How much do you spend on alcohol per week?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Dora M • Apr 3, 2014.

1. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am a non-drinker. I never liked the taste or the effect alcohol has on me. When I go to bars with friends, I tend to be the only person who drinks mineral water or coffee. I am amazed how much money gets eaten up by alcohol, all in the name of having a good time or downing one's sorrows.
    I could never be persuaded to touch the stuff.
    Sometimes I see people coming out of the bottle mart with shopping trolleys filled to full capacity with alcohol, and I secretly think about all the things I could do with the money they just spent on their habit.

2. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I try to drink responsibly. I only drink when it is necessary and that would be when I have things on my mind or even when am in a party. I do not drink until I can not tell where I am. I like to be conscious when am out drinking with my friends. I rarely keep tabs on how much we spend. No one does trust me you will notice the following day that you spent awfully a lot.

3. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    I think that is ok to drink in moderation. I drink socially and I agree that it is expensive to go out and drink but is if that's what people choose to do that's up to them.

4. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Apart from some cheap bottled beer we buy on the weekends we spend no money on alcohol. Alcohol is priced very high because of its vice tax and let's not consider the health implications. From time to time we do get some wine from my old folks, but that's free and in small quantities. And god forbid you go out on drinking nights since alcohol is even more expensive in bars/clubs.

5. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    Not much. I try to drink very responsibly and not spend a lot. If I do go out - it's once a week and at most have 3 drinks. I also try to drink what is on special (if it's wine night, I drink wine, etc.) or I go during happy hour. I would say it would be a wild week if I even spent $20 a week on alcohol. Once a month, I will usually buy a box of wine. There is the occasional time I also buy a bottle or bring a bottle of wine to a friend's house. But I would say confidently that I spend under $100 a month on alcohol. Some months I am really good about it and maybe spend $50-60.

6. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    We aren't crazy but we're drinkers here, and for a while we actually had an alcohol budget.

Now, I don't keep track so much anymore. Beer goes on my grocery budget and that hasn't changed much over the years. Liquor... hm. We probably spend $50-$75 a month on liquor. Maybe more, maybe less, depending on the month. Christmas time (and visiting people and traveling and celebrating and what not) always means our alcohol spending goes up a bit.

I don't know. It isn't so much that it is a burden and I wouldn't conceive of giving up the "habit" because of all the other things I could spend the money on. I like drinking and it is worth the cost to me. :)

7. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Generally speaking, I drink a lot. I'm kind of embarrassed to say exactly how much on here though, lol. Let's just say there were some weeks I was drinking every day of the week - especially a few years ago when myself and many of my coworkers were about to lose our jobs. Now when I do drink, I just go with the cheap stuff, no more $50+ bottles of top shelf liquor. Honestly, there are many "bottom shelf" liquors that taste just fine I've discovered - it just takes a little trial and error to find one you like. Several of my friends drink quite regularly too, so when we get together it's trouble. We can easily kill a bottle in one evening if there are two of us, if there are three of us it will be gone in a couple hours.

We almost never go to bars anymore though to drink though, we just stay at home. Too risky these days, and the cops are nailing people now more than ever. Plus the markup and tips make it way too expensive. A $10 bottle of bottom shelf vodka can turn into a $60 bar tab easily, not even including tip.

8. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    uhmmm. That is quite embarrassing, but I have been spending a lot every week on beer, but it's because the pubs I go at on Saturdays are pretty expensive!! So a beer is around 12 bucks, plus 30 to get in, I easily spend over 100 every weekend... I didn't always do this, I started this month to take a bigger liking to going to bars and pubs, but I'm hoping I find a formula to spend less than that, otherwise I'll be broke in no time.

9. abgold

abgoldNew Member

Threads:
    When i caught my wife with my friend, i broke up with her and that lead me spending hell of money drinking but now am a changed person, i do not drink anymore because drinking did not solve the predicament..

10. PSLoveCharli

PSLoveCharliActive Member

Threads:
    Ohhhhh this is a toughy! (Lol) But I've actually gotten better at this. I usually spend around 50-70 bucks on wine each week! Which is horrible. Who drinks that much? I don't ever get drunk, but I blame my job I guess. It's crazy how it feels like a bill each month. Like you have to almost factor it into your budget. Crazy. I don't care though. Buy in bulk if you can! I buy my bottles on Monday and they last me through Sunday.

11. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I

I never condemn anyone for drinking. One has to get by somehow. Some drink, others take drugs, gamble or have other habits to cope with every day life. For me it's a no go zone since I grew up with abusive alcoholic parents, and I don't like the whole energy around booze. It just brings back bad memories. I can tolerate my friends drinking around me in moderation, but as soon as I feel they are having a bit too much, I don't hang around. I like to continue the conversation when they are sober again and clear in the head.

12. Scottie

ScottieMember

Threads:
    I will never drink alcohol cuz it tears families apart and starts to much ****** in the family house hold . I know my mom spends up too 100 dollars on it sometimes if she really needs to drink that bad. But as for me I've never touched it and I ever will and im 21

13. megshoe

megshoeMember

Threads:
    I typically only drink one or two beers a week, so I would say I spend about 6 or 7 dollars. I'm not a heavy drinker, but I definitely enjoy a nice wheat beer at the end of the week, or after a long day at work.

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't buy alcohol because I'm not a drinker but I did go through a phase where I drank a fair amount so I understand the value behind it as it did provide some good times and helped a lot with forming relationships. I also think about how people spend too much on alcohol but I guess I have a lot of things I spend money on that won't make sense to others. In short, I think I have my own version of alcohol so I try not to see it too much like. Waste of money when seeing others do it because I think almost everyone has a similar habit that we might not be aware of.

15. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is an interesting thread because we always have beer in the stock room and some in the fridge intended for house guests that might come unannounced. But we are not drinkers and the beer would sometimes reach the expiry date so what we do is to check on it once in a while and give it away to neighbors instead of being expired. However, my husband drinks beer with the house guests, just a can or 2, depending on the conversation.

16. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:Locally in Hawaii there's Happy Hour when drinks are less and there's no cover charge. Look for it where you'd like to go drinking, have a buddy go with you to watch your drinks when needed or to drive you home safely too. When I was young and disco was the thing we'd go bar hopping too:D, so I understand you're only young once. Live through it and did you know one of my friends never drank and he patiently goes with us and drives us home!
    * Happy Hour Information:

Save money and enjoy too. Be sure you stay healthy and take something like Milk Thistle for your liver. We drank milk before we drank too so we'd stay healthy. You're welcome in advance.

17. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:When I was younger we went disco dancing a lot, but now at a Senior Citizen age the only time I drink is for special occasions like weddings, New Years etc., so I'm really not a drinker. When I was young I loved pina colada and Kahlu'a milk.

18. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well this is where I can thankfully say I am able to save a lot of money compared to couple of years ago. I pretty much gave up drinking all together about two yeas ago and cannot remember spending any money on it since, and that is basically probably around 50 dollars a week, depending on whether or not I went out. It certainly adds up over time.

19. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I grew up around alcohol and I think that sort of scarred me life. I vowed never to drink anywhere near what many people around me do. So although I'm not teetotal, once in a while my husband and I enjoy a glass (or two of wine). We both have the same opinions on alcohol and he's on long term medication. Often, we opt for a wine spritzer or Lager shandy, which is mainly lemonade to take away the horrible taste. So we spend very little on alcohol.

20. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our household does not spend a lot of money on alcohol, at least not as a regular occurrence anyway. When it comes to adult birthdays in this household, or when it comes to holidays like Christmas and Easter, we will often buy some beer, cider, and some fruity wines. It usually lasts months, or it takes us a month to drink it all. But we do not buy booze weekly. It just isn't that sort of household.