How organized are you when you go Grocery Shopping?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Zyni • Sep 28, 2014.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's easy to spend more on food shopping than we intended to spend in a given week if we aren't careful. I've caught myself running in "to get one thing" only to come out with things I really didn't need. Usually, I keep from over-buying, but we all have weak moments. So now, I try to make detailed grocery lists, including listing which store I intend to use for each item. That way, I don't forget that one little thing and need to make an extra (often more costly) trip back to the grocery store.

2. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    I am usually very organised when I go shopping as I have to stick to a budget. One way I do this is to plan meals in advance and then only buy what I need. The problem starts when I take my children to the store with me and then organisation goes out of the window.

3. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    Being organized is the key to stay on track and within your budget when shopping. I prepare 100% ahead of time and have my list and coupons fully ready before I even step foot in the store. I try as hard as possible to not deviate from my original shopping list ( oh, and did I mention I try and leave my husband and kids at home... they are impulse buyers for sure!! :) Doing this may mean a little bit of prep time before going to the grocery store but it will save you a lot in the end!!!

Hope this helps!

Danyel :)

4. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I generally make only 2 shopping trips for groceries per week, to two different stores. I always take a list of the specific items I need for the week, then I walk through the isles checking for discounts on things I use frequently so that I can take advantage of the deals and stock up at a good price. I would say I am fairly organized in my grocery shopping but I am also pretty flexible when it comes to sales. In the end I save money by stocking up on things when they are on sale, even if it means I spend quite a bit in one week because later on I will have a week where I spend much less because I already have things in storage.

5. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    Pretty organized. I first check the coupon matchup sites to see what is on sale. Then I pull/print out my coupons. I print out the list of what's on sale. Then I go to the store and buy only the things that are on sale that I have coupons for. If there is something I absolutely have to have that isn't on sale (milk, bread), I go to ALDIs and get it. That's about it!

6. Nevi

NeviNew Member

Threads:
    I'm well organized, I always make a list first on what we needed to buy. We do not overspend above our budget limit and we do not buy unnecessary things.

7. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    When I was younger, I kept an accordion-style coupon keeper that I updated (cutting, filing, placing coupons about to expire near the front) weekly. However, as I got older, I began to slack off. It started when I threw my beloved keeper in the dumpster and I tried to retrieve it with zero success but a lot of unwanted attention. Then I hated going to the stores near me that took coupons, so over time...I stopped being organized.

The good side is that it gives me the opportunity to try new things, like

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Whenever I use something and see that I'll be needing more of it, into my notebook it goes. At the end of the week I'll compile a list of groceries I'll need, take a look at the pantry once more and make any necessary additions.

When I'm shopping I normally buy only what is on my shopping list. In fact, I've been using one list for so long that I know exactly what I need for the week and could shop without the list.

9. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow. Now that is what I call organized. I do always have a few things on the list that I would remember no matter what, since I buy them every week, but I couldn't do my whole list that way. Sounds like your shopping is quick and efficient, which is often the best way to avoid over-spending. When I take my time, looking at everything, I tend to spend more.

10. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I used to be super organized. I was cooking for 6+ people on a very, very low budget and managed all of the shopping and cooking....including needing healthy lunches to send with the kids every day. I didn't do crazy couponing, but did a lot of bulk shopping and cooking to cut costs, so I had to make sure I stayed organized and got everything I needed at once or I would've wasted food instead.

SummerFall09893.

11. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I am very organised, and this allows me to get my budget down very low. I always put aside a small amount for the odd treat here or there, but generally I also stick to my pre prepared list. However I often go shopping twice per week, so it can vary a bit depending on what I feel like cooking, and if I have a bit spare in my budget to get a couple of luxury items.

12. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Not really, but I always bring a list with me of the items that I would buy in the grocery. I do it not just to save money, but also to save time. When I have the list, I am able to go straightaway to the items that I have to take into my carts. The list directs my attention to those items, so it saves me from the apparent temptations you get from wandering around thinking what I am supposed to buy when I don't have my grocery list with me.

13. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know what I need and what I don't and will stock up on things if they are on special, but generally I don't buy on impulse. I went shopping with a friend once and she was just putting things in her trolley without looking and then taking things out later. She is organized, but as has Crohns so she has to buy certain foods and has no choice, though she still needs to learn about prices and comparing them! She was surprised generic fries could taste so good. I told her a potato is a potato!

14. Goat of Departure

Goat of DepartureActive Member

Threads:
    Since I'm always on a tight budget when it comes to groceries it's mandatory for me to have a list ready all the times. I tend to either spend too much or buy too many when it comes to food that I really want. I always tend to stick with how many I would need to sustain me for a month since for the most part I do my shopping once a month or until I ran out of supplies.