How Safe Is It To Shop Online With Your Credit Cards Online These Days?

Discussion in Credit Cards started by marshaljohn10 • May 29, 2015.

1. marshaljohn10

marshaljohn10New Member

Threads:
    Hackers are having a field trip these days with their cyber attacks and we don’t know the next big corporation that will be hacked. What is sure is that these hackers are getting smarter and better and big corporations are doing all they can to beef up their internet security.

That being said, how safe do you think it is to let go of our credit card information these days because I am scared of releasing sensitive information like this again.

2. radzi

radziActive Member

Threads:
    I think it is quite safe if you use PayPal as the service or banking company that will back you up and support you. I think you can say that PayPal or eBay are fairly safe because the sellers don't really get to see your credit card information but the companies get to process it through a secure way, otherwise the whole trading system in the world would collapse because today it relies a lot on online trading.

3. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I only buy from sites that I'm comfortable with and I tend to use PayPal as well. There are always going to be scam sites out there but I try to use the more established firms as far as I can. I might be missing out on some of the best opportunities but at the moment I feel that I'm also avoiding some of the worst excesses in terms of risk.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    These days nothing can be 100% safe and you have to face that. I use my card in the local garage and shop and found the cashiers were skimming my card as the company called me up and knew the exact time the card number was used when I was asleep in bed or not even in the country.

You have to be careful, but all transactions in person or on the internet carry some risks. Companies will refund if fraud occurs and you haven't been negligent.

5. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    It's very safe. I use mine all the time. Never once had a problem. Yes it happens, but most of the time the CC company will reverse the charges especially if you catch it quickly. I check my account daily anyways too.
    CC fraud can happen anywhere, not just when you buy stuff online. If you go to a store then your information in in their database.
    Being afraid of buying online because of credit card fraud is like being afraid of walking to the store with money because you could get robbed. Sure people get robbed, anything of value can be stolen. Doesn't mean we stop trading with each other.

6. radzi

radziActive Member

Threads:
    I would also add that the certified shops and licensed ones that use a genuine credit card service, it is processed through a new security program that no one can even know your information unless it's the bank of course. I think after all, do not worry shopping in well known and genuine places, but always check where you buy from and who you buy from, as well as where you process your credit card information.

7. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I rarely use my bank debit card or bank account information online. The only time I do that is when I'm paying certain utility accounts, because some of them require bank account information. Otherwise, like most everyone else here, I use PayPal, because I trust that they are a buffer between potential thieves and me. I have had a couple of issues in the past, and PayPal has conducted investigations, and I've always been satisfied with the result.

8. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Eh, I'm actually quite comfortable with it. I only use my credit card (not debit card) and go through reputable companies like PayPal, Amazon, etc. I'm fairly confident that even if a hacker gets a hold of my card, I can file a fraud claim and get the money back, so it doesn't make me nervous usually.

9. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not scared of using my card, but more cautious as I have been the victim of numerous attempts to use my card fraudulently. One person tried to buy a Mercedes with my card and the card company rang me up to ask. To be honest, the phone call can be a worry as they call sometimes as the transaction is occurring.

Getting the money back can be a hassle if you have never dealt with this situation, as it remains pending on your card until it is proven the transaction is a fraudulent one. It's a pain, but it doesn't stop me using it, but am more careful where use it.

10. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I think it is safe, because with my credit card company I know that I have insurance in case anything goes wrong with my order, which means that I can get the money back if I ever need it. I have only ever had to try this once, when an item didn't turn up and the seller suddenly went AWOL, and my credit card company were brilliant about it. So I would never hesitate before using it online again, because it was so easy to sort the problem out, so I wouldn't be worried about being scammed or anything like that.

11. cucein

cuceinNew Member

Threads:
    While you should keep informed about potential scams and be careful with your money, the risk with using reputable sites and companies is rather minimal.
    Yes, if you're trying to save a bit of money by trying out lesser known sites there's definitely a risk of hacking and malignant charges. That's why using bigger companies is worth the costs - even if they get successfully attacked, it's basically impossible to bring the whole system down. And there's always enough backup capital for them to afford compensation.
    On top of all that, there are government policies in place to protect and insure against mass fraud.
    Now, if you encounter fraud from an individual, small scale scam, that might be harder to deal with. But you should be safe so long as you stick to big companies.

12. ProNine

ProNineMember

Threads:
    Mainly stick to well known websites, for example, amazon and ebay. Use paypal for your payments as it adds an extra layer of security. In some cases, you will have to be buy from lesser known websites, just make sure you research a little before you buy and you should be fine.

13. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I actually think that shopping online with a credit or debit card is much safer than it used to be, and that is simply because of the fact that many websites are stepping up their hacker prevention features. At the same time, that doesn't mean that we still shouldn't be cautious. Hackers will find new ways to invade your computer and get your details.

14. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most online stores these days will not allow someone to pay for anything with a credit card without the security code. Unless you are on a phishing website and you have to always ensure you are on the right site before entering your credit card details, shopping online with your credit card is relatively safe.

15. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    Many websites out there today are scams, with that being said, I typically only purchase things on websites if they give that paypal option (unless its amazon). I think that it is worth paying an extra dollar or 2 to know that you are safe from hackers and people taking your money. Its better with paypal because of all their buyer protections, so you don't have to be frightened.

16. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Many of the websites have protections in place. I only purchase at websites that are mainstream brand sites. I am pretty sure a major company website would not be unethical. This doesn't mean they couldn't be hit by scammers that would steal your information however. I think purchasing online, is taking a chance, but there can be data breaches in brick and mortar stores too...like Target for instance.

17. Vicenta

VicentaMember

Threads:
    I can understand your worries on sites being hacked and what not. I am the same way which is why I use paypal I just add my card to my paypal that way none of my cards information it just shows my paypals email. So if you are worried I would use paypal and just use sites that accept paypal that way you don't have to put any of your information online.

18. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on where you intend to shop online. If you shop through legitimate channels, stores with safe payment procedures, then I doubt you'd be a victim of hacking and other forms of online deceit. The good thing about shopping online is that it's convenient and you need not expend physical energy (particularly if you're always on-the-go). However, you have to be extra careful with the shops you transact business with. Search forums and see if there are reports of fraudulence and the like. If others can attest to the authenticity of a particular online store, then all the better.

19. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:Shopping anywhere is safe. Just because some nuts decided to break laws, who by the way always get caught, did some lawlessness doesn't mean that it isn't safe to shop. It's always safe to shop anywhere you'd like to shop. Relax and know that it's safe to shop. Just use your common sense as always, check when necessary with BBB and enjoy your life. If you need help

for information too.

20. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think it's fairly safer these days but as with most things nothing is really completely safe. I think as long as you pick the companies you give your information to then you are less likely to be affected but luck also plays a big factor in this. Even the bigger sites get hacked once in a while so I don't think there really is a 100% secure service and all you can is to try and pick more wisely and hope for the best.