How Often Do You Check Your Tire Pressure?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by Denis Hard • Jun 30, 2016.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Fact is under-inflated tires will have an effect on fuel economy. A negative effect. So if your tires aren't properly inflated always you'll not only be spending more money on gas but you'll need to buy tires more often because they'll wear out faster.

It is recommended that you check your tires air pressure each time you are at the gas station but many motorists I know don't.

So back to the question: how often do you check your tire pressure?

2. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You say to check tire pressure each time I'm at a gas station? I get a top up on gas every weekend.... Does that mean that I have to check my tire pressure every week? Yeah, of course its safer to check every car part each week including tires but isnt that a bit of a hassle? Besides, my tires have nitrogen and most of the gas stations here don't have nitrogen....

Anyways, I do check my tire pressure once every 3 months.... I dunno if that's a bit too long of an interval....

3. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When we bought our brand new car, the dealer emphasized the tire pressure at 26 psi. Under-inflated means you are dragging your car, said the dealer, and over-inflated means you are going too fast which is not good either. Whenever I would fill up, it is my habit to have the tires checked by the gas station attendant. But fortunately, our car's tires do not vary for a month or so although sometimes it goes down to 25 but that's the lowest. It is a good habit to mind the tires of the car for it will give you a big problem when it goes flat.... worse if it explodes.

4. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    My vehicle lets me know if I need to fill up my tires. It keeps track of them and all I have to do is check my dashboard menu options to see what the pressure of my tires are. If my tires are low it will light up a check light on my dashboard and also tell me which tire is low so that I can pump it up. I do not manually check the tire pressure. They are also checked when I have an oil change every few months.

5. hades_leae

hades_leaeActive Member

Threads:
    When I got my first car, tire pressure was the last thing on my mind, as a matter of fact, it wasn't even on my mind. I was driving around on a flat tire for at least 4 hours before I knew about it.

I had someone from my job come inside and tell me that my tire was flat, I took it to a gas station to get air, and the back of the tire that you can't see was so chewed up, the air was going out of that side while I was putting it in. I kept wondering why the tire would not inflate.

I did however notice it the day before, I felt my car feeling weird as I drove, but I did not decide to check it out and see what the problem was. I'd assume because I did not check it as soon as I felt the problem, it maybe would've just been a flat tire that I could've gotten fixed.

I needed a whole new tire which cost me $110 dollars. I keep a gauge and check my tires every other day. I look at them every time I go to drive the car to make sure they are not flat now.

6. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Totally right - the benefits of keeping your tires properly inflated are huge - particularly as not only does it prolong the life of the tires and improve fuel economy - but more importantly - avoids the possibility of a serious accident - due to tire failure.

In fact as the tires - next to the brakes - are one of the most important safety devices on a car and improper tire pressure - meaning both under inflated and over inflated - can severely compromise braking ability, road grip and general stability - checking tire pressure is something that everyone who drives a vehicle - should do at least once a week.

7. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, we have a low tire right now, so we have got to check them today. Not only does it hurt fuel economy, but it makes the care ride rough and increases the chances of having a blow out. We don't keep up with this nearly good enough!

8. Charon LeFleur

Charon LeFleurNew Member

Threads:
    I pretty much only check my tires if they look visibly low or I take the car in for an oil change. Now this thread has me feeling like I neglect my car LOL! Luckily, I'm due for an oil change this weekend! I actually have a tire gauge at home so maybe I should be a bit more religious about frequently testing.

9. James-M

James-MMember

Threads:
    If you have a daily run then every second time you visit a petrol pump get the tyre pressure checked as tyre pressure machines are present at most of the petrol pumps these days. You will save time even by not going especially for it.

10. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    How I wish I could have a car of my own but it is too far to realize it. Anyway, as I have observed from my friend who has a car, he checks his car tire before going. He sees to it that the tire has enough pressure. When he also arrives home, he does the routine of checking up his car tires pressure.