How powerful was the first computer you ever owned?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Mafdet • Feb 28, 2014.

1. Mafdet

MafdetMember

Threads:
    Hello everybody!

I was talking to a friend recently about the first time we owned a computer and what were its specs. It's interesting to look back and see how much technology has evolved in the past 15 years. What were the specs of your first computer? Do you remember?

2. firestarian

firestarianMember

Threads:
    First Computer I ever purchased was a Dell Xps L502x (Still using it actually), It has 6 gb or ram, an Nvidia 550x graphics card (I think). An i5 intel processor, it wasn't a great computer but I got it for $600 and it was my first computer I ever worked for and actually earned. It is crazy how much technology has changed, you are right, makes me feel like I am getting old.

3. ghostwheel

ghostwheelMember

Threads:
    First computer was a ZX Spectrum - went at a blazing speed of 3.5 MHz and had a massive 48k of memory :D.

As a kid I've always been fascinated with computers ever since my parents bought one for the family - even started my own programming club at 8yrs old in school. They called it the golden age of computers back in the 80s and you'd have a cottage industry of programmers starting up there own companies from those humble beginnings (think Codemasters)

Technology marches at incredible speeds and I'm keen to see where we're heading in the near future (everyday use augmented reality? Quantum computing? Artificial Intelligence? Technological Singularity even?)

4. Carles

CarlesMember

Threads:
    All I remember about my first computer was that it ran Windows 95 and we used it so much that it could no longer save anything in the end.

5. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    We used to have an old HP, back when computers weren't black but were default all that yucky grey/off-white colour. I remember trying to play flash games and lagging, not even being able to surf the internet led our family to upgrade. To its credit it never broke though.

6. crucider

cruciderNew Member

Threads:
    The fastest computer I own is the computer that I'm currently using which is my desktop PC. It has an Intel Core i5 which is 4-cores, a Raedon HD 5870, and 8 gigs of RAM. It's a very nice PC, it's able to run many games on the highest quality and able to run applications that I need very well.

7. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    The first computer I owned: The Apple ][+ . A whopping 48K of ram (made with 24 2K chips) expandable to 64k. Processor speed? No clue. Hard Drive? Huh? Dual 360K 5.25" floppy drives. 4 colour graphics with a whopping 280 x 192 pixel resolution. It even had a speaker for the alert bell.

8. marmunmrhundun

marmunmrhundunBanned

Threads:
    The first computer I owned was pretty powerful. I mean at first it ran very smooth and it had a lot of space. Not to mention it was on the best software back then. It even still runs to this day. It was a great desktop computer. I don't know when I will be throwing this old thing out.

9. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I had an eMachines at least 8 or 9 years ago. I still remember the specs to some degree.
    AMD Athlon x2 3.2ghz
    512 MB ram
    GeForce 4 something

Wasn't worth it. The graphics card was pretty terrible and I was trying to play Half-Life 2.

10. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    My first computer ran Windows Dos, it was a 386 computer that used floppy disks A and B. The flappy ones and the smaller thicker ones. I had a few games on it like Prince of Persia and Wolfenstein 3D. It was sold off after the internal battery died.

11. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Oh my first computer wasn't great at all. It wasn't crazy old, but we got an HP with Windows ME. HP and Windows ME are both horrible on their own, but combined, it was just awful. I had to reformat it constantly.

12. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I remember owning a Pentium II desktop which was really fast at the time but now we have some serious hardware out there. All I know is that in future we shall have more great computers than what we have now. All we can do is wait and see.