How Much Does Bread Cost Where You Are?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by cocolgooh • Feb 1, 2016.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I was talking to a friend that lives in the US about the cost of food there. She told me that she can get a loaf of bread for $1 on average, which seems pretty cheap to me. I'm in the UK and bread here costs closer to $2 a loaf. It seemed like such a big difference that I wondered if it was the same sort of gap for other people in different areas?

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've always found the UK to be generally more expensive than the US. I'm not even sure why that is, does anyone know?!
    Anyway, bread here costs the equivalent of just under a dollar.....probably the only cheap thing here haha

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy my bread at a Walmart in Florida. The bakery bread is $1 a loaf and the factory made prepackaged white bread is $1.25 for the Great Value brand. When they mark down the day old bakery bread, it sometimes goes down to 30 cents a loaf but you have to use it fast or freeze it before it gets stale.

4. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I'm from the Philippines and bread here is usually 2 dollars as well. We buy our loaf of bread from the supermarket. The quality is good and it can last up to a week. I don't think I can find a loaf of bread for a dollar here. Even local bakeries don't sell breads so cheaply. We have pandesal, which they sell for about two cents per piece, since it's two pesos in our currency.

5. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I'm in Canada and a loaf of Wonder bread is on sale this week at Loblaws for 2/$4.50 so a loaf is even higher here in Canada. I haven't seen dollar for a load of bread in a grocery store for a long time. Even if you buy it at Costco in bulk the best you're going to get is a loaf for $1.50 but you have to buy 3 loaves at a time. Which I will do sometimes and just freeze the extra loaves.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Bread (good quality) is cheaper in the UK than it is in the US. In the UK you can get everyday value bread for 36p-45p for a loaf (Lidl,

and 76p for Hovis wholemeal.

In the US even basic loaves are a dollar and aren't that nice. A good quality loaf like Pepperidge Farm is about $3, or Sara Lee for $2. Often there will be specials and I always go for those rather than be brand loyal.

7. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A loaf of bread here costs $1 on the average. But the local morning bread called Pandesal costs $1 for 20 pieces. If you compare the two, the Pandesal is much cheaper. However, the loaf lasts longer since it is still tastes good even after 3 days while the Pandesal is hard to the bite on the next day. When I go to the mall, I always avail of the bread sale there on a buy-one-take-one promo which gives me 2 loaves for $1.

8. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    This is a little tricky to answer - as although our traditional bread which is generally only baguettes, crusty rolls and small whole loaves - normally bought from a bakers rather than a supermarket - may sound cheap at around $1 - $1.50 - as you have to buy it daily as its so solid the following day its only good for making breadcrumbs - the overall cost for a week is not exactly what you might call inexpensive.

However if you were wanting sliced pre packaged bread - similar to that sold in the US or the UK as that is only sold in tourist resorts - that would set you back around $2 - $3 possibly more for what can only be described as a very small loaf - of very unpalatable bread.

9. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    Good question.
    So here in Ontario Canada it depends on where you go and what you want.
    Super cheap factory white bread is about $1 to $1.5.
    Local bakery bread is $2-$3.50.
    Higher quality grocery store bread is $2.0-$4.
    If you go to some fancy hipster all vegan non-gmo guilt free (kind of being a joker with that one) bakery in Toronto you can buy "artisan" bread for like $7....
    I got a soft spot for the locally owned ma and pa bakery bread. Thing is it only lasts a few days before it's only good for croutons.
    So I get one of those and one cheapo white loaf and that does us for the week.

10. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    Loaves of bread in my area range from around $1 to $2, depending on how choosy you are when selecting your loaf of bread. To save money on bread, I usually purchase marked down bread which is nearing it's expiration date from stores like Kroger or Aldi. I can usually purchase marked down loaves of bread for around .50 cents per loaf. When I find it this cheap, I usually buy several loaves and store them in the freezer. Bread freezes pretty well.

Another way to save money on bread in my area is to shop at bakery thrift stores, where unsold bread loaves, buns, rolls, and other baked goods near the expiration date from several stores are sold. Usually loaves of bread are priced from .50 cents to $1 at bakery thrift stores. I like to purchase bags of bagels at these types of stores for around $1 each.

Of course, if you really want to save money there is always the option to bake your own! Homemade bread is delicious, and can be made for a fraction of the price of store-bought bread, if you have the time.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Loaf bread over here costs around $1 to $2, although there are certain types of bread that are cheaper than that and cost only 50 cents per 6 pieces of hamburger buns.

12. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oahu where I live we have Love's bread thrift shops and the cheapest bread is 2.39. We have a card they punch when you make purchases and when it's filled, $22 worht, you get to choose a stand of baked goods for just .25! Sales at Safeway a national chain is 3.49 for a loaf of multi wheat bread. You can get a small french loaf for 1.29, about a foot long or a small round sour dough about 7" wide for 1.69.

13. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    If it's some brand name processed bread, like Pepperidge Farm or Wonder Bread, then it's usually over $2.50 for a loaf or a bag of buns. I almost never buy processed bread though since I hate how soft it is, and it doesn't hold up well when making sandwiches.

I really prefer the breads and rolls made fresh from our grocery store in-house bakeries. Their basic loaves are also much cheaper, and they sell standard loaves of Italian bread for 99 cents each. They also sell a heartier "Sicilian" style loaf, which is denser and chewier and has a harder crust, for $2 a loaf. I personally think the $2 loaf is a better deal because the slices are much more filling, so I don't go through the whole loaf as quickly.

If you get into more specialty breads, like Pumpernickel, those tend to run close to $3 or more though, from our bakeries.

14. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Bread prices here range from $1 to $2.21 with one the $1 bread being the lowest quality [it's all subjective because I didn't note that huge a difference in taste or "quality"]. I don't like bread but whenever I buy bread I always go for the $2 loaf pricer though it might be because all the marketing has convinced me that the more expensive bread is "tastier."

15. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree that 'bread' varies a lot. I can get the cheapest loaf for around $1, and I do buy that, but it's not my favorite. I grew up eating a variety of better breads, and those are now out of my price range. The $1 loaves have high fructose corn syrup and other ingredients that I'd rather not be consuming, but as @Theo@Theo mentioned, a good loaf of bread can vary from $2 to $4 or more. I was really happy that Kroger gave a good loaf of bread for its Friday Freebie recently, and the texture was a lot different. The $1 bread is lacking in seeds and extra fiber, and has a very soft mushy texture.

16. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It really depends on where you buy the bread. I would say the cheapest loaves are under a dollar, but you can pay as much for 3.50 for a loaf. I bought some rye bread the other day, it was 2.29 at Trader Joe's. I try to buy decent quality bread and not necessarily the cheapest.

17. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    We go through about a loaf of bread per day in my house and so sandwich bread always has to be cheap. I pay about $1.25 for sandwich bread and will then splurge on artisan breads during the summer when school is not in session. Sara Lee has a new bread out that is called Artesan and it is super good. It is on sale at my grocery store for $2.49 right now. I had to buy a loaf yesterday because they were out of my normal bread.

18. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This thread has been eye opening. I live in Southern California and I haven't seen $1 dollar unless I'm in the Dollar Tree or 99 Cent Only stores. I don't buy bread very often, but when I do I pay at least $3.00 for it. I do shop at Trader Joe's and Sprouts Farmer's Market, but I have seen higher prices at Vons, Ralph's, etc. There isn't a Walmart in my area. The bread maybe a little cheaper there. Specialty bread such as flaxseed, chia or sprouted bread is even higher.Unfortunately, I like sprouted bread which is why I don't buy bread very often.

19. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Bread here costs around $1.50 but there are more expensive varieties if you don't buy from a grocery. Some specialty bakeries will sell loaves at around $3. Everything is much cheaper here though so it's only normal that the price of bread is that low though to us it is just fair. I think some of the less popular brands are even cheaper but I don't really buy bread all that much so I don't know how much lower the price of those are.

20. lordrenly

lordrenlyActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I can get a wheat bread here in San Francisco for about 1 dollar per loaf. Generally the local supermarket like Safeway have them for about the same price as well. I don't think "lower quality" bread is that bad though so I never really consider the $3-$4 bread in Trader Joe's, for example. (I love their pastas but I am not a big fan of their bread in general).