroom. I think as long as you have the basic pieces such as pumps, mules, rubber shoes, sneakers, flipflops, slipons, sandals, and basic flats, you won't need much after that. Anything more than those simple pieces would be too much as you won't have enough time to wear all of them.

Also, one thing I realize is that shoes tend to break easily, especially if you don't get to use them that often. I've had shoes in the past which I just used once a month and it just breaks on the 3rd month because it gets old in the closet.

20. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just did some spring cleaning so I threw out many old pairs of shoes. I think I have about 7 or 8 pairs. Honestly, I could really use a few more pair of shoes. There is such a thing as too many shoes, but that number depends on the individual's lifestyle.