How To Find Great Deals

Discussion in Shopping Discussion started by Denis Hard • Jul 4, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Unless you have scripts disabled on your browser then many websites will track you all over the net. That's why you'll end up seeing numerous ads which look strikingly similar. Should you click on any of them ads then you'll be seeing more and more of them in future in case you are logged into your email accounts [if you use Google that is] because your searches are saved and you'll get the same search results most of the time when you use the same keywords to find something.

To avoid seeing the sites whose ads you've been seeing in your search results when hunting for great deals, clear your browser history, clear cookies, etc and log out of your Google accounts. This will aid in your search for great deals because the search engine won't favor any sites [based on your browsing habits].

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Amazon targets you when search on their site. I have been re-target by both Ebad Amazon on products I looked at when I was on their sites. I don't really like the sites following me like that. I will have to follow your instructions to stop the targeting.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I suspect that's why some microtask jobs get people 'searching' for keywords, not to see their google ranking, but so their ads pop up on all these users screens. It is annoying and that's the price you pay for doing a microtask search which is why I'm not so fond of them.

I do get reminded of what I looked for, but while I know some sites depend on ads, some are useful. I don't use that many sites with ads generally and if a site has too many I do leave.

4. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    This is good to know, thank you for the help and advice. I often find it quite worrying to think about just how much our PCs can remember from the things that we do, and how that can go on to affect our internet browsing. For example when I am booking train tickets, if I view the page and then go back to it later, it will be more expensive, because the website now "knows" that I want to buy the tickets, and that I am likely to pay any price that I can get for them!

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I agree. I do this from time to time as well but recently I have to admit I have been feeling good about just letting my cookies pile up as it not only gives me the best personal results in ads but also in my searches and history in some sites. It takes me way less time to find good videos and just general content overall ever since I stopped clearing my cookies, and as for the tracking, I really don't mind since I get tailored results in return. It still is nice to get some fresh ones though after a while of just seeing the same things over and over again.