How often do you see a dentist?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Denis Hard • Apr 7, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Tooth-related problems can be very expensive 'fix' if you don't catch the problems early. Fine, it will cost you a little when you visit your dentist but it does help you avoid spending a lot of money for some fancy tooth surgery if you let a tooth problem go really bad.

Since it saves you money in the long run, it's best to see your dentist often.

Do you do that?

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was just about to post a new thread here about whether people can afford decent dental care when I stumbled across your thread.
    I think it can be very difficult to maintain optimal health of your teeth and gums when you are faced with huge bills that are not covered by any health insurance. Here, where I live, you have to pay for dental treatments yourself. There is some cover but that usually means that you are being put on a waiting list. In an emergency, you still have to pay the major part of the treatment yourself. Also, often you can't chose your dentist, but are forced to see whoever covers your insurance.
    I think, like in every situation in life, prevention is better than cure. Take really good care of your teeth, brush them properly, use dental floss and watch what you put in your mouth.

3. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My teeth are terrible so I go very often to the dentist... Ideally I'd go just once or twice per year, but when I go I usually need to return for a couple of sessions more to fix it all, so in average I'd say minimum 4-5 times per year. Do wash your teeth after every meal and floss the teeth too, this last makes a big difference.

4. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    I'd love to tell you that I have a checkup every year or every 6 months, but I really only go when I'm having pain, I'm very lazy in that aspect, especially since it's a very expensive visit.
    I do take as much care of my teeth on a daily basis as possible, brushing twice a day and using mouthwash in the morning, I need to get used to flossing though, I know that's important but I can't get used to it.

5. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    Honestly, about once a year now. I used to go every 6 months and then sometimes once a year when I had insurance, but I am currently without it. I think it's been about 8 or 9 months since I've been to the dentist currently, so I will call over the summer to make an appointment again :( I also am just very fearful of going to the dentist and always have been.

6. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I always have my check up every six months to the dentist. I have no issues but I just like to check to make sure that my teeth is in perfect condition. Well it is good to make sure that your teeth health is in perfect condition.

7. Blossom

BlossomActive Member

Threads:
    It has been a few years since I've seen a dentist. I grew up eating lots of sugar-filled desserts as well as drinking a lot of soft drinks, which resulted in a lot of cavities. I believe that as long as you're taking care of your teeth by eating properly, as well flossing and brushing, there should not be many dental issues. I have friends who don't eat a lot of sweets who have never had a cavity.

8. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    My teeth are in poor condition unfortunately but with no affordable dental plan available to me, I may visit the dentist once a year. I'd love to go and get some work done but I know after its all said and done, I won't be able to afford the bill. Payments might be possible but not they're over $100 month. I have 3 kids who each have medical needs. They come before I do.

I honestly believe everyone should be offered affordable dental care. It's sad that's it's not readily available now.

9. AB91000

AB91000Active Member

Threads:
    To be honest. I only see my dentist twice a year.

Once every 6 months for routine check-ups. Those Dentist visits can be very expensive. I only go when i have to. I take really good care of my teeth, and i rarely have any issues. So, i really don't have to see the Dentist that much.

I learned that t is better to take care of your teeth at home so you don.t have to spend $1000 to fill a cavity.

10. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    That's very true, I also learned that the hard way unfortunately.
    Spending a couple of bucks on dental floss can save you hundreds in the long run, the best care for your teeth is preventative care.

11. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    I am 24 and haven't seen a dentist since I was 18, right before college. I hate going to the dentist, I think it is totally overpriced to have someone painfully scrape away at your teeth, and I hate how they try to get you to get all these other procedures done so they can empty your wallet. I'm not saying that dentist trips are useless. By all means, we should all go to the dentist. I'm just saying that I hate them! I will bite the bullet this summer however and go.

12. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    Well, as the old saying goes, a stitch in time saves nine. I feel the same thing applies to taking care of your teeth. I know firsthand what can happen if we neglect our teeth. If I had it to do over again, I would definitely have taken better care of mine. I know people who've had their teeth fixed for free by going to a dental school for the procedure. I don't know if that is an option for anyone here. But you only get one set of permanent teeth. Please take care of them.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually see a dentist only when something goes wrong and I feel some sort of discomfort, like when my teeth starts to ache whenever I eat sweets. I don't see a dentist just to be assured that I have no problems, I only see them when I feel some sort of pain. And thankfully, even if I don't get to see a dentist that often, I was told that my teeth are in good shape.

14. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    This goes for me also.

I only go to the dentist when i have to. Those visits are extremely expensive. I make it one of my top priorities to take good care of my teeth. Nobody wants to have cavities, and i am no exception to that rule.

I brush my teeth, and floss after ever meal. Even a snack. I keep a dental case on me at all times. My brother did not take care of his teeth, and i remember the horrible effect it had on him.

I chose to do better.