How To Get Rid Of Cigarette Smell

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by chiofthenorns • May 11, 2015.

1. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    We recently bought a 1992 Jeep for a good price. Sadly, the interior smells like an ashtray because the former owner used to smoke a lot. Is there any way to get rid of this smell? We are planning to change the seat covers, but we are afraid that this might not be enough. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated!

TIA!!

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A friend and I did a clothes swap once and the clothes I got out of it were just AWFUL. Smelled almost exactly like a smoked in car only worse, I kid you not.. like 10 smoked in cars lol. I couldn't donate them and I didn't want to throw them away if I could fix them. I threw them in the wash with a bunch of baking soda and the regular soap, then air dried them. I actually didn't have to do any more than that, I was amazed. The other thing that worked for me another time was an enzyme cleaner.. they work wonders on pretty much every smell. I honestly have no idea about a car though. I guess I would spray it down with enzyme, sprinkle tons of baking soda on everything and air it out lol. These are the best things I've ever done, but a car makes things tricky. but then, I don't drive and my husband doesn't smoke in his car.. I'm sure others here have had the same issue and can help. Good luck..

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It will be hard, all you can do is scrub it with white vinegar everywhere which should neutralize the smell. Then you will have to use air fresheners and maybe scented mats or other items in the car.

Maybe spray the inside with Febreeze or something similar and air it as much as you can?

4. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is strange, because even though I am a smoker, you can't smell the smoke on my clothes or in my hair. It is strange. Maybe it is because I don't smoke as much as a lot of other people. Just the thought of smoking twenty a day sounds nauseating. I smoke more five a day, and they are small roll-ups.

Febreeze might get rid of the smell, since it is supposed to actually remove the offensive odor. But like a lot of other commercials, that claim is an out and out lie. Febreeze does nothing of the sort.

5. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd recommend replacing the cloth headliner on the ceiling of the Jeep, which is a $20 DIY project because fabric stores sell that same fabric in whatever color. (I'm a proud 90s Jeep owner, so I know it all) Scrub the seats with a powerful odor-killing solution (preferably homemade) and then consider sticking seat covers of them. Get the floors of the Jeep shampooed and then replace the cabin air filter (located within the dash, probably requires a mechanic or grunt work).

If that doesn't work (it all should work in combination), then give up because the smell won't go away.

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would definitely recommend cleaning it with a mix of baking soda and apple cider vinegar. This mix seems to get rid of even the most horrible of smells. I would then follow that up with a generous amount of febreeeze. It might also be an idea to get one of those car air fresheners that you can hang in the car. I honestly think this will work like a dream :) Good luck!

7. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree. I detest the stuff. I used to buy it many years ago and it really just covers it up.. I could still smell the odour beneath it and then add to that the smell of the febreeze which was disgusting itself lol.

8. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We once went on holiday, and ended up staying in rented accommodation, which smelled absolutely terrible. We could not believe how bad the accommodation smelled. But we sighed in relief when we remembered that we had brought Febreeze with us. We sprayed the whole can empty in one sitting, and it didn't do a single thing. As you said above, the foul odor added to the Febreeze - depending on which fragrance you have - makes the air smell ten times worse. Never come across a product that lies so blatantly like that before. It is crazy.

9. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    I had this problem once when we bought a car from Japan, what we did was to simply wipe the inside with detergent and other cleaning chemicals, and then,put in an air-freshener to kill the odor. And even if you don't clean the car, or when you do, the odor remains- either way, the odor will be gone in a matter of weeks, because naturally, odors do not last forever.

10. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    First, send your jeep to the carwash. You can specify to the operators that you want the interior cleaned as well (change the seat covers after that). If after having your car washed thoroughly, the smell remains, then perhaps you should purchase an organic odor remover. This product is usually available in hardware stores and packed in spray bottles. You can splash it on every nook and cranny of your jeep and wait until it dries off. Depending on how strong it is, the odor remover will significantly lessen the smell.

11. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It certainly seems as though there are plenty of suggestions here. Personally, I'd go for an interior valet and a seat cover change too. That should do it.

12. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    I would probably recommend baking soda because it is well known as a cleaner and a deodorizer. If the carpeting and seating is a light color you might be able to get away with sprinkling it all over and then scrubbing it in with a dry brush. However, if you have dark carpeting or upholstery I would not do that because it can lighten up the color a bit. In that case, I think I would just make baking soda potpourri bags and place them in several areas inside the vehicle after cleaning it thoroughly.

13. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't know how well this works as I've never had to test it myself but a tip that my friend has always told me was to put a bar of detergent soap under the seat for a few days and I don't really know what the science of that is but I have to assume it works since whenever I bring in some clothing in my room that was just fresh from the wash and is only partially dry, by the next day my room always smells like detergent, even with just one or two clothing items in this state.

14. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This could actually work! I've also noticed that clean washing smells divine from the washing detergent as well as the fabric softener. Wherever I store my clean washing, the room always has a lovely fragrance :) I've also noticed that our bathroom has nice lingering scent given off by the bar of soap I always have standing on the basin. I don't often use it, so it's mainly just standing there, and I can smell the scent in the bathroom. I don't know if it's strong enough to get rid of cigarette smoke, but it's certainly worth a shot :)