How to win friends and influence people

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Mayvin • Apr 3, 2014.

1. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    Has anyone read this book? I've had it sitting on my shelf collecting dust, (I got it from someone else) and was thinking of picking it up. Heard it was really useful for alot of people. Curious to know if anyone has read it and what you thought?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've read the book but just like all other self-empowerment books go, they don't guarantee anything. You can only be able to win friends and influence people only if you stick to doing what they say which if you ask me is very much the same thing extroverts do all the time. So if you don't like meeting people, this certainly won't help at all.

3. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't read it. But you should give it a try it as you said you have heard its been useful and the previous post implies it wasn't to them. That in itself proves that everybody is different and what works for one might not work for another. Only way you will know if you find it useful is if you read it.

4. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I think you have to have a good attitude and put in effort for these kinds of self-help books to work. I doubt it would help me. I like books that explain the psychological and scientific reasons for why people do things or behave a certain way. The reason I'm doubtful is because I've read other self-help books before and they have the same sort of encouragement that you can find somewhere else or have someone else tell you for free.

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't read the book, as I don't feel the need to win friends and influence people. I figure that if you can listen to what another person is telling you, I mean really listen without interrupting them, you are already half way there to become his or her friend. Observe people, make note of what they like or dislike, and act accordingly to make them feel comfortable. Soon you will find that they enjoy your company and like to listen to your thoughts and advice. Keep it going from there.

6. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You say that you haven't read the book, but you pretty much summed up the book. I read it years ago. It's a good book. I really enjoyed.

7. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    I do not believe in winning friends.

I believe in being myself, at all times, and letting people choose for themselves if they like me, or not. I think that is the way it should be. i would not want to be friends with someone who i have to put on an act for.

Either someone likes me, or they don't. I am not going to lose any sleep over it. That is the way you have to be, or people will take advantage of you.

8. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I've heard about this book so much but haven't had time to get my own copy. I think I'll probably buy one soon. Hopefully i can get some really great ideas from this book and use them in my daily life to improve my social skills. ;P

9. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not so big on self-help books but I know for a fact that Dale Carnegie wasn't one to spout rhetorical statements. He's a been-there-done-that kind of guy so he basically knew what he was talking about when he wrote that book. I was able to read bits and pieces from the book but due to time constraints, I couldn't read everything. If you're up for it, you can start picking it up and give it a go. Perhaps the book will change your perspective for the better.

10. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have heard also the book. And I heard again from somewhere that's it's a sort of bestseller and the author really became influential after the release of the book. Nevertheless, I'm not the kind who's gonna buy because people say it's good. And in that particular book, I'm not gonna buy because I don't think I would need something like that. I don't need to win friends and be influential to other people. I'm on my own has right behavior to have good friends and in right character to strongly influence them the good things and characteristics that I possess.

11. GoldenWing

GoldenWingMember

Threads:
    My father owns that book and has tried to get my to read it. I don't think I'd find a lot of use for it, though. I consider I'm sociable enough and I have acceptable social skills, so I doubt I'll be taught anything I haven't done or even heard before.

I admit that I'm curious, though, but not enough to really read it.