How Much Ram Do You Have?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by TheViper • Nov 3, 2014.

1. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    I am currently in the market to purchase parts to go in for my custom desktop build . We are currently looking at including at least 8gbs of ram that is expandable to 16gbs. The PC that I am currently on is so old that I can't upgrade it beyond the 1gbs it currently has. How much ram is currently running your computers?

2. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I have a laptop that I recently increased the RAM to 8 GB. If you are building a computer, then I would tell you to go with 12 GB that can be expanded to 16. I just feel that all desktops should be clearly more powerful than the average laptop, that should be the tradeoff for working in one place.

3. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I have an old laptop with 3GB RAM and a desktop with 16GB. You have to consider your mileage and adjust your specs accordingly. If you won't be running resource-intensive software, 8GB should be just fine.

4. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Well, my desktop only has 1GB. I don't really install games on it, so this amount of RAM is okay. :)

5. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I have a laptop running 12GB's. I upgraded it from the usual 4GB to an 8GB stick and then I got a bit carried away with the upgrading that I thought it would benefit me more if I upgraded to a 12, which it did in a way but to be honest I hardly see any difference.

6. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Just 2GB of DDR3 ram - yes, I need an upgrade asap but lack the money. Most of the newer games and application run poorly, especially now that I'm using Windows 7 as an operating system. From what I read when people post their system specs 8GB ram seems to be the norm these days since it's quite enough to run newer games or software. Having the opportunity to expand at 16GB is a great idea, go for it.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have an old machine with around 1GB of RAM which can be increased to 4GB or thereabouts. Since I use the computer mostly for browsing, that's good enough for me. Of course I may have to replace the machine any time and when I do, quite obviously I'd opt for a machine that's got like 8GB or so of RAM.

8. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    This Acer Aspire laptop of mine I've had for 2 years and that I've recently had fixed by replacing its HDD drive, is equipped with 4 GB of RAM that I do not need anymore of. I'm perfectly fine with the amount I have since I'm not a computer gamer or anything like that. I'm a web browser guy and use other programs here and there when I feel or need to.

9. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I'm at 32GB's on my Desktop and 16 on my laptop. A bit excessive yes but if you're working on really tough computing like graphic design and video editing you'll need as much RAM as possible and the fastest one available. If you're not working in production then I guess a 4GB stick is enough for you, 2GB's now are a bit under and I think 4GB is the new standard but RAM's are really cheap so there's no reason not to upgrade.

10. crazyman1090

crazyman1090Member

Threads:
    I have 4x8gb on my desktop, 2x4gb in my laptop (I think). This is way more than enough for the stuff I do (play games occasionally, word processing, photoshop). I'm looking for the computer that I have right now to last up to at least 2020. The ram is this model: GSkill TridentX DDR3 2400 mhz 4x8GB. Look at up on newegg if you want to see what it looks like and read the reviews.

11. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    80% of computer users don't need anything more than 4 GB of RAM, and virtually nobody needs more than 8 GB of RAM unless they're doing intensive work with graphics or for the absolute optimal settings on games. 16 and 32 GB of RAM are completely unnecessary for about 95% of computer users. It's as simple as that. I've got a laptop running 2GB and one running 4GB, although my next two machines will have 8GB each.

12. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    I've had this computer for about 3 years now, I believe it's a 2011 or 2012 model Inspiron 5520R model with the i5 processor. Anyways I have 8GB of ram, and after so many years it still gets the job done with room to spare. I think it'll last me a good year or two from now before it starts to slow, and even when it does I can basically switch most things over to a light Linux distro like Elementary OS and it'll still be nice and fast.

13. lucaspm98

lucaspm98New Member

Threads:
    I only have 4 gigs on my computer and 6 six gigs on my family's other computer. I wish it was slightly more but what we have has just barely been sufficent. It's absolutely fine for most day to day activites like checking email or watching videos, the only time the performance drops is when I try to run any modern games. Still, I knew when I got it that it was a trade off between price and performance.

14. wowtgp

wowtgpActive Member

Threads:
    I don't ave much Ram in my laptop. It's only 2 GB. Thee was a time when it used to be more than enough, but not today. I have a gaming PC as well with more than 12 GB of Ram. I can play nearly every game with this much am. No need to upgrade Ram for next 5 years.

15. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I have 8GB of RAM, and I've found it to be much more than enough for day-to-day use. 4GB should suffice for people who use their computers mainly for work and watching videos, 8-12GB is only really necessarily if you're looking to play more demanding PC games.

16. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    8GB. More than enough right now, since I'm not doing any 3D modelling etc. As it is, I can still have Chrome with 30+ tabs open and play a new AAA game on ultra without any slowdown. Gonna be a while until I upgrade.

17. Saji

SajiNew Member

Threads:
    I have 8 GB of RAM and it's more than enough. I suggest that you focus on the RAM's frequency (prefer 1866 MHz). Also, I heard that DDR4 RAM came out for desktops and that Intel's X99 motherboard supports DDR4 RAM. Remember, it's the frequency of the RAM that dictates how fast your RAM is, not the size. For example: A 8 GB DDR3 1866 MHz RAM will always be faster than a 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM. Good luck :)

18. deathbyprayer

Threads:
    Wow, 32GB's? I can't imagine how you can use all of those. I mean, I have 12GB's in mine I can't even see how it's being used not more than 25% of it I guess.

19. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a graphic designer and I need as much computing power as possible especially when handling designs that are really really big. I don't think I can utilize 100% of it but even if I can't, I don't think it's waste since I'm having no problems with my computer ever since I upgraded.

20. deathbyprayer

Threads:
    I see, but don't the graphics card handle most of the tasks for that? I'm assuming you have a high end card, if so then I think that much RAM can be a bit too much but then again the more the better. :)