How often do you change your tires?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by Strykstar • Apr 9, 2014.

1. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I was told that I should change my tires because it has been a couple of years, even though I think they are still fine, not damaged at all.
    Is this true? Or is it just a waste of money if I don't really need new ones?

2. Tiara Murphy

Tiara MurphyNew Member

Threads:
    I know that our tires have a "2 year, 40,000 mile" lifespan. How are the threads looking? It's the traction you've definitely got to be worrying about. I know that before I had mine changed recently, a little rain sent my CRV sliding. It can also effect your alignment. If the tread is fine, you still might want to consider a rotation! Just a thought and hope that helps!

3. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I think I changed over 2 years ago, maybe 3-4. The thread is still OK, it has some wear but nothing extreme, I don't notice any problems with traction or alignment.
    I might consider rotating them though, that seems like a safe choice and much cheaper than getting new ones.

4. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I would have to see to be able to give you a very good and correct judgment. But if you've been driving your car for over 2 to 3 years with the same tires and I think that is very important that she should give this some serious thought and consider changing them. One thing a lot of drivers don't recognize is that you can't naturally hangs on the tires. If you tires are not in good shape you really do put your life in danger. If you are driving at a high speed and one of your tires were to burst it would most likely get into a serious accident and not survive. So I would consider changing my tires in saving my life over saving a couple hundred dollars at this present moment.

5. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the advice lovemwaf, I'm definitely going to the mechanic as soon as possible to see whether they need to be changed (of course the mechanic will say yes).
    It's really like you say, there is no price that can be put on safety, it's the most important thing we can spend money on.

6. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really don't have a time frame for how often I change them, just when I see they are no longer in conditions I get new ones. This doesn't happen too often, I have my car possibly over 6 years now and I've only changed a pair, the other pair is the one that was there and they were not new. Still in good condition though after 100.000 Km.

7. Taki

TakiMember

Threads:
    I change my tires when I feel I need to. Sadly this is usually when I see metal threads sticking out of the rubber or my ride is so bumpy I can't sleep while cruising down the road at my usual 90 miles an hour. :D

8. iagirl

iagirlMember

Threads:
    As long as they are not severely weather checked and the tread is fine I don't see any reason to change them. Because of the distance I drive, I'm lucky to get 1-1/2 yrs out of tires. When I didn't drive so far to work I hardly ever bought new tires. I buy good quality tires and find it worth the money.