How often do you use your credit card?

Discussion in Credit Cards started by AskJeeves • Oct 14, 2013.

1. AskJeeves

AskJeevesMember

Threads:
    How often do you guys use your credit card? I for one use my credit card everywhere I go. Just because at every single place I shop, I get a little bit of cash back. Obviously if it is something small, like less than $10, then I will you some cash. Otherwise for bigger purchases I tend to use a credit card for the 1 or 2 percent that I do get. Do you guys use your credit cards everywhere you go? Are you the kind of people who like to use debit cards and cash to avoid the credit?

2. Treighsie

TreighsieActive Member

Threads:
    I never use my credit card, unless it's a big purchase or something like my kids' dentist apt (which is over $100) As much as I would enjoy the cash back, I need to have the money taken out right away or else I would over spend.

3. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do not own a credit card because I was raised to not spend money you do not have. I think a credit card can be useful for some people but it is not for me, I wouldn't like to be in debt and I have never been in debt in my life. I do have a Visa debit card but I make sure I never go overdrawn on it, I overdrew once by mistake.

4. Collin1000

Collin1000Member

Threads:
    Every single purchase everywhere I go every day. Anything that isn't put on my credit card is a waste because I don't get cash back rewards. I pay my balance in full every month, and the cash back rewards are awesome to have.

5. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I used to have a credit card just to pay for bills and buy groceries. I usually used it twice a month for paying bills and buying things because I had about $500 limit. I don't have a credit card anymore because I mainly use my debt card and sometimes cash to buy stuff or pay bills. I think having a credit card isn't a good thing, well, at least to me.

6. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitectActive Member

Threads:
    I used my credit card for a lot of shopping a while back but have moved to using a debit card now. Much better using money you have than using what you might have.

7. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I use it every week pretty much. I only have one credit card and I don't like to carry around loose cash so therefore my credit card is being used a lot during the week. Whether it is food or clothing pieces my credit card handles the charges every time. I love having one credit card in real.

8. sulayman

sulaymanBanned

Threads:
    I used to love using my credit card until a few months ago i got into some financial strain and that was it for me. I decided to change my ways and avoid as much dept as possible. I try to manage and maintain my budgets with as little use of credit cards as possible. I find this to be liberating and i am a more focused spender.

9. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    I use it more than I should. I will use it for anything really. A lot of times I will just charge everything to my card and pay it off later.

10. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I never was enthusiast of having a credit card because I used to listen to my father complaining about his own.

However when I was offered to apply for the first and get it approved instantly, I went insane and began to apply for as many others as I could.

I ended up owning 30 different credit cards that turned me insane and almost led me to bankruptcy. This was over 6 years ago.

Today I'm able to apply again for a credit card, but you can bet I won't. I learned my lesson.

11. amy005

amy005Active Member

Threads:
    I probably use my main credit card once a week and then I have a couple store credit cards I sometimes use when there are really good online deals going on. I don't think having too many credit cards or even just one that you use too often is ever a good thing, but if you are able to pay off most of the balance every month that it can be a great tool to use that helps someone built credit and gain cash back.

12. erronousRogue

erronousRogueMember

Threads:
    I usually pay online, so it's either that or my PayPal account. I try to pay in cash whenever I'm at local stores though, since I find it to be way more convenient, and not every smaller one supports cards.

13. brutal37138

brutal37138Member

Threads:
    I've fallen into credit card debt, but still have my cards...By have them, I mean they're locked in my house where its very difficult for me to use them for anything. Oh, how I wish I never had those credit cards to begin with...

14. themarting

themartingActive Member

Threads:
    You guys are looking at it the wrong way.

I DO use my credit card for most of my purchases. However, I don't purchase anything I don't have the money for. I keep a spending account, bills account and gas account open at my bank, and used to use them accordingly before i got the credit card. Now, everything gets paid from the credit card only IF i have the money. At the end of every day, i make payments from each bank account to the credit card to cover every single transaction. This way, my balance stays low, i earn rewards, and im not in over my head.

The credit card doesnt hate me because my bills stay paid, and they make money from merchant fees. Theyd probably love me more if i was paying them interest but im sure they prefer to have their money on a regular basis than to wonder if theyll get it at all

15. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    Same happened to me but eventually I lost them all. Since this was long time ago, I might try to get a new card again, but now it will be harder and I wouldn't like to fall in the same mistake again.

If could get just one this time, I would mostly use it to supply my weekly shopping list.

16. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hate credit cards, but they are so useful. I use mine all the time. but only if I already have the money to replace it.. I will never be in debt.

17. steffi30

steffi30New Member

Threads:
    I only have one and I try to only use it for emergencies or if something unexpected comes up and I don't have cash to pay it. Otherwise, I don't use it. I don't want to own a lot of debt if I can help it.

18. Meowmie

MeowmieMember

Threads:
    I put absolutely everything I can on my credit card, but I always pay it in full each month so I pay no interest or other charges, but I get rewards. I've been told that credit card companies call people like me 'deadbeats' You'd think they'd be happy I always pay my bill!:p

19. Batiatus

BatiatusMember

Threads:
    I don't have a credit card:) I only have a debit card and I use it every day. My wife has a credit card and we only use it when we have to buy something that is worth more money and we can't afford it to buy it at once.

20. yossup

yossupMember

Threads:
    Right now, I'm at the credit building stage so I only use it once or twice a month, just to make sure i'm spending enough to improve my credit score.