How to save beer money

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Denis Hard • Jun 23, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Let's face the facts. If you've been in a bar before, you know quite well that once you've had a few bottles, you could end up buying more than you previously planned to.

The best way to avoid overspending once you've budgeted is by meeting with your drinking buddies in one of their apartments/homes [or yours], get your booze delivered to you and enjoy yourselves. This could prevent you from going overboard because you'll guzzle only what's available.

2. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Me and my friends are doing exactly what you describe from time to time. We either buy glass bottled beer from the super-market, a lot cheaper than the one we buy in bars, or we buy big pet bottles (2.5 liters). If, after we finish drinking, we still want to go out and dance, we end up spending almost nothing since we already had our fill. Yeah, I know, we're acting like fully grown teenagers :D

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    But come on, you're saving money whilst enjoying yourselves!

In fact, it's a lot safer because should you guys get too drunk to drive home, you can sleep right where you are.

4. ragtimeannie

ragtimeannieActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with this completely! It's so much better to do your drinkin' at home. My husband and I do this most every weekend.

Reminds me of one of my favorite songs...

[video=youtube;a5e9rJwrqaA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5e9rJwrqaA[/video]

Now, I haven't ripped out the floor and put in sawdust yet, but you've got to admit this is one hell of a plan! :D

5. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    Definitely! Beers in my town are a lot cheaper than in any other town so when my husband, daughter, and I go back to the village we will make sure to stop by and buy a few carton of beers on the way back to our own house few days later :D

We can have a drink anytime we want at home. Not just cheaper, but also safer. And there is no closing time :D Unlike bars, you have to leave at certain time even if you feel like not leaving at all and want to keep drinking and have fun with your friends :D

6. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    I do like to drink at home, but sometimes it's nice to go out and have drinks. My boyfriend and I aren't the type of people that can drink beer after beer, so we never have beer at our place because we'd never finish it! If we want beer, we will walk up to the bar near our apartment and get a couple. Any other time, we just drink liquor at home, which saves a lot because you get a lot more "drunk" for your money.

7. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    No, no, no. I enjoy going out. That's important to me for many many reasons. It's hard to meet more people when you localize yourself in familiar settings. I like to learn more about people and places and things and strangers. So, I love a good night out. Have I spent way to much? Sure. Though it's more a matter of MY personal self control. If you really have such a difficult time leave the cards at home and only take a certain amount of cash. That way you really do not have an option.

8. pfaemaster

pfaemasterMember

Threads:
    I agree with OP on this matter. There is nothing more I enjoy than sitting home at drinking with a few close friends. Not only is the booze significantly cheaper, I feel that I can have a better time in the comfort of my home. I don't have to worry about blowing my budget, getting a table (on busy days or happy hour) nor a bad ambiance. It is much more relaxing than having to worry about the bill or try to talk to your friends over some low rate music. Furthermore, I can play the music I like at home.

But, there are times where I can't control the situation, and have to go to a bar or club to drink. The worst things that can happen is over-drinking or splitting the bill. The first one I can control. If I have a budget, I have enough self-control to make sure that I don't blow it. But, sometimes, the bill gets split. This is what I hate the most. Especially for someone who lives pay-check to pay-check.

My best way to handle the situation is consider the type of people you are going out with and judge the situation.

9. Tiara Murphy

Tiara MurphyNew Member

Threads:
    My husband and I drink at home usually. We just don't much enjoy going out. When we do, we typically "pregame" by drinking beforehand and then only take so much cash so that we don't overspend. When you're out, you're out.

10. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I enjoy going out from time to time. The best way for me to ensure I don't over spend is to take cash and only as much cash as I plan on spending. I agree that after a few drinks it is easy to open up the wallet and pull out the credit card or debit card. If you are prone to doing this, leave them at home.

As far as getting home, people will tend to try to drive home from a house party as frequently as they will a bar. The best thing to do is to leave the car at home wherever you go. It is easier to make these decisions when one is sober rather than waiting until it is too late and our thought process is muddled.

11. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Do it at home with your friends just like what you are planning. Or if you want to do it in a bar, get there when it's close to its closing time. In that way, you'd really be able to limit your drinking because they wouldn't sell you because once they start closing.

12. mercantile519

mercantile519Member

Threads:
    I drink at home most of the time, because I don't live near any bars that serve the beers that I really enjoy. But I still go out and have a drink or two once in a while. It's an inexpensive way to socialize, depending on what you drink and where you go.

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    An added bonus of drinking at home with friends is that you don't have to deal with creepy guys or obnoxious drunk girls. It's nice to not have to worry about drunk driving or any of the downsides of a night out.
    If you get too drunk at home, you can go to bed and no one will try to take advantage of you.