How often do you tend to your garden?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by akiii123 • Jan 13, 2015.

1. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    Garden is an integral part of any home and I believe one should always take care of them like their own children. It is easy for the garden to become quite overgrown if it is not taken care properly. I usually tend to them every alternative day.

2. JulianWilliams

JulianWilliamsMember

Threads:
    I don't really have a garden, but I do have a bunch of flowers on my balcony. Personally, I find tending to them to be very therapeutic so I actually enjoy doing it, thus I do it 2-3 times a week even if sometimes there's nothing they really need, I just wipe the dust off of my plants' leaves as it seems having them clean makes them happier. I'd love to have a proper garden one day, but for now I live in an apartment so what I currently have is about as much as I can have. Anyway, I prefer pink flowers for some reason, even though I'm a guy, so you'd expect me to like carnivorous plants :D

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on a number of factors:

How big is the garden?
    Is it a vegetable or flower garden?
    When do you have some free time?

Those three will suffice.

IMO, depending on what you have growing in your garden, the amount of time you spend tending it will vary. For a vegetable garden, it's best you only take a look once in a week and even then maybe all you'll need to do is uproot some weeds if there are any that have sprouted.

4. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    I think 1 to 2 times a week is generally sufficient, though as stated above it does depend on the exact nature of the garden. I generally check in on mine once during the week and once over the weekend and it works out well enough :)

5. mizrael

mizraelMember

Threads:
    I am so nostalgic for my garden. I used to have one growing up as a child, my dad and I used to do a lot of work together in her vegetable garden, we grew tomatoes, potatoes, onions, garlic, squash, spinach and cabbage, he passed away in 2010 and I stopped gardening after that, it's just not the same, now it seems like the weeds has taken over everything. I think I'll make 2015 the summer to garden again, I shouldn't have stopped, It really is field therapeutic.

6. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a lazy gardener and I used raised beds with weed block under them, which minimizes my weeding needs. Some of my plants, like the potatoes, I do nothing to after the first few weeks. I do the potatoes in a stack of tires so every time I add a tire and dirt, the old weeds just get buried because they're never as tall as the potato plants. The other items, I just weed about once a week and only really get the 'big' weeds that I think are actively threatening my food plants.

7. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I'm use to patrol my flower garden every other day due to the squirrels. They dig and eat the roots of some of my plants sometimes the whole flower. I don't have to do much during winter though but come Spring, Summer and Fall I'm out there :mad:.