How many side dishes do you serve with your meal?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Sweetkymom • Sep 11, 2014.

1. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I'm finding it different for different people when it comes to serving supper. I though supper consisted of a meat, 2 sides and maybe a dessert. I'm finding out by other friends and family that they make up to 4 different sides plus the meat.

How many sides do you make to go with thd meat?

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My dinner consist of a meat and two sides sometimes we will have a dessert but not often during the week. When the dinner is spighetti we have a salad and bread along with the main meal. Do you have soup and salad for dinner often just add some bread.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I usually just serve one or two side dishes along with the meat or main dish, not counting in the rice. I like having some form of potato or noodle or soup dish alongside my meals as much as possible but sometimes if I'm too lazy or don't have too much stock in my fridge and pantry then I just go without. If I'm really craving for a full meal and don't have much at home then I'd just eat out or get takeout.

4. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    This depends on if you are including the carbohydrate element to your meal. If I was serving meat and two veg, I would also serve some form of potatoes. However, if I served a curry, I would probably only serve rice. A chilli con carne I might do rice, soured cream and potato wedges. If I do a roast dinner, then I will do the meat, gravy, potatoes and at least three veg. On a normal day I do not serve desert. This would only be if guests came around or for a special occasion.

5. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I find that I usually have 2 or 3 side dishes with my meals, unless it's a sandwich or pasta. Where I live we are used to eating rice and beans along with some sort of meat, chicken or fish. So that's already 2 side dishes. Usually we combo that with a salad or steamed veggies, which makes it 3 side dishes!

6. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    I generally keep it to one or two things besides the entree. My boyfriend and I can't finish that much food anyway, so it would be a waste if I did too much. If we had people over I'd do a TON but if it's just us two I don't usually do that much. And the sides are usually some sort of veggie or fruit to go with whatever we're having for the main meal :)

7. JoshPosh

JoshPoshBanned

Threads:
    I usually cook 1 side of sauteed onions and garlic. That's about it really.

8. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    It all depends on what we're having but I'd say in general we usually make 1-2 sides along with our protein. I feel like that's more than enough for most meals. It also depends on how heavy the overall meal is, though.

9. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I eat 95% vegetarian, so I can't rightly say what exactly would consist as a side dish in my meals. :) I eat a lot of vegetables, legumes, grains, beans and nuts. I often make salads, mixing quinoa or lentils with sautéed or baked vegetables. Occasionally, I will eat some sea food with a salad, a handful of vegetables and perhaps an interesting sauce.

10. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    It depends who I'm cooking for. If it's just me I'm happy with a simple vegetable side. But if I'm cooking for others I'll try to have a couple of veggies and a starch of some sort of them to choose from. I don't want anyone to go hungry because they don't like a particular side dish. I also like making desserts for company too. It's a nice way to end a meal.

11. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Some times just one side dish, but in most cases two - and very rarely more than two. If I am cooking for myself, I do two side dishes. But if I am entertaining and cooking for a group of people, then I may do 4 or 5 side dishes so everyone has more options. That's not to say they have to eat all of them, but more than likely they will pick a couple they like the best. I almost always have picky eaters in the group or someone with dietary restrictions - that person who hates mushrooms and won't want the wild rice with mushrooms side dish I made, or the person who is allergic to shellfish and can't eat the grilled shrimp skewers, etc...

If the side dish itself is more complex, such as a noodle casserole with assorted veggies, then that alone is just fine as a single side. But if I am making simple sides, like some steamed green beans, then I will want two, and perhaps pair it with a baked potato.