How often do you shop?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by happyrocinante • May 8, 2012.

1. happyrocinante

happyrocinanteBanned

Threads:
    Do you shop once a week for the deals you see in the ads? Or do you shop less, more? I have found that if I shop every week I spend more because there are always things that end up in my cart that are not on my list.

2. racechick79

racechick79Active Member

Threads:
    I totally agree. I used to go every week, and now I make my husband pick up milk for the kids one week and then I do a full grocery shopping trip every other week. We have so much food that we end up building up that I have realized that it doesn't pay to go so often. Most of the time I end up picking up stuff that isn't even that healthy, just more stuff to snack on because I see it. I have also started making more lists so that I try to stick to them. I never used to use lists and I would buy a ton more stuff!

3. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I shop online about once a week or twice every week depending on how expensive the products are. I can never save any money at all, lol!

4. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I used to shop every morning. Not that I need to buy a lot of things. It's more for the exercise because I walk to the market and back over a distance of about two kilometers in total. Also I usually go to the wet market to get fresh vegetables.

5. goodselfme

goodselfmeMember

Threads:
    I shop as little as possible since I don't like to do any shopping. Most often I go grocery shopping once every two weeks, but it I need something, which is rare, I will go in between that. Now, I have to mention I have a neighbor who has adopted me and brings some meals over, which certainly make a difference in comparison to almost everyone, I suppose. I love the food she cooks and eat the meals I get for two days since she thinks I eat like a horse and I don't.

6. AlwaysAMama

AlwaysAMamaActive Member

Threads:
    I go grocery shopping once every 1-2 weeks. That is a big rip, then I go once or twice in between for stuff I ended up forgetting on my big trip lol. I shop on line at least once a week. I've tried to cut it down but I get too many good deals lol.

7. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I don't have regular shopping habits - I try to only shop when I need to, as I end up spending less that way. I go to the market once a week for my fruit and vegetables, and I suppose I go grocery shopping about once every two weeks. My neighbour goes out almost every day, and she usually asks if I want anything, so that's handy if I run short on basics like bread and milk.

8. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I go shopping when I need to. We live very near to shops etc, like literally a 5 minute walk away from major supermarkets etc. So, I just stock up on what I need and take a walk when I need something. But I always go with a list in order to remain focused otherwise one can get really manipulated into buying things you do not need.

It happened to me in the past, now I make lists.

9. GrandmaHugme

GrandmaHugmeMember

Threads:
    I have to agreed that taking a list to the grocery store can reduce the urge to pick up anything since you can't remember what you need without a list to help you. How I hate to come home and realize I forgot something I really needed.

Far back in the past I would shop twice a week and buy too much junk food. Then I learned how much toxic "stuff" is in our food like additives, preservatives, colorings and especially far too much sugar; so I started thinking only fresh organic food and my health improved plus my food bill decreased.

All the genetically modified "processed" foods that come in a bag, box, bottle, can, jar or jug contain toxins that are making us ill since the nutritional value is far less than the organic product would be. There is sugar is almost everything that is processed / manufactured.

So now I shop mainly in the fresh fruits and vegetable aisle and, when it is available, natural beans or rice and sometimes eggs if it states they are from free range chickens. Why not compare what your grocery bill would be if you bought only organic fresh food as compared to the "processed" packaged food you buy now? Just don't buy anything in a bag, box, bottle, can, jar or jug and you will see the cost reduction.

But the biggest benefit is that your health will improve, your allergies will disappear, and you will reap the natural antibiotics nature provides (that "processed" foods eliminate because it has a bitter taste and was hurting manufacturers profit margin). Now I shop every 5 days in order to keep the freshest possible produce in the fridge and in our stomach. I think you will see it is valuable in more ways than one to both you and your family. (And if there are no containers to put in the trash - box, bag, etc - then the landfills will not be as full and our forests will not be slashed down in order to make those containers.) We need to go back to the way Nature orginally planned for us to thrive.

10. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I used to do my grocery shopping every weekend but it just got too expensive so I try to stick to every other weekend now. I would really like to do it only once a month! I have got much better at menu planning meals that use the same basic ingredients. I have learned that when I shop I can buy fewer ingredients, but in larger quantities, and I can save quite a bit of money this way.

11. violino

violinoMember

Threads:
    I try to do shopping as rare as possible - so once a week would be fine for me. It's because unlike happyrocinante I buy more the more often I am shopping. Every time I buy so many things I didn't want to buy, I didn't actually need, but (!) still I don't have anything to eat for the next day. If I do my shopping once a week there's always something to eat for each day at least ;)

12. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    I actually dont shop often since I dont like to be out in long lines now that I am so far along in my pregnancy but my husband has to have a watchful eye on him all the time. It takes him 2 seconds to fill the cart up with things we dont need. He is very impulsive especially when things say "SALE" and "SPECIAL" or "BOGO"
    I limit my online shopping to just the things I really need and I look up specials and coupons and shop around for different prices just to make sure I am not over paying for it.

13. Zamora91

Zamora91Member

Threads:
    I shop around every 3 weeks or until I completely run out of food which is around every 3 weeks. Other than that, I stay away from grocery stores.

14. iamPIN

iamPINNew Member

Threads:
    My family and I do the groceries every 2 weeks. When we do the groceries, we usually just buy the basics like bread, milk, vegetables, etc. If we have a bigger budget then we'd get the "unnecessary" food like chips, chocolates and the like. That is for the groceries. When it comes to shopping for clothes, i barely do it anymore. When I was still single, I'd shop for myself like at least every other week but when I became a mother, you would not see me inside boutiques anymore. The money that I would be spending on my clothing will be put in my child's savings instead.

15. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I tell myself that I shop once,a week, but actually I shop as often as I run out of things, which is more like once every two weeks.

16. kingusama92

kingusama92Active Member

Threads:
    Every week.

Usually, we go out as a family on the weekend. This is when we do our weekly shopping, what we get depends on the needs of the time. Sometimes, we get nothing while other times we end up buying quite a lot.

Grocery shopping is usually a bi-weekly affair.

17. stefano13

stefano13Member

Threads:
    If you're talking about serious shopping then I only go shopping every couple months. I always make sure to buy t-shirts, at least one pair of jeans, and at least one pair of shoes.

18. katniss

katnissActive Member

Threads:
    I budget $100 a week but that includes everything, pet food and supplies, ckeaning stuff, paper stuff meat, veg and groceries (and all our stuff seems to be much more expensive here than over there). Anything left rolls over in to the next week for bonus items, like if we need more milk or bread, a treat etc. I used to budget some money for an 'allowance' for me each week, but now have dropped that cost from the budget and just use whatever is left over from groceries and petrol.

One thing that I've found really helps with the grocery bill is making meals ahead and freezing them when I find something on sale. For example, if I find a good deal on ground beef, I'll make and freeze meatloaf, meatballs, the filling for shepherd's pie, etc. It saves money and I love it when I just have to pull a meal out of the freezer instead of cooking that night.

19. Kaycee J

Kaycee JActive Member

Threads:
    I used to shop for groceries several times a week because I was pretty disorganized. We are trying to live on less now, so I try to have a menu for the week and just go to the store once that week - less if I can manage it. If I think i need to run to the store for food items, I look first in the cabinets to see if there is something I can pull together without shopping. Staying out of the store as much as possible has become my biggest way to save lately.

20. greenplankton

greenplanktonMember

Threads:
    I shop around for clothes whenever I need replacements to them. I tend not to spend too much on fashionable, trendy, overpriced clothes that may not be able to last in terms of quality.

For groceries, I spend quite alot for my family every week, but those are necessities so they can't be helped.