How Wooden Chopping Boards Can Save You Money

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Denis Hard • Sep 10, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some people like plastic, glass or ceramic chopping boards while others like wooden chopping boards but little do they know that using wooden chopping can save them a little money.

Unlike plastic chopping boards which must be washed thoroughly with [dish washing] detergents to kill bacteria, wooden chopping boards don't need that. Just use some hot water and they're OK.

Some researchers proved that wooden chopping boards "kill" bacteria so using them lessens the risk of food poisoning just in case . . .

So since Using wooden chopping boards will save you some money on detergents why not use them?

#1Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    You're right. We have a wooden chopping board that I always just run with hot water after use and even though I still have to use dishwashing soap for it. I find I never have to use as much on it as compared to my plastic board. I still use them both equally though as they serve different purposes in my kitchen, and there are some ingredients that I prefer using plastic boards for, but yeah wooden boards are really the best.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've always used wooden ones and only recently when visiting friends have I seen plastic ones. I don't like how they can get damaged with knife cuts, which to me indicates they aren't that good. They may look nice and color coordinated, but they don't seem to last long and also I do worry about the hygiene issue if bacteria gets stuck in any of the scratches too.

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've heard this as well, and I'm sure it's fine when cutting stuff like fresh vegetables and herbs - simply rinsing it off with a little water and wiping it dry. But I cannot get past the fact that I've just cut a bunch of raw poultry on it, and then I'm just going to rinse it off to "clean" it with a little water, and I can start chopping fresh vegetables on it now? Doesn't seem very safe to me. I don't even like re-using wooden utensils, if I am stirring raw meat around in a pan with them, without running them through the dishwasher first. I know you're not supposed to do that, but the last thing I want to get is food poisoning from raw meats.

5. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    :eek: As there is a wealth of reputable evidence that disputes this theory and this myth was debunked years ago - its almost frightening to think that its still circulating around the media.

Especially as any bacteria - such as that from raw meats or fish - on a wood cutting board doesn't just sit on the surface or the top layer - due to the fact that - as wood has natural properties that allow bacteria to pass through the top layer - it passes through the top and then settles inside the cutting board - where its extremely hard to remove - therefore - just rinsing a cutting board under a tap - would very definitely be a health hazard and put you at risk of contracting any of a long list of extremely unpleasant food borne illnesses.

In fact - what was found - is that there is no significant antibacterial benefit between using a plastic cutting board or a wood one - providing they are washed and sterilized after each use or better still - have different cutting boards for each different type of food preparation - as that way you are even less likely to contract any form of food borne illness.

6. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It
    is funny, I have heard the opposite. I have heard from a variety of sources that wooden cutting boards can be dangerous because salmonella can hide in the cracks and crevices of the board, and that plastic cutting boards are much safer. I love the look of wooding cutting boards, and if they could be sealed, I think that would the answer in terms of the boards, but few are.

7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer the wood chopping board also. I can kill it with a lemon and know I am killing the germs that maybe on the board. The plastic cutting boards get knicked with the knife when I am chopping vegetables and fruit on the board. Our board is white and gets stained often.

8. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I really like my wooden cutting board too. I love that it doesn't get the cutting lines in it like plastic cutting boards do. I always think those cuts in the plastic is where the bacteria can live. I also find a wooden cutting board is better for my chef's knife. It doesn't dull as quickly and therefore, I don't have to sharpen it as often. It's a lot of work to take care of the plastic boards, although I do run them through the dishwasher as well. But I find with the stains from carrots, I'm using a bit of bleach to get out the colour.

9. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    I guess regardless of the type of chopping board you are using, if you are ever using it for raw meats/seafood with potential bacteria on it, it is never wise to just rinse it off with water alone and assume it is all gone. Take an analogy - if you were rolling around in a tub full of raw chicken, your skin is meant to be water proof and impermeable to bacteria (provided you have no cuts etc.); would you take a bath without soap since your skin repels the bacteria and water? I doubt so!

Bacteria is invisible to the naked eye. Even if your board feels squeaky clean and your knife does not make cutting lines in the wood, the bacteria is still around. Place it back on the rack and it will grow without you seeing it.

In terms of caring for a wooden board though, when you first buy it, rubbing the surface with one to two coats of edible oil can help to maintain its shine and also helps repel oils from meats, making it easier to wash off. However, this does not mean not having to use detergent. It just makes life easier for the person doing the dishes!

10. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Are you saying, then, if I chop up a load of chicken on a wooden board, rinse it off with water and then slice some bread on it, there's no risk of cross contamination? Sorry but I just cannot accept this.I'm pretty sure doing this is a one-way ticket to severe food poisoning. I'll continue to wash my glass board with red hot water and washing up liquid thanks, this is one instance where I really don't care about saving money.