How much RAM is necessary?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by lovemwaf • Jul 7, 2014.

1. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    There were a lot of computers out there that are being sold with 4 GB of RAM as minimum. I've also seen a few computers with 8 GB of RAM. With these high specs does it really make a difference. Are there a lot of programs that need this much RAM, or is getting for a safe bet?

2. johnnear

johnnearActive Member

Threads:
    4GB's of RAM is more that enough if you're CPU is powerful enough. I have 12GB's of RAM at my disposal and for the most part, I never see my computer use more than 50% of it. If you have a powerful enough CPU then having 4Gb's or 8Gb's of RAM will do, but if you want to do some multitasking of if you're computer is running slow then you might want to consider upgrading to more GB's. But I think 4GB's is more than enough, it will still depend on the kind of computing you do though.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Unless you'll be running programs that need a lot of RAM, like video-editing software, games, rendering animations, and such, you won't a lot of RAM. I got an old machine with 189 MB RAM and it runs just fine because I use it mostly for browsing. So if you need a computer for basic stuff only then if the 4GB RAM computer is cheaper then get it.

4. lionzfire122

lionzfire122Member

Threads:
    It depends on the person and the computer! If you have a 32-bit I believe you can only run up to 4 gb of ram, regardless if you change the settings in your preferences. Now if you have a 64-bit and only 4 GB of ram you can actually set it much higher than even 10 GB of ram without even buying any chips.

It is much smoother for the user to run on a 64 bit computer, with any kind of ram. Your simply just able to change the settings in your graphics by changing how much ram your computer is able to use. So if you have a 64-bit computer with even only 3 GB of RAM, change your graphic settings yourself, and make it as high as you want. That will boost the heck out of your performance.

Basically, it all depends on what you want and if the computer is 32-bit or 64-bit.

LIONZFIRE

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use only 1 GB RAM, and I noticed that even if I only have Chrome running and some other processes running in the background, it uses 935 MB already. So I think that at least 2 GB is the ideal amount of RAM a pc should have. I can't even install Bluestacks here because it requires 2 GB of RAM.

6. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    4GB's of RAM is enough to get you around and 8GB is adequate. RAM is for multitasking and overall performance improvement, if you're just planning to browse the internet on your computer then you don't need that much run to begin with, but you're going to do a lot of heavy computing and some resource hogging applications the n you might want to consider upgrading.

7. That'sDevo

That'sDevoActive Member

Threads:
    I would say between 4-8GB unless you're going to do really heavy gaming or working on video editing. For video editing a cpu is probably more important anyway. I have 4gb ram myself and just browse forums and play WoW/Starcraft but will be upgrading to 8 gradually.

8. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    It depends a lot on what kind of things you are doing on your computer.
    If you're just browsing the internet and playing Facebook games and such, then 2Gb should be plenty enough for you, if you do some serious gaming then I'd recommend at least 4Gb, maybe more if you're playing games that are very memory-intensive. Then there's the really heavy uses like graphics processing and video editing where you might want to have over 8Gb, maybe 16Gb to be really comfortable.

9. jdwriter

jdwriterActive Member

Threads:
    The same is true of software development. If you are doing anything like that and running a web server on your computer you need at least 4GB of RAM. There are ways around this, but it is a good rule of thumb. For simply web surfing or most normal tasks like word processing and messaging, you can easily get by with less than 4GB.

10. blackbagel

blackbagelMember

Threads:
    The max you would ever need is 8gb if you are playing games at high or some games where they optimized the game very poorly and use a large portion of the RAM. You can go by with 4gb for everyday use and some gaming but if you want to render videos or play games on high quality graphics, then 8gb is the way to go. It however really depends on what you are going to use the computer for because it varies with what you want to do with the computer.

11. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    If you're not using it for gaming then 4gb of ram is more than enough. It's better to have the specs spread out to all aspects than just focussing on ram alone. Look for a decent CPU to really get a smooth performance. As for GPU, get at least 1gb if you're looking to use your PC to watch HD contents.

12. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    This is kind of like asking, 'How much jam is enough for my sandwich?'

And the answer is;What do you want out of your computer?

There is no clearly defined answer which will work for everyone. We need to know what you want from your computer, what you plan on doing with it, will anyone else be using it, how long do you plan on keeping this computer?

13. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The overwhelming majority of computer users don't need more than 4 GB of RAM. Some can get by with as little as 2 GB if they're just browsing the Internet. Only people that play games, manage huge databases, or engage in intricate design programs will need 8 GB or more. Perhaps 1% of users need 16 or 32 GB of RAM. If you're not gaming or designing, then you're probably going to waste money on getting more RAM. It's not that expensive, though, so you should go with what you think you'll need.

14. maxparker0

maxparker0Member

Threads:
    As said above, it really depends on your uses. I'm not really a heavy user of my laptop and hence 4 GB of RAM works perfectly fine for me. I do not notice any problems with my laptop with 4 GB, so I guess for a regular user, 4 GB is good enough.

15. Navii

NaviiActive Member

Threads:
    If you only use it for browsing or simple office tasks you won't even need the 4GB RAM, but if you are a video editor or want to do some work in photoshop I recommend you getting something more powerful like 8GB or 12GB RAM, since those programs use a lot of resources and it sucks if it's lagging all the time. Other than that I don't see a problem in getting the cheaper 4GB model, since it will be more than enough for you.

16. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    If you're going to use your computer for basic stuff like typing documents or going online to check your email, then having a computer with little RAM is fine. It isn't ideal if you need to download files or programs of a significant size. You'll never be able to get the full access to these large files. It's good for saving money but for me, I need a computer with lots of RAM.

17. Annabell

AnnabellActive Member

Threads:
    All depends on what you're doing. If you're going to be doing heavy amounts of of computer use, using multiple programs at the same time which are very heavy on your computer's resources, then obviously you need a lot. A server needs quite a bit more than your average laptop.

18. GLOGIK

GLOGIKMember

Threads:
    Hi, the amount of RAM a system requires is actually dependent to a large extent on the purpose for which the system has been obtained. Of course, this in turn determines the kinds of application packages/programs that will be installed on such a system.

Remember, the acronym RAM stands for Random Access Memory, and is used to refer to the working space for open applications in a computer system. If you intend to use your system for a lot of multimedia stuff, then be prepared to furnish the system with enough memory to handle related tasks.

In fact, I'm of the opinion that more memory is often better. Even with a powerful processor, you still need a generous amount of RAM, because the processor can only process the amount of data it finds in the RAM. If you have not enough RAM to hold a large amount of data to be processed by the processor at any given time, then even the most powerful processor becomes incapacitated, and will not be able to perform optimally. This will in turn affect overall system performance.

19. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm using a 5 year old laptop with only 2 gb RAM, and I don't encounter much lag or any other problems with it, so I'm guessing it's good enough for most casual users. I imagine it would be much better to have more if you plan on using it for editing or designing though. I myself am planning on getting a much more powerful laptop soon so I could use it for my multimedia projects.