How much are you willing to pay for concert tickets?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by True2marie • Aug 16, 2014.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Beyonce and Jay Z came to my city recently. Tickets were well over $100. Because I am not a big fan of either, I did not go to the concert. Yet, in the past, I have splurged to see a singer that I did follow. There's something about seeing an artist live that's energizing. To date, the most I have paid for concert tickets is $50.

How much are you willing to pay for concert tickets?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't pay a buck.

I'm not a big fan of live performances because most artists don't sing that well when they perform live. Kelly Clarkson disappointed me and since then concerts are not my thing. I'd rather listen to studio produced music than listen to a singer try to match that excellence and fail to. Most people will disagree with me so since there are some live versions of songs which are much better than the studio versions. But those . . . are very few.

3. Kek

KekActive Member

Threads:
    If a music group I really really liked had a concert in my country, I would be comfortable to pay up to 30€ max. I don't have much money right now, so I would probably pass on the concert even if it was 30€. At the moment, the most I would be willing to pay is 10€, sadly. I simply can't spend much because I'm saving up for my backpacking trip.

I don't understand people that pay up to 100€ for a few hours of fun. If you are willing to spend that much, why not go to a festival? It lasts longer and it's more diverse.

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It really depends who it is. A couple of years ago I went to see Leonard Cohen, and I didn't mind paying $120 at all. The concert was absolutely fantastic and one of the most memorable moments in my life.
    I have always enjoyed going to concerts, but I am not always willing to pay big bucks to get in. At times, I just arrived at the doors, where people were trying to sell last minute tickets. The trick is to buy a ticket 10 minutes after the concert has started, because then the sellers become really desperate and are open to negotiations.

5. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't personally paid for a concert ticket since 2000 which was Jay Z's hard knock tour. I lost the desire to see live performances a long time ago. It would now have to be a big time star I'm interested in and be 50% off. I'm just way too busy these days.

6. tzbt827

tzbt827Member

Threads:
    I would not pay over $80 for tickets to any concert. A concert is very unpredictable and it could either be a great set or the artist could play bad and you would have wasted a lot of money on a bad night. There are some risks involved which are not worth spending that much money on.

7. kitchencatlover

kitchencatloverMember

Threads:
    It depends on the person. If it were one of my favorite people I'd definitely pay anything I could afford. The most I've paid before was 200 something for Paul McCartney tickets which were well worth the money. Almost everything else I've seen was around 60-80 dollars. I love music and concerts though so it's one of the things if I can afford to be extravagant with I will be.

8. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    That really depends on the artist, but if it's one of my top favorite artists I would pay as much as it costs to get in. The most I've payed was about $70 ($65 plus fees) for Evanescence but we were on the third row, and the show was amazing. I don't regret it, she sounds wonderful live. The second most expensive was Nightwish and it was about $50 each for an open amphitheater venue so considering that it was kind of expensive but I loved the concert. I really enjoy live music, it's a whole different feel to recorded music. And I live in a place where concerts from international artists aren't common and most artists come once and never come back, so I would jump at the chance to get to hear an artist or band I like live even if it's expensive.

9. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Nope. Not going to pay any for tickets. Even if I'm a huge fan of the artist that's going to perform for the life of me I can't seem to find it that interesting to pay $50 or more just to see them perform live. And besides I'm not really one for concerts and shows since I have agoraphobia.

10. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not a real fan of live performances but I would love to see one. I guess my max budget for concert tickets would be $20 - $30, anymore than that is just beyond me. And besides, I can watch in Youtube the very next day so it's not really a loss for me except for the personal experience.

11. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    The exact same price as yourself! I don't go over $60 for a concert ticket. If it's over $60, I can wait to watch the concert on DVD, HBO or see clips on YouTube. Sometimes it is hit or miss for me with concerts. Besides, there really isn't an artist right now I want to see live. I'm sort of lazy when it comes to musical concerts. I am a huge Beyoncé fan but even if her tickets were in my price range, I would likely skip the concert because whatever she does onstage there, I can see it another way online or cable television. I don't know but I never been a concert going type of girl.

12. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It just depends on the artist but I don't think I've payed more than 30 or 40 dollars. If you're going for VIP then yeah it's probably worth it to spend more but concerts should never be more than 30 dollars.

13. major

majorNew Member

Threads:
    Luckily I listen to punk rock so most of the shows I goto are cheap.

Most I typically pay is $15 at the door. :)

Anyone who pays 100s of dollars to see their fav artist is a fool and a sheep IMO

14. SevenWays

SevenWaysNew Member

Threads:
    I agree with those who say it depends on the artist. It especially depends on the rarity of the event and the type of show they provide. For instance I would gladly pay 100$ for a Daft Punk show, they tour very rarely and their shows transcend music, from what I've heard and seen they give you a unique sensory experience.

On the other hand for a singer-songwriter who just jumps on the stage with a microphone and a guitar I'm willing to pay far less, let's say 30$ at most. This also takes into account the fact that a guitar-and-voice show means much lower costs for the organizers.

At the moment I'd say prices for concerts are pretty much fair, while prices for albums have always been far too high. And I particularly like going to concerts also because I know that a higher share of the profits is destined to the actual musicians!

I must say I don't agree with you, major. Wishing to see an amazing artist doesn't equate with being a sheep. Also consider the fact that sometimes the high prices depend also on the location. I know I'd be one of those fools if I ever had the money to afford a Bob Dylan concert in the Coliseum (purely imaginary). It's not a couple of hours of entertainment in a case like that, it's a unique event, and you pay for its uniqueness.

I am lucky like you, though, since most of the artists I listen to don't have high-priced concerts. The real problem for me is that I'm at least 4 hours away from any kind of concert location, and the train rides end up costing much more than the ticket!

15. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    It would all depend who I am going to see. If I am I big fan of the artist having the concert, then I would pay the max in order to get a front row seat. I have paid at least $350 for a seat at the BET Hip Hop Awards because I wanted to make sure I had a great view. I will not pay a lot of money if it is not a concert hosted by a big time artist.

16. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I don't watch concerts very much so if i plan on watching one it's probably because i want to see my favorite bands/artists so bad and on that note, I'm definitely willing to pay the concert tickets as long as i have the money. I mean I'm willing to max out my savings or something if i want to see an artists so badly. Good thing, i don't have a lot of bands that i'm dying to see so my savings are still safe somewhere not that i have a lot (lol) but you know what i mean. I would really love to see Mumford and Sons live on stage. I'd pay big time to get to the front row seat. ;)