How One Determines That He/she Clothes Is Old?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Oyes • Jan 31, 2015.

?

What 1 main factor determines that your clothes is Old ? (Poll)

Poll closed Aug 31, 2015.
  1. # of wears you had given it

18.2%
  2. the lenght of time you have it

27.3%
  3. how it looks on you overtime

45.5%
  4. The current trend that exists made it obsolete

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Others opinion on it may influence you for a change

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. after the first wear it is old

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. all of the above

9.1%
  1. Oyes

OyesNew Member

Threads:
    The question about "What do you do with your old clothes," was asked in this forum. However, I want to run a poll in following up on such question to get a better understanding for things persons do with their old clothes: "What main factor determines that one clothes is old, and it is now time to do something with them?
    One deeming his/her clothes is old, is relative in all sense. Because what you may consider old, may not be old for me.

2. Danii

DaniiMember

Threads:
    I put "how it looks on you overtime", but only cause the option I wanted wasn't there.

It depends how the clothes looks because they can get nappy or raggy and that is what matters to me.

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The other one for me would be my loss of interest in the item, irregardless of how old it is.

4. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not really one to follow high fashion so I consider my clothes to be old when they start to show signs of wear. I've got clothes from over 10 years ago that I still wear as they are still in good condition.

5. Danii

DaniiMember

Threads:
    This is exactly what I mean. It's like when you buy clothes from the thrift shop and they're still in great condition. Quality matters a lot.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Old clothes to me are when there are holes in them or the hems have become frayed. It is about quality to me and I have items that are decades old but in perfect condition, so I don't consider them old, but more vintage.

7. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on if the clothes are still good. If it's full of holes and tears and has stains all over, it probably needs to be chucked. Most of my clothes are basics, so they never really go out of style, so I'm not sure if that applies. My father has had ties since the 90's though, and it is REALLY apparent how old they are. He upgraded recently though, and got rid of the really old ones, haha.

8. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    The look of the clothes speaks for its age. Although clothes might age a little longer, once that it did, you will not be able to hide. It's gonna persist and when it did, that's the time that your clothes is already old and that probably it already calls for a change. If no physical look of wearing off, I mean by its color, then you could check on the material. If the material is already starting to fall out and it's torn immediately, then you clothes have already probably aged.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think if the color is faded or if the jeans have a lot of frayed edges, then that is physically old. If the clothing is not in fashion anymore, then that is old in terms of style and it must be stored in a box or given away.

10. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I believe that you can judge an old clothes from the wrinkles formed upon it and also the fading of colour. I believe it is best to try and change the clothes when they get too old. Wearing such old clothes can look really bad.

11. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    If I let fashion trends dominate me, then I would have nothing to wear. As long as you take good care of your clothing, they can last for years. If I have an item I just love, I end up wearing it until it literally falls apart on me and even then I hate to get rid of it. And then I've had other pieces of really fashionable clothing sit in my closet unworn, because I didn't have an occasion to wear them.

12. kwoodard902

kwoodard902New Member

Threads:
    I go through my clothes about once a year. I do not always throw something away. I have some items that i have literally had since high school(8 years ago). No, they are not holey or worn out. It depends on how many times I wear it, how old it is, and most importantly what does it look like? I have nine dresses that I only wear to church. If I wear a different one every Sunday, I only wear them about fives times a year. Why throw them out, they're not old?

13. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    These are my criteria for deeming my clothes "old" and ready for disposing:
    1. Severely faded (e.g. from black, it's turned dark grey)
    2. Excessive tatters (can't be sewn together anymore)
    3. Extreme looseness
    4. Unbearable tightness
    5. More than two years old
    I usually make an exception if the clothes still look new or presentable after two years of constant wearing.

14. Goat of Departure

Goat of DepartureActive Member

Threads:
    I think clothes are old when they look old. It doesn't matter how many times you wear it or how long you have it as long as it looks fairly new or okay it's not old. If you're talking about 'old' in the sense of time then yes option 2 would be the right answer, but I think it really depends on how the clothing actually looks.

15. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    Overall, it depends on how it looks on you. For example, if you wear a really old T-shirt and you look dirty in it even when the shirt is actually newly laundered, then I think it's safe to conclude that that shirt is already old enough to dispose of. Clothes should make you look nice, and anything that's shabby should just be worn at home or weeded out of your closet.

16. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    I judge the oldness of regular and casual-wear clothes such as shirts, pants, and shorts by how it looks. Some clothes fray faster than others and some get holes. Definitely these would look "old" regardless of the length of time I owned them.
    Trendy clothes get outdated fast, while not necessarily old, they would look silly to be worn on regular occasions except for costume events.

17. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    If I feel and look good in it, I wear it. When I was in college my mom had given me a really sexy jumpsuit she used to wear in her disco days and I loved it. I love vintage, one of a kind items of clothing, but anything that is stretched out, stained, has holes or doesn't fit right I won't wear.

18. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think it differs with every piece of cloths. For example, a black dress made with good material would probably last forever, whereas something made out of cotton may be better to be retired after a year or two. Also, modern trends factor into it as well, since if you wear something that's too dated it might feel to out of place.