How much to change a radiator?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by lindbergh • Mar 11, 2014.

1. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I bought my used car, the radiator was no longer its original radiator. It was already changed to a metal radiator with no drain valve at the bottom. I kinda dislike a radiator that I can't drain which is why I would like to get a new one. How much does a new radiator cost and how much would I pay to a mechanic to get it replaced?

2. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Definitely, you want to take care of the radiator. A shop will make a killing off your misfortune. :rolleyes: Note, the typical cost for an average one is 120 USD - and if the radiator is larger with internal transmission and a cooler, then you're looking at 360 USD. Also, note the rate for labor is steep also ranging from 160 to 340 USD. Finally, the cost of the coolant ranges for 12 to 25 USD per gallon - and there are charges for other things like radiator mounts, hose clamps, cooling system parts, and hoses.

3. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pardon me for this comment but why fix it when it ain’t broke? You may not be able to related with the cost of radiator here but with our previous car which was more than 10 years old, I had the radiator checked and cleaned every 2 years or so. That lengthens the life of the radiator. For an old car, I guess installing a refurbished radiator is more advisable than buying a new radiator which is very expensive. And with your present metal radiator, if it’s still in good conditione then don’t mind it.