How Often Do You Do The Laundry?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Theo • Jan 29, 2015.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to do a weekly wash, but now I do a wash once a fortnight. If you have a big family I can understand a weekly wash or maybe twice a week, but some of the flatmates I used to have had strange laundry habits. One would wash her clothes whenever she wanted a few times a week and another would wash her gym kit daily which was very annoying as it's expensive. Her view was it's there so use it, without regard to cost.

2. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I don't have a regular schedule when it comes to washing clothes. I wash them whenever it's necessary, or when I see them piling up in their container. I also consider the weather condition. If it's sunny and the clothes are piling up, I'd sure wash them up. But if it's windy or is about to rain, I'll postpone doing the laundry until the weather is okay.

3. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    If I were still living in a place with a washer and dryer in the unit or on the premises, I'd wash at least weekly. Unfortunately, I have to go to a laundromat, so I try to have two loads worth for each trip.

4. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I actually do my laundry a couple times a week. I don't know how, but I always end up accumulating a lot of laundry. I will do it sometimes weekly if i don't have that many, but I find that I always do. Different from other house chores, doing laundry is actually something that I enjoy doing. I like doing my laundry and ironing the clothes afterwards!

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Like May, the weather can also make a difference, if it's sunny I will take advantage and do things like towels and sheets. I haven't always had a washing machine, and it does change your attitude to laundry and you are more savvy about about really needs to be washed; when it costs $10 for a load you think twice before throwing in a t-shirt you wore for a few hours.

6. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I actually do laundry on a daily basis. Well, actually the towels are done on a daily basis. When it comes to clothing I do it twice a week. As for the towels, I live with three family members and sometimes I feel like we are running a spa or something. Given the amount of towels that have the cleaned and folded on a daily basis. I remember a few years back when our dryer broke down I went around for almost a good week or two having to hang clothes outside. Finally we bought a new dryer and boy was that great investment. You don't realize how important such an appliance is till your without it.

7. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    There are six people in my family: me and my husband, and four children.

I do my kids' laundry every monday, and I can do all of it in 2 loads.
    I do sheets and towels every other Thursday for the entire house and can do all of it in 3 loads.

I do 1 load of my own laundry each week, so I rotate between lights, darks, and underwear.
    My husband does 1 load of his own laundry each week (he doesn't separate).

I am trying very hard not to be a house that ALWAYS has something in the laundry. It is the one chore I like to just get done and be done with for a few days. I also try very hard to wash, dry, fold, and put away immediately. When I'm in a good habit, laundry isn't a burden.

8. Mattenheimer

MattenheimerNew Member

Threads:
    I do not currently have a in-home laundry facility, therefore I must go to the local laundry-mat whenever I need to wash anything. I try to go once a month, but it can be expensive. I try to save money by only washing things that are essential, and keeping my wardrobe limited and clean. Getting a few uses out of jeans and the such is no problem to me as long as they are not visibly dirty. I also always buy my detergent and softener on sale at the local CVS or Walgreens where I usually find the best deals. Look for coupons too, they are common.

9. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    I wash laundry almost daily. I wash whites at least five times each week. All of my towels, wash cloths, and linen are all white cotton.
    I used to use Tide. Now, I use All or Purex laundry detergent. Both of these brands offer the fragrance and dye free liquid detergents that come in a white colored container.

10. Oyes

OyesNew Member

Threads:
    I do laundry every month now. There is not enough time for me these days to do it as usual, which would be every two weeks. However, I do my whites every two-weeks because they are most needed each and every day. I have plenty under-wears that will last me for my major laundry day each month. Most of my whites are used for undershirts so I need them. Doing laundry often, especially as a man can make me feel weary. So I have decided to do it once a month.

11. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Since I don't go out as much as I do anymore, I usually wait about a week and a half or more to wash my clothes. Most of the time I do laundry for my under clothes, socks, shirts, and shorts. I try to conserve as much water, gas, and electricity so I wash and dry my clothes during the morning hours or later at night. It is a luxury to have a washer and dryer machine, because I remember having to hand-wash and hang-dry my clothes when I was a child up to 12 years of age.

12. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    We do laundry once every two weeks AND despite having a washer and dryer at home, we use the laundromat because I can do what would be 2-3 loads worth at home in a big washer and dryer for $6/visit. That's a lot less than the electricity and water to run ours. We have 'easy' clothes though and nothing that has to be washed on a specific cycle. Everything just goes in together.

13. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow, quite a few people do laundry every day or a few times a week. If you have your own machine that's always possible, but doesn't it cost more? Do you really need to wash towels daily?
    Once I didn't have my own machine, it changed my perception of laundry and you do as much in one go to save money and time. Even friends who live in an apartment don't do laundry as often because you have to wait for a machine at times and then haul everything up and down.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For underwear, I do it once per week, but for other types of clothing, I do it when my hamper is full. That means I have nothing to wear anymore, or I don't have any space to store the dirty ones in. :eek: We have an automatic washing machine, and we just wash our own clothes individually.

15. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    Living abroad alone means making use of your time well. I do my laundry during the weekend only. I have enough clothes for 2 weeks and so if ever I missed the laundry time one weekend, I still have some clothes to wear without worrying about it too much. If my schedule really becomes hectic, washing clothes at night becomes necessary.