How to Choose and Apply Mascara

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by petersixplus • May 10, 2013.

1. petersixplus

petersixplusNew Member

Threads:
    Mascara is an amazing invention and is considered basic to any kind of makeup application. When we apply mascara, visions of longer, thicker lashes sometimes come into view and then we get carried away and decide to apply more and more. Unfortunately, applying too much mascara increases the chances that the mascara will flake, chip, or smear, and that the lashes will appear hard and spiked. Also, the eyelashes can take only so much weight; excess weight can break them. The problem with curling lashes is that it can bend the lashes into a severe angle that can look unnatural; and, although it can make them more noticeable (sometimes in an odd sort of way), it can also end up breaking them and pulling them out. If you're gungho on doing this, curl lashes only before you apply mascara, never after, or you will end up with broken, strangely bent lashes.

best lashcurlers are the ones with a spongetip section where the eyelashes are squeezed for protection. Squeeze gently with even pressure. Hold for a few seconds as you "walk" the curler along the length of the eyelashes, and release slowly.

Mascara comes in two basic types: waterproof and watersoluble. Mascaras should not smudge, flake, or clump, and it is not your fault if they do. As is true for any aspect of the cosmetics industry, price does not tell you anything about how well a mascara performs. drugstore mascaras can be as good as more expensive department store brands, and sometimes even better.

of where you buy your mascara, you might find that upon opening it, it already seems dried up. This is a recurring problem in the cosmetics world. Take it back immediately and get a refund or another tube.

mascaras: The problem with some watersoluble mascaras is that they don't come off all that easily with water, even though they should. However, a great watersoluble mascara can go on beautifully and wash away easily. Again, there are many superior mascaras at the drugstorethis is not an area where you need to splurge!

mascaras: These cause problems because to remove them you usually need to pull and wipe at the eyes, which can pull out lashes. Waterproof mascara is fine for occasional use, but wearing it every day can cause more headaches in the long run.

drawback is that although most waterproof mascaras hold up well under water, they can still break down and smear when they meet the oil from your skin or emollients from your moisturizer or foundation. Do not make the mistake of thinking that waterproof means smearproof.

those times when you do need waterproof mascara, the most effective way to remove it is with a siliconebased makeup remover that won't leave a greasy film on the skin. To be as gentle as possible, soak a cotton pad with the remover and lightly press and hold this against your lashes (make sure the eye is closed) for a few seconds. This helps loosen the mascara from lashes. Using very light pressure, move the pad down over the lashes and then back and forth, paying close attention not to pull or tug the skin. You can perform this step before or after cleansing.

2. kerri

kerriNew Member

Threads:
    Did you know that most people have eyelash mites? These little creatures reside on the eyelash and feed on your sebaceous excretions and dead skin cells. At night, they mate and the female will return to the follicle to lay up to 25 eggs!

The scientific name for this mite is Demodex folliculorum, or 'demodicid'. The mite measures less than 0.4 mm long, and can be found on the nose, forehead, cheek, and chin, and often in the roots of your eyelashes. The mites have tiny claws, and needlelike mouthparts for eating skin cells in these locations. The more cosmetics you use, particularly mascara, the more you are likely a host to. Not removing your make up at night, and washing your face well, will result in a heavy infestation.

Thankfully, they don't have an anus so they can't "poop" on your face, if that makes you feel any better.

Your topic of mascara reminded me of advice my mother gave me: replace mascara every six months due to parasitic infestation. The mites love your mascara wand and your face sponges. Replace these items accordingly. Use cosmetics sparingly, and wash that pretty little face every night! Use a baby shampoo or other non-irritating cleanser that is safe for the eyes to keep numbers down.

3. amy005

amy005Active Member

Threads:

I totally agree with you that it doesn't really matter how much you spend when it comes to mascara! Many times drug store brands can be better. I have been using a Revlon mascara lately that I have been pretty happy with and doesn't really clump. I then got an urban decay mascara which retails for about $22. It came a "Beauty" bag with various other items. Anyway, this mascara ended up making my lashes clump a ton and they seemed "crunchy" even after one coat! EEW. What kind of mascara do you use?

4. MaraJadeC

MaraJadeCMember

Threads:
    Hi! I have found the mascaras from Maybelline are really good! They come in smaller sizes as well so you don't have to worry about throwing away some product when you decide to replace it every 6 months. :)

5. brittanyt28

brittanyt28Member

Threads:
    I love maybelline too. That is the only mascara I like and can afford most of the time. They have so many different kinds now that it can get confusing but I still love them. I've been using rocket volume. They had a sale at my local walmart so I bought a couple of them. They have worked the best for me so far.

Mascara is one of the greatest inventions!

6. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    This is amazing and really shocking information as well.
    Unfortunately people who try to save money by using their mascara for years and years forget that safety comes first,
    I always use a clarosonic to wash my face and I wash all my brushes every single week,
    It really does make a difference in the quality of each application.

7. Steph741

Steph741New Member

Threads:
    I always use the Maybelline mascara! I think it's called Great Lash, the original one with the pink and green on it. I don't know why but I will not use any other mascara! It's my favorite! I try not to apply too much because I want it to look natural. I don't put more than two coats of mascara on my lashes. I make them more noticeable by separating out the lashes to define them a little bit and then I'm done!

8. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had heard about the little mites, but it always scares me regardless! Thankfully I wash my face twice a day and remove my makeup every night. Hopefully I don't have (that many) mites...... :eek:
    I love Maybelline mascaras, but lately I have been using higher end ones - I don't buy them per say, but I have been getting deluxe sample sizes as gifts way too often. My favorites are the Film Noir by Hourglass, They're Real by Benefit and High Impact by Clinique.