How Often Do You Change Your Oven Gloves?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Theo • Aug 5, 2015.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think once they get some burn marks on them, then it's time to throw them out. Unfortunately my parents being frugal keep theirs until they fall apart. On this occasion a hole was burnt through the glove and burnt me. Even though they had new ones in the garage, they wouldn't use them.

I would recommend throwing them out once there are a few scald marks as it means the glove will offer less protection. Don't get burned like me. You may ask why I didn't change the glove? Well I did, but my frugal parents whose house it is refused. As soon as I was burned, my mother threw the glove away and moment later produced a new one. Don't be too frugal as you can get injured.

2. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    I replace them when the have a hole, like you mentioned (usually because I sat it on the oven top, forgetting it was really hot), or when they get too greasy or nasty to use anymore without feeling dirty. Also, when I change different things in my kitchen. I like for things to match.

3. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I’m using a mismatched pair right now, one of which is definitely developing a hole… whoops. They’re on my list of things to replace since it’s quite a pain to use an oven mitt that doesn’t do its job properly. So I agree, it’s better to replace them when there's some wear and tear.

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree, once you get burn marks on them, and it always seems inevitable, I think it's time to get new ones. They just don't look right, and even if they don't have holes, they just don't look clean. The burn marks never seem to come off in the wash. I couldn't even use mismatched ones as I always get those "one piece" ones, not tow separate ones.

5. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    Just because I'm using them to handle food, I can't handle them looking dirty at all. Any burns, holes, or stains, I won't let it go anywhere near my food.

6. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy machine washable one-piece oven gloves and discard them if they get burnt. I don't find them half as effective once they have been damaged and as I'm quite clumsy anyway, it's safer to exchange them for a new pair.

I forgot to add, I always buy dark gloves so any staining left after washing them is not visible!

7. dandeliion

dandeliionMember

Threads:
    I usually hold on to them until they've got burn marks, too... Which reminds me that I should definitely get new ones! I don't see the point on holding on to them for too long as they're not that expensive to replace especially if you get them at a store like Marshall's or Ross.

8. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think the problem is no one ever tells you these things and we expect in this day and age for oven gloves to be indestructible. The words used to sell them 'heat resistant' don't help, because they don't really resist the heat if you pull something out that has been on a high temperature in the oven.

I know people like to match things int he kitchen, but safety comes first and they should sell them in pairs and not singles too!

9. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I'm trying to keep a frugal lifestyle up, but there are things I don't concede to avoid spending, and one of them are oven gloves, not just for aesthetic reasons, but also safety handling truly hot stuff.

Therefore, I changed my oven gloves and kitchen clothes as soon as they have a charred sign, but lately I got a silicon oven gloves that seem to resist hot temperature great and not burning with ease as regular fabric-made gloves.

10. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Never! I'm laughing alone now because I really have never changed them. I have only two, and to be honest I rarely use them, so they are not as worn. I prefer getting hot pans and recipients with a regular dish cloth.

11. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is a good question and something I never really thought about. I usually save them until they are burnt and mangled beyond repair I guess. I am using towels more than oven gloves these days. It is hot here in Virginia too so we don't tend to use our ovens a lot in the winter time at least I don't.

12. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's how my parents are and which is why I ended up with getting a scalded finger. Being frugal is one thing, but when it compromises your safety then it is a false economy. Maybe a good tip is to use the gloves when the oven temperature has been lowered instead to prevent getting burnt?

13. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yesterday we cooked chicken in the griller of our cooking range. Using the oven gloves, I called to housemaid to remind her abuot laundering the oven gloves. We wash oven gloves together with the laundry that's why they don't last that long. But that's better than using a dirty oven glove. It is used for handling food so sanitation and hygiene should be the priority.

14. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    I was cooking a meatloaf one night. I didn't really pay attention to wear I set the glove down. Apparently I laid a piece of it in the water. Have you ever used one with just a little bit water? I think it may actually hurt less if you pull it out with your bare hands.

15. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I toss mine once they start falling apart enough that I might get burned....but not to the point of actually getting burned usually.

If I already had some sitting in the garage, though, I wouldn't hesitate to swap out sooner if I wanted to.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We don't use them much, but the sole oven gloves that I use had a hole in it and I still use it. I just avoid my skin being near that hole because I only use it to get the dish that I have been steaming inside the rice cooker. I agree though that once you get burned from using it, then you should replace immediately.