How often do you change out your keyboard?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by MrsJones • Dec 31, 2014.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I've been fortunate enough that I have keyboards from PCs that I've purchased in the past probably about three. The one that I'm currently using is okay but there are some keyboards that have features that have caught my attention. I hesitate because I really don't want to go through the learning process but at the same time the costs are reasonable.

Do you stick to your old tried and true keyboard or do you replace your keyboard often?

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's not like keyboards are radically different from each other. Even keyboards with different layouts all function the same, especially if you barely use the extra shortcut buttons or other features. I swap out keyboards once or twice per year on average more because I'm rough on them rather than getting tired of a given keyboard. They tend to last for a long time without needing a replacement.

3. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    My boyfriend has a wireless keyboard that he LOVES and we have had it through two computer upgrades. It still works really well and is exactly what he wants so there's been no reason to change it.

I bought a hardwired dvorak keyboard about 4 years ago when I was working in a corporate office. They didn't care if I used dvorak instead of qwerty but they wouldn't let me mess with windows on their computer to do the switch in language so I needed a hardwired keyboard. Now that I no longer work there, I usually I just use the software switch on my laptop or whatever. I touch type so I don't NEED to have a keyboard with letters. It sits around now unused mostly but if I get another office job where the corporate system locks me out from making changes to the OS, I'll pull the keyboard back out.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I tend to stick around with my old keyboard until it conks out or I acquire a new keyboard when a new pc has been bought. Although when it breaks, I would love to get those keyboards that light up in the dark. The 2 keyboards that we have here are still working fine after several years of use.

5. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only had a desktop when I was a teenager and that I can recall I never switched the keyboard. At the time I was learning languages and I had stickers with the new alphabets I was gluing them there, so I actually had two keyboards that last me for some years.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    These days I only ever work with laptops, so if anything goes wrong with the keyboard, it's a major drama. The whole thing has to be replaced. When I bought my last laptop two years ago, I didn't know that something would go wrong with my keyboard one day after my warranty expired. It cost me over $100 to replace it. At the time, not even a plug in keyboard worked with my laptop. So, fingers crossed that it won't happen again... for a while.

7. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    I usually try and keep my old keyboards unless they just stop functioning. Though, I can be messy at times and that at times can reflect on my keyboard. The one I have now is kinda too big for my desk and I've just been too lazy to replace it.

8. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I only use laptops these days. That being said, I tend to use pretty much everything I get until there's nothing left to use or what there is left has become completely unusable.

9. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    The only time that I changed my keyboard was when something went wrong with my computer and I was still under warranty, and they very kindly offered to change the keyboard as well. It's not something that would really occur to me unless I really had to. And I certainly wouldn't think about a sparkly new one, simply because it was the newest kid on the block. As long as it still works, I'm fine.

10. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    Never tried changing my keyboard since I always buy a laptop. However I was thinking of getting a desktop and making my own gaming rig but mom stopped me because she thought it would be bulky and it will make our house look cluttered. That's why I went with another laptop to save space and so that I can bring it to school whenever I need it for doing my thesis.

11. tournique

tourniqueActive Member

Threads:
    I had an expensive keyboard only once in my life span. And since it broke down as a cheap keyboard I sticked to buying 10$ items all the time. the 10$ keyboard works fine for my needs and it seems that It hardly gets damaged in case of extreme gaming rage (which I rarely have). That being said I think I run through 1 keyboard every 2-3 years.

12. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never seen the point of replacing a keyboard if it's still working.

The keyboard I'm using now is about 5 years old and it still looks new. Were it not for the fact that the computer is old must replaced I wouldn't think of replacing this keyboard until . . . well even when I get myself a new computer I could still keep the keyboard and use it in future when the one that comes with the new computer stops working.

13. tournique

tourniqueActive Member

Threads:
    I never used a mechanical keyboard but i'm seriously considering one. Are there any added benefits over a standard one?

14. wowtgp

wowtgpActive Member

Threads:
    I change the keyboard only when the old one stops functioning. It's easier for me to work with a old keyboard as my hands are used to it. I can type without looking. On the other hand, you have to spend first few days getting used to your new keyboard, which is frustrating.

15. mizrael

mizraelMember

Threads:
    I don't see the point of switching out your keyboard If it's working fine, if you want to freshen up your computer desk with a new keyboard and you can afford it by all means do that. Some of the new keyboards out there are cordless with different shapes and sizes, they have some extra features that make you feel like you're flying a ship, If you're into that sort of thing. Other than that I don't see the point of switching out a perfectly working keyboard.

16. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't change my keyboards until they break. I don't need that many fancy features so I never replace my basic one but I suppose I'd be open to it if ever there were any features that would really entice me that much. Mostly though I don't game or need much with a full featured keyboard with lots of shortcuts because I mostly only use the keyboard for a few shortcuts for my work programs. The only time I've been tempted to replace it is for the backlit ones but even then I've put it off because I don't really need it since I never work in the dark anyway.

17. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    Huh, thinking about it, I have never once replaced any keyboards. I think most of my keyboards lasted on me quite a long time without any damage. And I only replace them when I replace the whole computer as well. Because when we buy computers, we tend to buy them brand new and completely replace the old one. I guess I'm not much of a gamer because I don't hit hard on my keyboard. Even when I type stuff out, that didn't made my keyboard destroyed or broken.

18. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I've always used a standard keyboard except once when purchased me a cordless keyboard and mouse. That was the only benefit was not having to deal with at least two cords/cables. Some keyboards are ergonomically designed but most are standard. I would say that the benefits of a keyboard would be the preference of the individual.