How often do you get quotes?

Discussion in Auto Insurance started by happyrocinante • May 9, 2012.

1. happyrocinante

happyrocinanteBanned

Threads:
    I had the same insurance company for about 6 years and my fees just kept going up, but I was too lazy to get the quotes. I finally did and found a better policy for half the price at another company! I was very sorry that I had waited so long.

How often should you shop around for other quotes?

2. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I call around every year or so, but for the past 5 years I can not find anything lower than Esurance for me. I also ask Esurance if there are any new discounts available every month when I call in to pay my bill. You just never know. I recently got an additional discount because I have a paypal acct. Don't ask me why. I just roll with it lol.

3. christina_5179

christina_5179New Member

Threads:
    I've had the same company for 5 years and finally looked at other quotes the other day. I realized that I could be saving about $400 a year if I switched and now I'm in the process of deciding whether it's a good switch or not. My insurance company is a great one and I'd hate to switch to one that isn't just to save money. I'd rather quality service rather than cheap service. Has anyone else had Geico? Are they a reliable company? Thanks!

4. happyrocinante

happyrocinanteBanned

Threads:

That is who I switched to Christina. I was paying twice as much at my old insurance company for worst insurance. I haven't had any need to call Geico yet so I can't tell you if the service is going to be better. I haven't had any problems yet. *Crossing my fingers*

5. rachel1970

rachel1970Active Member

Threads:
    I look at a variety of quotes each time any of my insurances comes up for renewal. I use an insurance broker, who obtains quotes from a huge database of insurance suppliers. But I also do additional research myself, online, to try and secure the best deal I can.

6. leighdu

leighduNew Member

Threads:
    I guess I am in the boat with everyone else, because I've not switched companies in about four years just because my rate is affordable (Geico) and I always get great customer service. The one time I did do comparison shopping, Geico blew the others away, so I signed up and never looked back. It's probably a good idea to do so though as rates change all the time.

7. Andrea4

Andrea4Member

Threads:
    Hi Farrah. Have you ever had to make a claim with Esurance? I am a little scared to switch, even though they are supposed to have cheaper premiums, because my current company has been awesome with the 2 claims I've had with them in the past 5 years. I'm one of those people afraid of change, especially if in the end it doesn't save me time as well as money.

8. jerryskc

jerryskcNew Member

Threads:
    It does seem to be worth shopping around every 2 to 3 years in my experience, even if it is just to keep your current provider "honest". I was with State Farm for many years and I actually switched, primarily because I never heard from my agent unless it was renewal time. I found an agent who was much more proactive and saved me some money. I had some cheaper quotes from online companies, but decided that the customer service and management of my insurance requirements in face to face interactions was worth (to me anyway) up to $100 more in premiums.

Recently, State Farm offered to re-quote me for my business and they turned out to be significantly more expensive than my current provide for the same coverage. So, I think it is definitely worth shopping around occassionally, just to make sure your rates are not creeping up year on year. Brokers are an excellent idea as well, not just for getting you the best rate, but because they should know what level of coverage is appropriate and advise you accordingly.

Claims management is also very important and if you have been happy with your current company, that is a good reason to stay put. I do have a suspicion though, that companies quote a low first year premium that slowly rises over the years, so it is worth a check every now and then.

9. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    I usually get my quotes about once a year. Then I can see if I am still getting the best insurance rate or not. I know Travellers is a great company to deal with and has allowed me to save quite a bit of money over the past year!

10. kla0316@gmail.com

Threads:
    Every year or so, I login to all of the major auto insurance websites, and do a free quote. Right now we are with Geico, and it can NEVER be beat! Progressive is pretty comparable. Geico also has many discounts such as employee, credit union, safe driver, etc. I'm also impressed with how quickly and easily you are able to file a claim right online and track it.

11. Lieutenant

LieutenantMember

Threads:
    I usually shop around after every cycle, which is usually every 6 months. I also use this to go back to my insurance company and then they usually give me a better rate to keep me as a customer. Just keep that in mind, having that extra ammo in your back pocket may allow you a better price from your company.

12. Some1else0

Some1else0Member

Threads:
    I usually look around every year. Most of the time, I either get a better deal, or when I call to cancel they reduce the price on my current rate. I love having the ability to threaten to cancel and get a discount :D. The few dollars every month that you save really add up.

13. AlwaysAMama

AlwaysAMamaActive Member

Threads:
    I need to shop around for a better quote. I am with Progressive right now.

14. Waynefire

WaynefireActive Member

Threads:
    Each time it comes up for renewal I get a quote from a couple of companies. Then I do not have to be concerned about the companies ripping me off with the work they are doing or lack of work they are doing. I know one company was over charging me by 70 bucks a month!

15. novasparker

novasparkerActive Member

Threads:
    I get quotes once every 1-2 years. The insurance industry fluctuates in terms of premium cost often and my home situation and needs change as well. By checking rates every 1-2 years I can mkae sure that i am adequately covered based on my own needs as well as ensuring that I am paying the least amount for that coverage.

16. DontFan

DontFanMember

Threads:
    Oh we moved all our insurance to AAA about 2-3 years with a great saving (about 30%). Now it sounds we definitely need to check again and make sure we are not sleeping at the wheel !! Thanks for all the interesting comments

17. footballtim

footballtimActive Member

Threads:
    I don't bother. In some cases, especially online, if you try to get a quote, you suddenly have companies calling you and emailing you. In other words, the process is not as simple as it looks online, although it should be. Another reason I don't bother is because I have USAA. In my opinion, they are unbeatable. I have been with them for decades.

18. savergrl

savergrlMember

Threads:
    I have Geico and unfortunately had to use my insurance last year. They were great, the bodyshop I chose...not so much. I had no problems with the insurance, they reimbursed me for my carseat that needed to be replaced and I had no problems with them with payment to the shop, etc. I feel like all insurance companies pretty much operate the same. It just depends on what level of coverage you want. Geico is cheapest by far and I have better coverage.

To answer the OP, I shop every 6 months when I pay my premium in full and I also call in and make sure Im getting every discount before I pay.

19. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I just ended up doing the same thing last week. I only shopped for quotes when I moved locations. I just switched auto insurance companies and save myself over $200 / month!! I wish I did sooner, but at least I made the change. Better late than not at all.

20. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    Actually I have had a few claims with them with no problems at all. The first one was like a week after I bought the car and someone hit my front bumper while it was parked. (Yeah I know) But I have had about 4 claims and no problems.