How Much Would You Spend on a Pair of Sunglasses?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Mystique • Jun 28, 2012.

1. Mystique

MystiqueActive Member

Threads:
    Recently, I wrote a few articles about sunglasses for designer brands. I did some research on them by viewing some websites and I was rather shocked at the prices of those sunglasses.

Do people (well, not very surprised that celebrities buy them - although, I'm sure some get those sunglasses as gifts!) really spend over $200 for a pair of sunglasses?

How much would you spend and does brand matter to you?

2. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOnActive Member

Threads:
    There are a couple schools of thought on sunglasses.

People buy the cheapies because they really don't care what they are wearing and they lose them so often that they can't see spending money on them.

There are you medium spenders like myself. I have a pair of $100 polarized glasses but I drive for work alot and I golf three times a week. There is a huge difference playing a sport with decent glasses over a $5 pair you bought from the gas station. I still lose mine though.:p I just buy them off of ebay and try to find a deal.

There are those that buy the expensive glasses. Some just for the name, some for the quality, for both. Mostly because they can afford them. I would love to put a pair of Oakleys on my head for golf but it's not in my price range.

3. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I find it's a complete waste to spend $200 on a pair of sunglasses.

Our local dollar store sells $2 sunglasses and they seem fine to me. The brand doesn't matter to me and the price is a major factor in any decision to purchase an item.

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually buy sunglasses that I've picked up at the 99 Cent Only Stores. I have paid a lot for prescription sunglasses. I need glasses to drive and there's a lot of sun in California. I had a medical spending account that covered most of the cost.

5. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    When I was a bit younger I always bought designer sunglasses, but then I could only afford one pair at a time. Now I prefer to buy less expensive sun glasses so that I can have more than one pair to mix and match with my outfits. An advantage of owning cheaper sunglasses is that, when you misplace them, it doesn't spoil your whole day as it would've felt had it been an expensive pair.

6. Mystique

MystiqueActive Member

Threads:
    I own only two designer sunglasses - one that I bought with my own pocket money, and the other was a gift. The others that I have are from flea markets or Forever21, XOXO, and similar boutiques. I don't see myself spending hundreds of dollars on a pair of sunglasses anymore - it's just not worth it and I would rather spend that money on food.

7. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I don't spend a lot on sunglasses. This may sound a bit odd, but kid sized sunglasses actually fit me better than adult sized ones. It can be a bit difficult to find adult looking but kid sized ones, but they are a lot cheaper. They also have the UV protection and scratch resistant coating. One pair will last me for several years.

8. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I think I've spent $65 on some sunglasses. They were by Guess and I had them in college. For the most part, I can't get away with cheap sunglasses. They really do something to my vision, so I need something that were made with a little quality or they end up being a total waste of money. Right now, I'd probably get a really good pair of sunglasses because I'm older and the chances of me losing them would be slim.

9. HustleMama

HustleMamaNew Member

Threads:
    I treat myself once in a while to a nice pair of sunglasses. My last purchase of "nice" sunglasses cost $15 after discounts and coupons were applied at a department store. The brand was Nine West. I have no problem purchasing sunglasses at a dollar store as well. I finally turned my husband on to the cheaper glasses. We frequent the beach and other outdoorsy places where a nice pair of shades are very necessary. It doesn't make much sense for either of us to have an expensive pair because they most always are broken or lost. Every summer I find myself looking for a new pair of sunglasses. Last year we really lucked up. We went to Williamsburg, VA and there was a vendor selling sunglasses for
    $5. They were celebrity looking glasses. Please dont ask me where they are now. lol Needless to say, another summer, another pair of sunglasses.

10. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I can't imagine why somebody would spend that much on sunglasses. Unless they were prescription, but even then, $200 is way too much. My best friend used to wear prescription transition lenses, and his came out to only $50. I don't need a prescription, so I can't imagine ever spending more than $5 or $10 on a pair.

11. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yes, people really, really do spend that much on sunglasses.

Personally, I'm not going to spend more than a few bucks. It doesn't matter how much I've spent in the past, they always end up breaking or getting lost anyway, so why bother?

12. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I love sunglasses but I am not too concerned about the brand. I do know many people, in fact family and close friends that pay loads for sunshades, but that is their business, not mine. A few years ago my cousin had a pair of Diesel shades snatched straight off his eyes in a train in Prague. Another friend had a pair stolen elsewhere...so, no I would not invest too much in sunshades but it a good quality pair is something that I do invest in.

13. saizo6

saizo6Active Member

Threads:
    I can't really wear sunglasses unless they are prescription ones. It also doesn't help that I don't like wearing contacts. But I would never spend a lot of money on a pair of sunglasses because it seems like such a waste for something that isn't going to be used that often. Another factor is the fact that I'm prone to breaking my glasses (by stepping on them or sitting on them) so it's not a good idea to spend a lot of money.

14. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    sunglasses really dont' fit me well so if I find a brand that works I stick with it. I have a pair of oakley fives taht I've had for 12 years I spent $120 on them but when you divide it out that's only what, $10 a year. They are horribly beat up by now so I just bought a new pair, this time they were $150 and I dont' like them as well.

15. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    $200 is cheap for prescription sunglasses. I've had prescription transition lenses and they just don't get very dark. It's more like a light tint. The people at the optometrist office will even tell you that the television commercial is very deceiving.

16. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    Sad to say I've only ever had two pairs of sunglasses in my life - one when I was a kid and one during high school. I've never really felt the need for them, either for fashion purposes or even to protect my eyes.

17. Dr23

Dr23Member

Threads:
    I'm a bit on the frugal side. That being said, I'd only spend around $30 for sunglasses. I've never been a fan of designer shades nor have I ever viewed them as a legitimate fashion statement. I've never understood how someone can plunk down that much cash, nor have I understood how the it became fashionable to wear them indoors.

I'll stick with wearing a hat and I'll stick to spending my money on other, more practical things.

18. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    The most I'll pay for sunglasses is $50 and that's pushing it for me. I don't know how anyone can pay $200, unless you use them all the time. If you're in a sunny area and you need them to drive it's understandable. If you buy them purely for fashion and they don't really serve a purpose I just don't agree. Some people have the extra money to spend, but I don't so I'll have to pass on that offer.

19. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I don't care about brands and really there is no way I'm paying 200 dollars for some glasses. I barely want to pay 200 for a Playstation or a tablet or a laptop, why would I do that for something so utterly useless?

20. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    Well, first of all, sunglasses aren't useless. If you are going to spend time in the sun you should wear sunglasses so as to try to prevent glaucoma and cataracts in teh future. When I bought my first expensive pair of sunglasses, I was lifeguarding and was in the sun for 8+ hours a day.