"How To" websites can save you money

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Denis Hard • May 12, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Once in a while we may encounter problems which may require an expert's opinion to fix it. Let's take an example of a computer crashing abruptly. Instead of spending cash before knowing what the problem is you could look through how to websites, identify the problem and see if repairing the machine would be worth it and if it's something minor you can fix it yourself.

Just yesterday, my PC couldn't boot up. I scoured the internet for information and found out that the cmos battery had been drained and once I replaced it, the computer was back in business.

Anyone else ever saved money by using info on "how to" websites.

2. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I taught myself swimming through instructions online. It saved me a lot of money I would have used to pay for an instructor. Now I know how, and I knew it all because of the internet. The money that I only spent was for the training aids and swimming pool fee.

3. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    The emergence of "how to" guides are really a blessing to a lot of people. Aside from saving money, you can also save time. Because instead of finding out things on your own, these "how to" guides can give you tips and tricks to do it faster and easier. It really saves you time from going through the trial and error phase. :)

4. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    yep. Its what I mostly do. I don';t just buy things right away without sorting it.
    The usual example is also my computer which crashed just last month, I end up just buying thermal paste for the processor to cool down. I found out, this computer will actually shut itself down when temperature is higher than usual.

5. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    In recent, I have found eHow to be a blessing. The writing is to the point and most of the cited resource links are solid. There are others also but eHow is my favorite.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have gone to "How to Sites" all the time. Right now my computer is dead with out much hope to get it going again, windows will not install. But I have looked for how to repair the washing machine, how to cook cookies using cake frosting, one of my favorites. It is a real blessing to have these sites to go to get the information and training you need.

7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I love using online help instead of hiring people to do various tasks for me.

For example, I saved a bunch by repairing my own phone. I could've spent $400 on a new phone....or even just $100 for someone to repair it.... but instead, I spent $30 on a new screen and an hour of my time.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I have saved myself a lot of money and trouble by fixing my PC by myself instead of bringing it into a shop this way. Usually if something goes wrong I'll try a few methods I can find online and only if I run out of options will I resort to paying someone to fix it. What I try to avoid, though, is causing more damage, but usually I can determine that line well enough so I am somewhat confident in trying to fix my PC or laptop during these situations. I guess I have saved myself hundreds of dollars doing that at this point.

9. venusflytrap

venusflytrapMember

Threads:
    I completely agree with you. How many times have there been when I just googled for answers to various questions, such as how to fix my washing machine, how to repair my bike, how to clean my mattress with natural ingredients, how to make environmentally washing powder at home, etc. The list is endless. In fact, I always make a lame joke about Google being my best friend. S/he never lets me down with good advice. ;)

10. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I have had problems with my smartphone and I didn't have a clue of what to do to solve the problem. Went online and got the information of for fixing the problem which saved me the cost of going to a so-called expert to solve the problem.

11. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have fixed minor problems like clogged toilets with how to sites. One time we fixed a garbage disposal by consulting a how to site. If anything seems beyond my scope I don't attempt it though; Doing things wrong, can end up costing you money rather than saving it!

12. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    This is one of the things I love about the internet and the easy access to almost anything we want to learn just with one click of a button. As I've said in another thread before, I have recently been looking into videos on how to cut my own hair and do my bangs because I feel like I need to have my hair done in time for my son's graduation but since I only need a trim and I need a little bit of bangs on the side, I thought of looking into You Tube for "how to" videos on doing haircut on my own. Instructional videos and articles do help a lot in saving for services that we can do ourselves. :)

13. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have saved a lot of money through looking for tutorials online - because it means that I don't have to pay other people to do things that I could quite easy do myself, which is just great really. It is always worth having a look online before you hire anybody for anything just to see how easy it is, because a lot of people realise that things are easier than we might think, and then come to the conclusion that they could, indeed, just do things themselves instead.

14. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I save a lot of money because I can upload software to my hosting using cPanel. However, I forgot if some how-to instructions showed me how to do it, or if I just figured it out myself. Anyway, the price for someone else uploading one type of software is ridiculous. I saw that one software company was charging 40 USD to do it.

15. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I have used "How to" websites many times from cooking recipes to troubleshooting my cell phone.

They are truly helpful and the beat part is they usually are useful when you really need help. Not to mention that they are free too.

16. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I am not sure about the final decision,but sometimes when you read these self-help blogs or websites,they can take some of the anxiety out of you and give you enough insight into the problem to make your own decision- or it could give you ideas to do some more research on the task at hand. This online research could really help you save time and money as well on the subject.

17. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    You are right there have been many times such sites or videos have saved me a lot of cash. I once watched a YouTube video where I learned how to fix my android phone as if I would have gone to a tech it would have cost me way too much. I also learned how to fix many other things. They are also helpful by giving lessons on many subjects.