How much research went into your first bank account?

Discussion in Bank Accounts started by Esperahol • Nov 4, 2014.

1. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Or really did any sort of research go into your first bank account? Me personally there was no research, because I was piggybacking off my mother's account. I would never think to do such a thing now (not that my credit is good enough for such), but at the time there was all this other stuff to be worrying over nevermind boring things like interest rates and invested fees and whatever else. So what about you?

2. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Very little as banks weren't as anti-consumer as they are now. Sneezing on your checkbook didn't generate a bank fee and they weren't trying to be the first institution to drive college students into debt. Now, it's hardly worth getting a bank account with all of the alternatives that someone can look into to manage their money.

3. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    Quite a lot in my case. I was still a student back then, looking for one that wouldn't hurt my pocket too much. The plans are almost the same in every bank, though, so I really couldn't go wrong with any. More research went into finding my next bank accounts. Admittedly, I spend too much time over analyzing all the little details and differences.

4. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    In my case, I don't research much on choosing on my first bank account. It was recommended by my father.He said that most of the banks are the same and has nothing to worry about.

5. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I did not do much research. My first one my mother pretty much decided what I was going to do and made me do it. I was stuck with that one until I graduated from college and got a job, then I immediately opened an account with a new bank that has great customer service, unlike the other one.

I chose my bank because a lot of people I know are very happy with them. I just got personal checking, so nothing fancy.

6. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    To be honest, I didn't put any research time into my first bank account at all, because I was very young and didn't really understand quite just how much difference it can make. So I simply went for the bank that is nearest to me, and whichever account they recommended to me, which was a pretty simple one. However then I found out about the types of accounts that you were able to get some rewards for, and I chose to go for one of those instead. Now, I will never bother to sign up for a bank account unless I know that I am able to get something out of it rather than them just making money out of me.

7. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I was 12 when my mom made me my own bank account so there was no research whatsoever that went into it. My mom just picked the rural bank nearest to our home and voila! I think I stayed with them till when I was 16 then I transferred to a bigger bank. They were also experiencing financial difficulties back then, lay-offs and other stuff so I decided to transfer. It would be devastating to lose my hard earned money to bankruptcy considering that the insurance process here in the Philippines is so damn hard.

8. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I did my research when I first opened a personal bank account but it wasn't that extensive. I chose a particular bank based on their offerings and my available funds. I was able to open one with an affordable maintaining balance. As long as I didn't go down below that amount, I'd be able to keep my account for as long as possible. It didn't last long, though. Back then, the problem was me and not the bank. I've learned a lot from my past errors now.

9. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    None.
    Mom worked at the bank and opened me up the account.
    I still have the same account going on a good 15 years now. Must say I am happy with it though.

10. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    None at all, because it was a credit union account that my mom opened for me. But I did transfer my funds to a different credit union recently, so some research went into that. Mainly to make sure I wouldn’t be hit with fees that didn’t apply to my old account. So far, so good. Pretty much everyone who has used this credit union is happy with it, and I’m among that number.