How Often Do You Go To The Library?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Zyni • Feb 11, 2015.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you use your local library? It is the best source for free reading materials, but a lot of people I know never go. I used to take the kids when they were little, and I've borrowed many books over the years. I still go occasionally, but not as often as I used to go. My mother and I share books (passing them to each other after reading them), so I usually have something available to read.

Do you use the library?

2. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    I think with the internet available almost anywhere, you can easily find the information that you are looking for. I also go to public libraries during my high school and college days, but I am sure that books there were now old and outdated. Some libraries use their new funds in purchasing new computers connected to the internet rather than buy fresh paperback/hardbound materials.. so nowadays, unless the information you are trying to research is not available on the internet, you go to the library only to check on old books, or spend some quiet time reading the daily newspaper or recent magazine.

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I go to the library to read books thatI know I would never purchase. By seeing the book on a shelf it my peak my interest instead of seeing it on a list. I like to use the computers at the library just to get out the house and be around other people also the library has some really good programs to get involved in for the community.

4. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    I used to go when I was in school...
    These days, not so much.

It's definitely an awesome source of knowledge that most people don't take advantage of tough...
    But then again, for those who do want to read, everything is available online.

5. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    When I was in college, I used to go to the university library all the time. It's like my second home. I just love the quiet atmosphere and the feeling that you are surrounded by a thousands of books. It's euphoric. But right now, I haven't visited any local library in our place since you can barely find one. If I have time, I'll just go to a bookstore and look for some nice paperbacks to buy.

6. Radix24

Radix24Active Member

Threads:
    I have not visited a library in a long time. When I was in university, I frequent our library. I take out books related to my course and then sit to study for hours. Now, I delegate my study needs to the internet. There are a lot of books online. If you can see my profile pic, I have created my persona library...still not that well arranged though.

7. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The last time I went to the public library was close to a decade ago, when I was still college. Living in a third world country like mine, it's normal to encounter deserted libraries (short of becoming haunted). Students and researchers would rather visit university libraries to gather data or read books. What you see in public libraries even to this day are outdated books half-eaten by dust mites. Local governments hardly spend a dime for updating book collections, periodicals and the like. I do hope officials will come around and start thinking of impoverished students more.

8. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't use libraries at all anymore. If I want to own something, I can always buy it on the net, and if I want something to just read and discard, I can download an e-book. And there's no reason to make any research in librareis, because everyone accepts internet sources nowadays.

9. Beautyspin

BeautyspinMember

Threads:
    I remember walking about 5 km to the library on a Sunday when I was about 12. I used to look forward to that trip as I never had access to so many books in my life, ever. It has been about 20 years since I visited a library. I am an avid reader and read about three to four books of fiction and a lot of other technical articles or journals but I get them all on the internet. Do I miss the Library. I do not think so. It was so difficult to search for books there (you have to know the authors name, both the first and last and for a 12 year old that was difficult). No more such issues now.

10. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    When I was school aged, I went to the library often. Now, I don't go at all. It probably is because of the internet, and being able to have information at my fingertips. I miss the library atmosphere. It seemed to encourage study and learning. It was a more focused learning you could enjoy there. With the internet, there are so many distractions throughout.

11. galmal

galmalMember

Threads:
    Yes, I go to the Library at least once a week. This is probably the best way possible to save money, if you enjoy reading. Books have gotten to be so expensive, even paperbacks. And usually, you read them once and then put them on a shelf. With the library, I can get any book I want - if they don't have it, they have an inter-library loan system in place so they can get it from another library. I don't have to worry about whether I'm going to like the book or not - since it's free, I read the first chapter or so and if it doesn't catch my attention, I just set it aside and move on to the next one. There are times when I read 3-4 books a week - there's no way I could do this if I had to pay for them. I don't why anyone would NOT use the library.

12. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I still enjoy going to the library near my home every once in a while. The lady that runs it is really nice, and her taste in reading is similar to mine. Sometimes we chat about what we liked (or didn't like) about certain books.

I don't currently have a printer, so I also go there to use their computers and print stuff off from time to time. You can print things for a small donation (though I never put personal info on public computers).

The big library in the city has some nice programs. My daughter takes the kids there for story time and other activities, and they love it.

13. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I actually HAVE little kids so we go pretty regularly. In the summer time, it is a once a week trip. During the school year, only when items on hold have come in. I still use the library as my first check for everything from books to movies to music, honestly. And because everything is online now, it is pretty easy to put things on hold. I prefer actual books to e-books, but I've even begun using the library for E-books when it is more convenient.

14. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I go in to browse for books maybe once per fortnight. If my printer is playing up, it's a very useful backup not far from my house. It's also a good source of free internet, which can be particularly useful when internet connection issues arise and you urgently need to use it.

15. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    Whenever I am looking for a new book to read, I will always go to my local library rather than buy something to read. I just don't have the money to be able to buy books for myself right now, but I am able to get the best titles for free from my library. And the other good thing about it for me is the fact that the library is a short walk away, which means that I have to get a little bit of exercise in as well. It is about a twenty minute walk each way, so it is definitely something that is beneficial to me.

16. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    When I was in college I usually go to the Library for my research and my assignments. But now I mostly surf the internet to get information needed. But I must say that going to the library has its own advantages. You meet new people and improves reading comprehension.

17. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    When I was in a university, I used to go to the library whenever I have a free time. For me, it is better to stay there and read something than stay in the lobby and do nothing. I do love to read newspapers and magazines and I do my research at the library cause internet at that time was not so famous yet and is not readily accessible. I also prefer to study at the library. I would then select a quite and somewhat isolated corner so I would not be distracted with what I am doing.

18. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    When I was in elementary school, I would always use the library to borrow books because we had this contest called a read-a-thon, in which we were assigned a list of books and we had to read as many as we can and take a test for it. The more books read and tests taken that had a passing mark, the more points we get and eventually we get a medal for it. In college I used it for research purposes and reading journals for reports and case studies. It is still useful nowadays but I don’t go usually anymore, maybe this year that I am getting back to school again that I will be a frequent visitor of the library again.

19. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love my local library and visit about twice a month. I like to read a lot and borrow most of my books from the library. Besides saving money, another advantage to the library is that you can read as many books as you like but don't end up with a house full of them!

20. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    I go twice, once with my daughter and once on my own. I love the piece and quite of the library. Just sitting in my local library reading a book when I have nothing else to do I love doing! It can take me ages to look through them all though. I like reading almost anything. I would have to say the library is one of my favourite places in the world!