How Often Do You Invest in a New Phone?

Discussion in Mobile Apps & Games started by nwitt • Apr 17, 2014.

1. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    I'm curious how often everyone invests in a new phone? I would say that every 2-3 years, I upgrade my phone. I now have the iPhone 5 and plan to have it for another year or so. It works great for my needs and I think the technology is fine, so there is no need for me to "rush" to get the iPhone 6.

How do you handle phone upgrades?

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    It actually varies quite a bit for me. For my first few phones, I upgraded every 18 months because my contract would offer me a free phone for re-signing a 2 year contract.

And then I didn't want to re-sign a full contract because I wasn't sure what my location was going to be like....and then I moved to Canada for a year.... and so then I had the same phone for about 5 years. I bought my most recent phone about a year ago and know that I'll probably keep it for the next 2-3 years, assuming it doesn't break.

3. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've had mine since 2012, a Galaxy S3... I don't plan on investing on a new one anytime soon to be honest. I might do it only next year, unless this phone breaks, is stolen or something tragic like that. I don't have spare money for a phone, and where I live phones are outrageously expensive, and carrier plans to have the phone for cheaper are also so expensive per month. I don't see a reason to have a better phone than mine, it does all it's supposed to do and fills my needs perfectly. So for now I'm happy with it! I'm happy staying with the same phone for around 3 years.

4. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    That is a good way to look at it. I think a lot of people just want the "latest and greatest" thing when it comes to phone and technology. If a phone meets your needs and is working in order, what's the rush to get a new one?

5. AB91000

AB91000Active Member

Threads:
    It depends.

I never really plan to buy a new phone. i buy them when i see one that i like. That could happen 2 months after i buy a phone, or 2 years. It has always varied with me. The phone that i use now has been my only phone for over a year.

There has not been any new phones on the market lately that spark my interest, I am looking forward to the iPhone 6, but that is a long ways away.

6. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Now that I have a smartphone (Samsung Galaxy), I don't plan to buy another one in the near future. This one already has all the functionality I need, so why change it? I usually take good care of my electronics, and considering how much a present generation smartphone costs, I see a bright long future for the one I currently own. I admit, if something ground breaking gets put into the next generation phones, I'll buy another. But the chances for this to be happening are slim.

7. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really have a set time that I invest in a new phone. I got the Iphone when the Android was too insufferable for me to deal with. I may get the 6 if it turns out that a lot of apps need upgrading but it takes a while to earn even in gift cards and I don't know how much Apple will give you for the 5.

8. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Depends more on the circumstance than really needing a new phone. If I see a new phone I like that's coming out soon, I have no issues investing the money into it. Or if my old one just becomes unusable, like the battery surviving less than a day before needing to be charged, then I'll also look for a new phone.

As far as when I've actually gotten a new phone, it's probably been about every 2 years or so when I'll get a new one.

9. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    My phone upgrade totally depends on the usability of my current phone. I don't always rush into stores just because a newer version of the iPhone has graced the market, that would be a waste on my part. If my phone is still adequate enough to do what its designed to do then I just keep until it wears down on itself.

10. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only upgrade my phone when my current phone is no longer working or my contract runs out. I really don't need the latest and the greatest phone.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I just upgrade mine when they break down or get too slow to keep up with current software and apps, so I don't really have any set time periods, but I'd say I probably upgrade and will continue to upgrade at an average of every 4 years, even if it's just based on me getting tired of my phone alone. I usually get tired of looking at the same phone around that amount of time, and the phone also tends to look very used after 4 years, but I still wouldn't upgrade my phone just based on that alone since it's not very practical especially if the device still works fine.

12. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually I can't remember the last time I bought a phone. It was like six or seven years ago. Since then, there are people who feel I need to stay abreast with what's going on in the world so getting a phone as a gift each year is something I've got used to. When those who stop getting me phones as gifts stop doing that, I suppose it will take a long time before I get myself anything new.

13. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    Sitting here and thinking about the phones that I've had, my first one was in grade 6, upgrdaded in grade 9, upgraded in grade 11 & 12 and then again this year. The only pattern I can personally see, is that I invest in a new phone when there's a better phone plan opportunity lol. I switch phone plans like I do with my clothing, though I make sure they're not contracts ^.^'

14. Kazix

KazixMember

Threads:
    I'm not one of those people, who change their phone every year. I used my old LG Android for more than 3 years. It fulfilled all my needs - calling, SMS and GPS signal strength, but unfortunately its hardware got outdated and most new apps were not compatible. So I upgraded to a new Android phone, which will last me at least 2 years (I hope).

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really upgrade my phone unless the one that I'm using gets broken, or I just want to because I saw a 2nd hand one that is cheaper than the brand new one. I don't really try follow the latest trends and gadgets when they come out, rather, I'm the type that waits for them to get old so that they would be sold at a cheaper price.

16. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't purchased a new phone in two years. I know how to handle my phones pretty well that's why I don't need a new phone every single year. However, I do plan to check out the Note 4 when it comes out and if the features are right, I'll probably shift to it next year if I have the money.

An advice, if you just use your phone mainly for calls and texts, you don't need to upgrade constantly. However, if you have more extensive needs like you need to do video calls or upload videos to YouTube or edit websites, you might need to upgrade more frequently too keep up with technology.

17. ghostwheel

ghostwheelMember

Threads:
    I'm of the same mindset as prettycolors.

Mines coming up to the end of the 2 year contract. Usually, I'd renew but this time I think I'll downgrade my to a PAYG tariff - I'm a light user myself and it'll just work out cheaper this way.

I used to renew in the past to get a better model but now with my Samsung S3 (despite a cracked screen), it's still good enough for everyday use and as far as I can see - performs just as well as the newer models. I've gotten use to the crack and it's still viable to use, so I'll probably stick with it for a good while longer.

18. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    I don't do it often unless I badly needed it. There was a time that I need a phone where it has a TV feature [And I still got that phone at home]. This was the time that I need to travel to a remote area to gather information and some seedlings of a herb for the study we are to do. bought that phone just so I can watch news at night.

19. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have a set time but I do often lose my phone and as a result then have to replace it. I would say every 1-2 years I get a new phone. Other than that I will usually upgrade when my current phone is on it's way out or gives up on me. There's never really a time where I would get a new phone just for the sake of it these days. As long as I can make and receive calls I am not that bothered to be honest.

20. brandon0818x

brandon0818xNew Member

Threads:
    I only try to upgrade my phone when there is a great deal that I can take advantage of! I currently have the iPhone 5! I used to have an iPhone 4. At Best Buy, there was a deal to trade it in for $100. Also, the price for the iPhone 5, which was $150, had been discounted for $50. After this, I only had to pay the sales tax!