How Old Is The Oldest Piece Of Clothing You Own?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Scarlet • Jun 6, 2015.

1. Scarlet

ScarletMember

Threads:
    How old is the oldest piece of clothing that you own...that you still wear?

My oldest pair of boots are around 20 years old and still going strong, I only wear them a couple of times a year though.

I have a wool winter coat that is only just in need of replacing that is 10 years old. It did not look great towards the end of this year though, but I'm still happy it lasted that long. Whats great about it is that when I bought it I got it for half price.

When I was younger and had more money, I replaced my clothes twice a year, I cannot imagine doing that now!

2. Jannnnjan

JannnnjanActive Member

Threads:
    I have a timeless black wool coat that I wear for funerals in the winter that must be over 20 years old. If I bought one today of the same quality it would cost me a lot of money so I will never get rid of it.
    I also have an interview jacket that must be over 10 years old. It is a classic style so has not gone out of fashion and I'm reluctant to throw it.
    My wardrobe also has clothes I probably won't wear again but I can't part with. Clothes I paid a lot for to go to a wedding for example. Worn once and sitting in my wardrobe. I need to have a clear out really.

3. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a skirt that I made around 20 years ago, from an old pair of my brothers jeans. So all in all, the denim must be at least 25 years old. I still wear it today.

4. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    My hiking boots are around 15 years old and still look practically new. I only hike during the summer when I have days off, so they do not come out of the closet often. Nobody could ever tell that they were 15 years old. I also have a light green jacket that is about 13 years old and looks good with some of my summer clothes. I do not like to throw clothes away if they are pieces that do not really go out of style.

5. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I have a pair of boots that are probably around 20 years old as well. I can’t put an exact date on them because they originally belonged to my cousin, but that’s my best guess. I’ve been wearing them since high school, and in fact I wear them more often now.

I just wore a skirt that’s about 12 years old as well. I often wear the skirt and boots together, in fact. I’m pretty sure that skirt is the oldest garment in my closet, but I could be wrong. There are definitely a couple of things from that time still knocking about in there.

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a colorful Guatemalan ikat hoodie that I wore when I was a teen. It's about 25 years old and I still throw it on when it gets cold.

7. Scarlet

ScarletMember

Threads:
    15 years! I thought I was doing well with my pair that lasted 6 years! They were worn nearly everyday though come rain or shine. Which brand are your boots?

8. keytcee

keytceeMember

Threads:
    Whoa! Those are some long lasting pieces of clothing you guys have there!

As for me, I think the oldest piece I have is only around 10 years old and it's something I don't always use. But I guess I don't have long lasting clothes because most of my clothes before aren't of good quality so I always throw them out or give them away after a few years. In the next 20 years maybe I'd have clothes from now that I can say has been with me in all those years and still looks pretty new since I have better quality clothes now, haha!

9. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I still have some clothes from when I was 12, and yes, I still wear them. I have 2 summer church dresses from that year I wore one two weeks ago. I'm 26 by the way. They were both made by my grandmother, so they are very good quality and haven't worn out.
    I also have 3 wool sweaters from when I was 14-15 that I still wear in the winter.

10. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've got a few pairs of pants which are about 10 years old. They were gifts given to me but I never wore them much because the person who bought them thought cream was my favorite color so she got me several pairs of cream pants. Since I hardly ever wear them they are still as good as new.

11. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    My pink jacket from Aeropostal that I've had since like...late 8th grade/beginning of high school? And I'm out of college now haha. It's so hard to find some good jackets that are durable and looks decent, all while keeping you relatively warm.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My oldest clothes are around 15 to 16 years old now. I think if you wash them carefully then they won't fade and will still look good as new. I suggest just using washing machine though, since handwash wears out the fabric. I also have a pair of sandals that's 15 years old now and still going strong.

13. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I do not have many old clothes. As I follow this discussion, I am amazed that so many people have been able to keep clothes for so many years. It must just be my mindset, because I do not have anything over three years old, with the exception of my wedding dress; which is nearly twelve years old. I do like getting fresh and new, and after a few years, I get bored with clothes.