How To Train For A 5K

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by ExpertAdvice • Sep 17, 2014.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Are you training for a 5K race? Or do you have you ever thought about entering to participate in a marathon?

My thing is, I've always wanted to participate, and I have in the past, but as of lately, I haven't been in "the best of shape", so I was wondering exactly how I could train for an event like this (because frankly, in the past, things like these kinda "came naturally", y'know, we were all "young and fit", but things have changed a bit as time has progressed! If you know what I mean, lol).

So, I did a little research, and I found some good answers:

Train in A Group, so that they encourage you to NEVER QUIT!

Keep Track of Your Progress, so that you don't hit a Plateau, and Keep Increasing The Amount You Do, and Level of Difficulty

Get The Right Running Shoes, so that you Avoid Things like Shin-Splints and

Don't Do Overkill, so that your Body Reacts Negatively To The "Sudden Pressure"

I wanna know if these tips are the right ones and also, if you have any other tips that you'd like to share with me?

I've been training, and I'm getting ready for a 5K that my church is organizing for this October! Help me out!

2. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    I ran my first 5K early this year. I can't recommend the Couch to 5K program highly enough. I used an app on my phone, and it was perfect. I started training for it in January, and moved outside when the snow melted in April. I had never run at all before this year except when playing sports, so the program fit me perfectly.

You'll be amazed at how quickly your body adapts to the different run times. One week you'll feel like you're dying to run 3 minutes without a break, and a couple of weeks late you're running for 20 minutes without a problem! It's wonderful. I've since run a half marathon and I'm training for my first triathlon next summer.

3. Frogurt

FrogurtMember

Threads:
    5 km is pretty easy to achieve, it is really about dedication. I would recommend writing down your goals, telling everybody you know about your goals, and then tracking your progress. It is really helpful to have rewards included in your goals.

Assuming you have limited fitness and good health at the moment, then something like the following:

Goals
    Week 1. Start walking 5 km every day. (reward: buy new running shoes)
    Week 2. Alternate between 1 km jog and 1 km walk. (reward: start listening to music during your run)
    Week 3. Start to jog entire 5 km. (reward: your favourite meal at the end of the week)
    Week 4. Alternate between 1 km run and 1 km jog. (reward: download a new song to listen to)
    Week 5. Start to run entire 5 km. (reward: go out to the cinemas with friends)
    Week 6. Alternate between 1 km faster run and 1 km slower run. (reward: go for a swim at the beach)
    Week 7. Have a week off.
    Week 8. Set a time to achieve for your 5 km run each week and see if you can beat it. (reward: sign up to a running club!)

Post your results on facebook/twitter, tell all your family and friends, and that will keep you accountable.

Good luck.

4. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Wow! This is absolutely awesome! I will definitely have to give it a solid try! And it really does appear as though it's a program that I'm gonna get "addicted to", and which I'll start using on the regular! I really wasn't aware that such an App existed (but maybe I should have figured so by now, based on the fact that there's basically an App for everything! lol).
    I think it's great that the bulk of one's "getting ready" doesn't all have to be done outside. At times, when I get home from work or studies, the sun has already gone down, and I might not feel as safe going out to run or jog for my workout, so it's really awesome to know that there are programs out there that are geared toward those who don't have the luxury of working outside, even for a time.
    Thanks so much for the suggestion! I'm gonna apply it!

5. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Training in a group is FANTASTIC idea for those of you who find it difficult to motivate yourself on your own. There are lots of running groups and clubs dotted around, and if there isn't then it is a great opportunity for you to start one. :)

I run 5k and 10k races regularly and I'm even about to release my training guides for them. :)

6. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    Training in a group is great for motivation, but I find it hard to find others that run at the same pace I do. I live in an extremely rural area, and both my wife and I are "runners" but run at drastically different speeds. One thing that I don't find enjoyable is running at someone else's pace. I run about 9 Minute Miles, and my wife is between 11-12 minutes. If I tried to slow down and run at her pace all the time, I wouldn't enjoy running anymore. I'd rather just crank the tunes and do my own thing.

7. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    Training with a friend or a group of friends is a great motivation tool. You will keep telling each other to keep going. You guys will also help motivate each other by bringing out a competitive side of yourselves and try to oust the other person's time.

8. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    When considering entering one of these competition, it always helps to be a natural. What I mean is having the body and endurance to run distance first. As far as training, one would have to gradually work their way up to going the distance. Being very fit to maintain the long haul makes things easier as well. The lighter you are, the easier it is to carry your weight. I would start by jogging a mile around a track and work your way up to 5 miles while recording your time. The more consistent you are, the faster you will get used to running this distance.

9. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think you need to be a natural by any means. I'm naturally athletic, but I'm the farthest thing from a natural runner there is and this year I've competed in a couple of races and I'm running distances I never would have thought possible. We all start somewhere so don't let the fact that you've never done it before mean that you can't.

10. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Having a buddy in any workout scenario is always a great tool to push yourself. Even though your friends, you'll always subconsciously want to do better than him/her and that'll improve the quality of your workouts.

Something that has really helped me get myself in a good workout mentality was not to change everything about my life and diet in one day. I eased into working out and gradually started making my diet better. It helped my body process the changes in a healthy way and made it WAY easier to maintain eating healthy and working out. So ease into it and don't be too discouraged if you can't run 10 miles your first day!

11. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Don't think about it first. Just keep on running to the extent of your capacity. Repeat it and inch by inch push a little harder and then when it's easy or bearable for you already to participate in a 5k run, join. If you are not used to running and you are outright participating in a 5k run, you might make it but it would be traumatizing for you that by the next time, you would probably not join in such event again. You have to prepare yourself both mentally and physically gradually. Don't surprise and shock yourself. Consequence will be dire.

12. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As mentioned above, if you are looking for a cost free way of training for a 5k the COUCH TO 5k app is great!! It goes step by step with you training you to build your resistance and breath so that little by little you are able to increase your running time. I have tried it before but to be honest I didn't get far because I'm lazy!! But I can tell it truly helps if you take it seriously!! I'm actually thinking of downloading it again and giving it another shot.