How Often Do You Go Grocery Shopping?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Adeal4u • May 18, 2012.

1. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not a person who likes to eat a lot, so I go grocery shopping once a week. I know some of my other friends are going almost 2-3 times a week. It just depends on how big your family is, and how much they eat. How many trips do you make to your local market?

#1May 18, 2012
    Last edited: May 19, 2012
  2. brittanytruskosky

brittanytruskoskyMember

Threads:
    I make a trip to the store at least twice a week but I am feeding a lot of boys. I'm not complaining though. I just get the coupon's out and make big dinners and sometimes we get leftover's. My boys love spaghetti. The store is almost like a nice little outing of something I do on my own. Got to love it!

3. AlwaysAMama

AlwaysAMamaActive Member

Threads:
    I have 5 kids, so a family of 7 all together and I do have to go more frequently. I usually make 1 big trip every other week and a few small trips in between. Some times my kids eat the heck out of bananas or use a lot of milk so I need to get more. Stocking up on stuff would be smart, but if I try to stock up and buy extra suddenly no one likes bananas and milk that week lol,

4. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    I make a list of what to shop for so I would only buy what's really needed. And I only shop for groceries once a month but I make sure that's in bulk because I don't really like going to the grocery store every now and then. It's far from my place and it's taking a lot of my time.

5. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am single with no kids, but I go to the grocery store at least 4 times per week. It helps that one of my favorite grocery stores is within walking distance. There's also a local farmer's market near me too. I don't like to buy a lot of vegetables at once because I don't want them to go bad. I also buy some type of fish every few days. It helps that I love grocery shopping. ;)

6. ValerieAnne

ValerieAnneMember

Threads:
    I don't eat a lot and only got grocery shopping twice a month. If for some reason I do need something after that I just take a trip down the street and pick it up. Emergency items only really include milk though.

7. Stephanie

StephanieMember

Threads:
    We are a family of 7 and make at least one big trip a week and stop a time or two during the week. Even when I do stock up all the kids seem to gobble everything up in the first 2 days anyway.

8. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I don't even go once a week. I say I go once a week, but it's actually more like once every ten days or so. I really only go to the grocery when I run out of something, and since I'm only shopping for two people, we don't run out of things quickly.

9. bsdgds

bsdgdsActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not a grand shopper.
    I buy little things every other day.
    It gets me out and is good exercise.

10. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I don't have a specific shopping timetable. There are only two of us, and I have a freezer. Also, there is a street market within a couple of miles two or three days a week, so if it's just a few bits of fresh stuff I need, I'll pop to the market. I may go to the supermarket twice in one week, and not at all the next. It suits me to shop as I need it, rather than observe a particular shopping day each week, come hell or high water.

11. mariaandrea

mariaandreaMember

Threads:
    It's me and my two grown kids. We shop 3-4 times per week. I used to do one big trip per week, but since I started walking to the grocery store to take advantage of the exercise (it's a 1.5 mile round trip) I make more trips. It also saves on gas and really makes me think about what I'm buying. I don't make those impulse purchases any more because the more stuff I add to the cart the more stuff I have to carry home.

12. GGGuardian

GGGuardianMember

Threads:
    I personally go grocery shopping every 3-4 days for my family. I can never spend less than 300$ per trip. I guess its just the cost of having 5 people live in the same home.

13. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I am always shopping. I am a couponer so I like to shop at various stores to maximize my deal. I know that some people think this isn't cost effective, but I walk so I don't spend a dime on gas money. It's like I get a work out and get my shopping done all at once.

14. Mystique

MystiqueActive Member

Threads:
    My fiancé and I go out to buy groceries about twice a week. We buy more when we have the kids over for the weekend, which is every other weekend. We stock up items such toiletries, frozen veggies, cereals, sugar, rice, coffee/tea, and biscuits. Depending on what we feel like eating, we would go into town to buy fresh vegetables and fresh meat/seafood. So, yeah, I would say about two to three times a week. We have never used coupons before because coupons are not big here. We do get points for every item that we buy, which the points would go into the card and we can transfer it into cash.

15. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOnActive Member

Threads:
    We keep a notepad on top of the microwave. We buy groceries once a week and if its not on the list then it's not bought. It kind of saves us from buying impulse or junk food purchases when at the grocery store.

16. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I do not do grocery shopping because my mom does it. She does it once a week and twice on rare occasions. We are not a family of eaters so that;s why once a week is already enough. There are only 4 persons in out house and all of use do not eat a lot that;s why my mom could save a lot from food consumption.

17. beckyv1265

beckyv1265Active Member

Threads:
    I have 8 kids so I have to shop often. I go on different days for different specials. I scour the adds and see whats going for cheapest where and I go stock up. I keep a large home pantry so we could go awhile before running out of anything. So I primarily watch to see what we are getting low on and replace my stock. I have certain stores I shop at. I make a list of what we need and then wait for specials. Like Aldi's had a wednesday meat special on Whole chickens. They were 69cents a lb. I went and bought 12 whole chickens and cut them up and repackaged them for the freezer. I often buy things in bulk to save. I make meal plans for the month and make sure I have what I need on hand. I also don't allow free eating. The kids have set meals and snacks each day.

18. adolf

adolfNew Member

Threads:
    I love shopping. My family is not a big, there are only three persons in my family so I have to go grocery shopping twice a month. We all of use do not eat a lot so we can save lots of money from food consumption.

19. katniss

katnissActive Member

Threads:
    We get groceries delivered about once a week with Peapod. We occasionally forget things and have to stop in for a couple items during the week, though. Meal planning really helps us keep the extra trips to a minimum.

20. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    A couple years ago, I only went shopping once a month. I would buy everything up at once and do a ton of cooking early on for the freezer, etc. The only things I'd buy throughout the month would be occasionally a gallon of milk or some fresh fruits/veggies.

Last year, my family situation changed, as did my location, and I went shopping every 3-4 days. It was the type of area where you bought small quantities rather frequently. Now I'm back to shopping about once a week or every 2 weeks. You're right about it depending on family size, too.