How often do you get a haircut?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Denis Hard • Jun 12, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Don't tell.

The question is, would you wait for you hair to grow much longer before walking into a barbershop [if you have to]? Some people claim that by stretching out the time they get a haircut from the normal [which could be 3 weeks or four] to double that [8 weeks] they save a substantial amount of money by the end of the year.

Huh?

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Going to the hairdresser every 3 months is very important to me as I have long hair and like to keep it healthy and stylish. But I admit that I procrastinate a lot when it comes to handing over $60 or more for a simple touch up and blow dry. I have been looking for a cheaper hairdresser but haven´t had any luck so far. I guess I will be starting to trim my hair myself in the future.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah I agree with that mindset, I actually wait until my hair becomes unruly before I finally get a haircut, so that means I get to save a bit by delaying the time that I have to have my hair cut. Sometimes I even trim my hair myself if I think that it just needs a little cutting and no "sculpting".

4. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I got my hair cut short (not a pixie cut just a little above my shoulders) a few years ago and I really hated it. Since then I have not had a haircut. It is a little long but I don't know ever since that hair cut I've been hesitant. I'm supposed to get my hair trimmed on Wednesday or Thursday and I'm dreading it.

5. Grapejars

GrapejarsNew Member

Threads:
    Color Treated Hair

I usually stretch about 10 weeks between haircuts instead of 6-8 because I just get it colored at the same time. This makes it easier to schedule, and as a mom of two active teenagers, time is everything! Now my hair is a crazy mess by about week nine, so I put it up a lot around that time, but it saves me money and precious time.

6. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a girl and not very concern with hairstyles so going to the salon is a random activity for me. Sometimes I even let my husband cut my hair not only to save money but to save time and he's really good at it actually. :D

7. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    Maybe once or twice a year. My hair grows fast but, I just like letting it be. When I do get a hair cut, I get a short one, so I don't have to back again too soon. I guess what I do does save money, since I'm not too worried about my hair style.

8. rafaelkarosa

rafaelkarosaBanned

Threads:
    I rarely go to a salon. I go to salon maybe 3 times a year top. I let my hair grow since my hair is very straighten even I am a man. It looks kind of good for me

9. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I have actually never paid to have my hair cut at all, so it saves me money regardless.

I either cut it myself or I have my mom cut it for me when I visit her. My boyfriend has helped me cut it, but it makes him really uncomfortable, so I don't ask him to any more, ha.

10. Ridge

RidgeMember

Threads:
    No where near often enough for me. I try to put it off for as long as possible. I'll go as far as to just cut off any part that is sticking out and looking bad myself.

11. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to cut my hair every 3 or 4 months, but it's been a couple of years that I've gone lazy and have been cutting my hair only twice a year. Also, I have decided to let my hair grow and get longer than usual, which does not happen when I cut every 3 months just because my hairdressers always seem to cut way more than I ask them to!

12. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I usually cut my own hair or have my sister or cousin to do it for me for free unless I wanted a different style which we are not confident to do it ourselves. So I don't always have to spend money to go to a hairdresser.

I also like to have a long hair means I don't even cut it for a whole year or two sometimes.

13. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    Add me to the "cut your own hair" camp. Assuming your particular hair style isn't all that difficult you can likely get away with doing it yourself or ask a partner / family member to help you with it. That in mind, I try to cut my hair at least once a week, but sometimes twice depending on how I feel.

If you're a guy, seriously consider going this route. You pay like $20-40 for the buzzer, save money, and of course get generally the cut you want every time.

14. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Before I get my haircut every after two months. That was almost 2 years ago. Now, I haven't gone to salon since that two years and so for two I haven't had my hair touched by any hair professional to style and to cut it. My hair now is so long and so messy, directionless, but I am planning to have it cut soon probably before the classes start so I would have a new look that would surprise my classmates and friends. My friends are telling me though that I look better with my hair now than when it was short. So I would just have it trim then and not to cut it the way it was used to be cut.

15. Sam Tarly

Sam TarlyMember

Threads:
    I usually go three times a year, I don't believe in spending too much on a simple haircut, right now, I only pay $10 to get my hair done at the local salon and they look great. But if your looking to grow your hair, I would say you should get your hair cut every three months to get rid of split ends and keep your hair healthy.

16. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I go to the salon once every 6 weeks for a cut, highlights and glaze. Lately I have been stretching it to every 7 weeks (it's the summer so I put my hair up a lot anyway) and actually crunched the numbers and saw that it's a nice little savings adding that extra week in.

17. pfaemaster

pfaemasterMember

Threads:
    The last time I had my hair done was at my sister's wedding. That was around four months ago. If I could have my own way I'd have my hair done ever six to eight weeks, but right now I'm lucky to have my hair done one every five to six months. It's a pretty sad situation, but you need to make some sacrifices to save some money.

18. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    I get a haircut about every 2 months. I usually let it get pretty long because I like it that way. I know its time to go in when I start struggling to even get it into a ponytail. Maybe those people making those claims do have more money at the end of the year. Maybe I would too but more than likely, that money I was going to use on a haircut will just need to be spent somewhere else so I might as well use it for its intended purpose. My hair is very thick and has many layers so I don't feel comfortable cutting it myself. That being said, I don't go to fancy salons. The salon chains that charge $10/cut have beauticians that are trained just like the high-end salons. Maybe not in the same places but they all had to get that license before they could touch my head. I know that going that route at least saves me upwards of $20, if not more.

19. Gadzooks

GadzooksMember

Threads:
    I wait until the ends of my hair feel very straw-like, then I'll go get my hair cut. I need to wait a long time between hair cuts because I want my hair to get longer and I feel if I get it trimmed every couple of week or a month, my hair will never get longer. I use Keratin products to keep my hair feeling its best for as long as possible without a trim. They actually work very well. Now all I have to do if my hair feels straw like is put some of the Keratin on it and flat iron it, after that it feels silky smooth.. which means I can go longer and longer without a haircut. I really want my hair longer. :)

20. luigi

luigiMember

Threads:
    Here's an idea to save some extra money: don't go to a salon.

Hair can easily be grown back out, so why not cut it yourself or have a friend (and/or) relative do it? If you don't like the look, try again in a few weeks. I doubt it would turn out to be a complete disaster where you can't walk outside until it grows back, so why not just give it a go?

I used to have my grandmother take me to salons when I was growing up, but once I moved out I never saw a salon again. I am no longer cutting my hair, but when I trim it I have my best friend do it. Snip-snip and it's done. No biggie. Saves me a heck of a lot of money (I assume). For extra added costs, I also dye my own hair which saves me at least $50 to $100 each dye.