How Old Is Your Microwave?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by MrsJones • Feb 15, 2015.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    We had to replace our microwave. It just stopped working. Luckily, we had one left by my mother as backup but we will be buying a newer model soon. I read online that the life of a microwave is usually 10 years and as long as there is nothing broken and it continues to do the job for you there is no need to really get a new one.

How old is your microwave? If it is still performing well are you contemplating buying a new one just the same?

2. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    My microwave is around three years old. While they are really durable appliances I recommend getting a radiation checker to inspect your microwave every year or so, in case there is any potentially harmful leakage from your microwave.

3. blueeyes

blueeyesActive Member

Threads:
    To be honest I'm not sure how old our microwave is because it came with the house we are renting. My last microwave lasted me 7 years and then I gave it to a friend because I no longer needed it and its still working over a year later. I'm not sure what the life span is.

4. sll-rambleon

sll-rambleonMember

Threads:
    Everyone keeps saying that microwaves should be replaced regularly because of the radiation risks and other possible problems. However I believe this to be an hoax made up by the people who sell those damn things in order to boost their sales. I know I sound like a crazy conspiracy theorist but it has happened in the past and it is still happening. Toothpaste companies convinced you to use more paste when brushing your teeth than you really need.
    My microwave is at least 7 y o and working perfectly. I don't plan to replace it any time soon unless it stops working.

5. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    We just bought a new microwave last year. Like the OP we used our old microwave for years till it finally broke down and we had no choice but to get a new one. Thats the way it is in my home we don't buy something unless its necessary after its breaks down. I am still getting use to this new microwave and its features such as the fact that the tray has to be perfectly aligned or it rattles but I have to say that even with the few issues its a good reliable microwave. I hope we get as much years out of it as we did our previous model.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our microwave was replaced about 8 years ago when the kitchen was rredone and the house was put on the market to be sold, just before the real estate market crashed. The microwave works good, the handle need to be replaced but that is not a big problem.

7. franpj

franpjNew Member

Threads:
    I have a tendency to hang onto things as long as I can. My coffee pot is a Norelco drip coffee maker that was manufactured in 1976. I use it every day and shudder when I think that someday I'll have to replace it with a "disposable" one. However, my microwave is only a year old, because the GE I'd had before became unsafe to use when the paint started to peel on the door jamb and caused sparking.
    Went nuts trying to find another like it because it had all the features I used and loved. Got stuck with the one I'm using now.
    I grind my teeth every time I have to use it because it just doesn't work the same.
    (What? All microwaves work the same, you dork. This one just isn't the right color or size, you big baby)

8. steph7h

steph7hActive Member

Threads:
    We've had our microwave for 8 & 1/2 years now, but it started having major problems about 6 months ago. We have "express" buttons for minutes 1-6, and used to have a 30 second feature plus other settings. For some reason, the control panel just died, and now the only buttons that work are the "express" settings. We can't even use the cancel button to clear the time if we open the door before the time runs out. We have to un-plug it to re-set the timer. Defrost is also not an option now because none of the buttons work to access that menu. It's really annoying, but we've been dealing with it for as long as we can before buying a new one, which will be in the next few months thankfully! I really liked it until it stopped working.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    We recently just replaced our old microwave and our current one is probably around a year old. The old one lasted around a decade though and maybe even longer. I think they are built to last and probably even more so if you get a particularly good brand. I don't really know what else a more expensive microwave would give in terms of advantage though aside from being more durable.

10. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Some microwaves were big enough that you cook a meal in it. I have a microwave cookbook which came with an old one I donated. I did cook a pretty size meatloaf in it and it turned out really well. The one we have now is basically for reheats or microwaveable meals, popcorn not big enough for cooking.

11. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    My microwave is almost 5 years old. Around 5 years ago i bought it clearance sale and i do not expect it to last for a long time. But i am happy that the microwave has lasted for this long. I have provided an excellent service. I totally love it and cook almost everything in it. I think it was one of the best equipment that i have got through a sales clearance.

12. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    My microwave is about five years old. It was cheap and cheerful and wasn't a branded name either. It still works well enough and I can't see any point in replacing it.

13. worldmachine

worldmachineActive Member

Threads:
    My microwave is nineteen years old and still works perfectly. My grandfather bought it for me in 1996, three months before he died, it was the last thing he ever bought me. It was manufactured by Sharp and the only microwave i have ever owned, i intend to keep it running as long as i can.

I don't know if that is some kind of record, it has been used almost daily since 1996 and has never developed a single fault.

14. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    This is the longest working microwave that I have heard of. Kudos to Sharp on that model! Have you ever thought to write the company?

15. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    Our microwave is already 8 years old, yet it is still works perfectly fine. We bought a new one and and we thought of giving our old microwave to my parents. We ended up giving the new microwave to our parents. We kept the old microwave because it has a sentimental value, durable and has withstood the test of time.

16. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sharp microwaves are fantastic! My parents had one for around 20 years themselves and only replaced it because they won a new applicance in a prize draw. Personally though, I haven't owned a microwave oven for around 10 years. They can be a real boon to busy people but I'm just not keen on the way in which they cook things.

17. worldmachine

worldmachineActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the idea i should write to Sharp and tell them about the endurance of their product. Their microwaves are well designed, easy to use and great value for money as well as being extremely durable.

18. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    @worldmachine@worldmachine. I say go for it. Tell them exactly what you posted here today. I'm sure they would appreciate the props.

19. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh man. At least 8 years, I would imagine. It's been so long that I don't even remember when we got it anymore.. The years fly by way too quick. ;_;

20. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    Oh no, you just remind me to remember how old my microwave is, and I think it is almost 16 years old already. It is still working great, but every time I went to the Thrift Stores, I always keep my eyes on a decent microwave oven for a cheap price just for emergency.